#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just watched a YouTube review of Psychonauts 2.  It was pretty glowing, and once upon a time I would have been all over a game like this.  I loved Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and—godammit—even Donkey Kong 64.  I should love the look of Psychonauts 2, and what’s more I can play it for “free*”.  But I just don’t even know if I can even be bothered to even download it.  Something happened somewhere along the way and suddenly I’m not the gamer I used to be.  I suppose I discovered my niche and just really doubled down on it as I got older.

What about you?  Are there some games or genres you once loved and now can’t stomach at all?  Do you find your genre preference funnelling into ever smaller spaces as you get older?
    Get schwifty.
  • Pretty much all of them.

FPS though.  God I loved Goldeneye and PD.  I just can't be arsed with any of them now.  What the fuck even is crafting anyway?

x
  • I find it’s not that I dislike them, but some games I just don’t have the time (or want to find the time for) and would rather clear some of my ‘backlog’ instead.

I was a huge Guilty Gear fan back in the day, even played in the arcade when I could. I ended up owning and playing every single version till accent core plus, even buying older versions on ps2 (even Isuka…)

But I bought Xrd after it had been out a while, and maybe played it for a couple of hours. When Strive came out I cancelled my preorder. I really liked the Beta too, but I just know I won’t want to spend my time with it!
  • Games are way better now but the excitement has slowed with the tech. I can't think of many games outside of VR that wouldn't be just fine on a Xbox 360.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Big Civ fan here. Well, used to be. My enthusiasm for the series peaked with Civ 2 & 3. Rot set in with 4, and I bounced so hard off 5 it was untrue. Played the Switch version and while it was a very competent PC port, it was just so slow and bloated I lost interest in it big time. The lack of touch screen controls was just plain stupid, and despite having lots of time at my disposal to play these sort of games, I just could not be arsed.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I basically bought a laptop just so I could still play Civ3 (plus a cheeky bit of WoW).
    Get schwifty.
  • Could go through many a jrpg as a teen, just don't have it in me any more. Getting Xenomans 2 on Switch and putting nothing into it was the nail in the coffin.
  • Pretty much all of them.

FPS though.  God I loved Goldeneye and PD.  I just can't be arsed with any of them now.  What the fuck even is crafting anyway?

x

Deffo this ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Football games for me. Played every pro evo up to 6 and then slowly I drifted away. But even fifa would get solid playtime, especially the international specials (one of the World Cup ones, 2006 I think was a party fav) but now, I just can't be bothered.

At one point I could name the full pro evo master league line up by heart.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Nobody delivers childhood joy like Nintendo. They're still around for a reason. Also, red cabbage in a burger?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I enjoyed cute stuff as a kid, not so much any more. Won’t stop me playing something, but it just isn’t a style that I particularly care for.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Could go through many a jrpg as a teen, just don't have it in me any more. Getting Xenomans 2 on Switch and putting nothing into it was the nail in the coffin.

Definitely. Dragon Quest 11 is excellent but I got to a new area and just couldn't be arsed any more, despite enjoying it and finding it completely charming. Dunno what that's about. It's not that I don't like them
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I've realised I no longer really appreciate games without a reasonably well defined path to go down. I used to love exploring every corner of a game, looking for hidden bits, but with games becoming ever bigger, my willingness to do so has really declined.

I think it's probably a function of time too, I no longer have the time to spend doing that like I did when I was a wee lad.
  • Games are way better now but the excitement has slowed with the tech. I can't think of many games outside of VR that wouldn't be just fine on a Xbox 360.

With 512mb RAM, this isn't remotely true.
  • You need a kebab mate.
    With 512mb RAM, this isn't remotely true.

Oh no, lower res and textures! How will we cope?
  • You say that like people aren't buying new consoles to get higher resolution textures and smoother framerates.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Accidental Nazi
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've noticed I mainly, like 90% of my non-FM gaming time, spend 'gaming hours' on drop in and out games. Isaac, Spire, Luck Be a Landlord, Peggle, Trials, whatever the latest metroidvania is etc.

It's very very rare now I will sit down and devote the time to a AAA game to its finish, especially when half of them are 50 hour+ open world crafting, base building, sidequest fucked pieces of shit.

I've completed two AAA games this year. Thats about my average now. I used to bang out 10 a year or so. One of those was Resi 8, took like 10 hours.

Older age, adulthood, missus - my actual gaming time is way more limited and I'd rather just rinse something familiar, sounds off with some Jungle on the headphones.

I am gonna finish either Psychonauts or YAKLAD in these next 10 days of freedom though.
  • Accidental Nazi

Ha.
    I do it all the fucking time jew/new and ky/my. My kinky, racist, fat fingers.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What happened with RDR2? I know you started it but haven't seen anything more from you about it
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oh also fuck a Hard setting. Teens/twenties it was hard or extreme all the way. Just bang that shit on Normal now and have it done. Doom Eternal excluded.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What happened with RDR2? I know you started it but haven't seen anything more from you about it

I got through the prologue, explored a bit, got eaten by a bear, watched some shows, found some weird locations then realised it was gonna be a 100 hour time sink so I stopped.

It's magnificent, I just can't be arsed anymore with games that vast.

I probably game like 4 to 5 hours a week max and my memory can barely handle remembering my name so going a week without booting, I'm lost.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    You say that like people aren't buying new consoles to get higher resolution textures and smoother framerates.

Tell that to Raiziel.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    going a week without booting, I'm lost.

This is exactly my problem too
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I suppose I discovered my niche and just really doubled down on it as I got older. What about you?

Bloat. I like most of the same elements I did back in the day, but they're spread so much thinner now and it's not worth 90% grind for 10% enjoyment. It's the fun ratio that's changed for me, where more and more of my time's demanded to unlock the simple joys of control.
  • Hard agree on most here around fps and jrpg in particular.

Have a gaming laptop, but damn the hours on games that don't test it make me lol. $2500 on a G5 to run sts 90% of the time.

Age and diminishing returns in a lot of cases. But there are ebs and flows.

Sometimes it's a case of just taking a break from genres though.

Don't do that many racers these days, so dipping in with dirt or forza every few years gives it a wow factor.

Plus forza h is so well done for dirty casuals.

Dirt rally 2 not so much. Wowser.

Almost no mp for me as well. That's a change.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's definitely football games and first person shooters for me, specifically team based ones. Back in the day I'd have loved me some TF2, Quake 3, L4D, UT and the like, or a quick FIFA or Pro Evo. Nowadays the toxic environment around the former, and the straight up cash grabbing of the latter just make me do a hard bounce off. Apex had me for about 6 months, but I've lost that excitement too.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I still find time for some of the big bloat-fests, RD2 being a prime example which I believe is simply sublime.  However I do tire of all of the additional filler that is added to the mix of most games now.

I really don't enjoy in-game hunting (the odd story mission yes), crafting and such and I always avoid that kind of mechanic if I can.

However, I simply lapped up everything both Spider-Man and Miles had to offer 100%'ing both.  So, I do believe I have it in me to enjoy the more bloaty games.

As Face mentioned, sometimes I think all that's needed is a break away from the console and you'll come pack itching for some excitement.

Oh, and pickled red cabbage on a burger?!  That sounds lush!!
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!