Deathloop - Round and round we go
  • I hope this gets much better. So far I think it’s bloody awful. Maybe only an hour or so in but man…
  • And here I am, about 90 minutes in and I’m beginning to think it might be brilliant.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Three hours in and there's no doubt it's brilliant.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • But does it actually feel next gen?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Feels more current gen.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It feels like the same gen over and over and over.  But it’s a real good gen.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    But does it actually feel next gen?

Looks really pretty, but doesn't feel like a next-gen experience. Feels like a PC game.
  • Somehow I expected it to look more stylised. Not quite to the extent of the orange and black cut scene things but certainly more so than what we have. The world feels like it needs some more colour or pizzazz somehow.
  • I'm finding the way the leads work pretty immersion breaking such as...

Spoiler:
  • If you want to justify it colt knows a lot of stuff. Even if you don’t know it
  • Somehow I expected it to look more stylised. Not quite to the extent of the orange and black cut scene things but certainly more so than what we have. The world feels like it needs some more colour or pizzazz somehow.

Definitely. It’s not ultra realistic or ultra stylised so largely it looks a little dull. Some bits like the interior of Colts flat and a couple of the bars etc are nice but they should have had the environment similar to the enemies in terms of the use of colour.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I think my main issue is that the nature of you unlocking objectives on your loops just makes it feel less of a time loop and more of just a straightforward game of following objectives.

There's some cool stuff like making sure X happens before noon so you can do X in the evening etc, but often that X leads to another X that you can't do yet so you just have to do the original thing yet again on another loop.

I'm enjoying it, but finding about a 50/50 split of fun and monotony.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Think Arkane are one of those studios who's games attract positive reviews regardless of it's particular merits. Like if this was from another company would it be getting drooled over in such a way?

Will be a pass from me anyway, never really clicked with Dishonored (even though I did enjoy the 6-7 hours I had with the original).
  • I've now reached the point that I can have a run at a loop. All the pieces are lined up, but you have to execute them all, without making a hash of it. All the time while, you have Julianna invading, trying to stop you. Feels like a different game, in some respects, at this point - as the consequences of failing have just got bigger and you can't skip any particular element.
  • Re: Invading. I've had some awesome PvP games on this so far. I'll put up a video later, but the player was trying to snipe me and had successfully done so 2 times, so was probably thinking they were going to get the win. I, however, crept from the place they'd taken me out to right behind them, without being spotted. A couple of shotgun blasts and I had removed them from my game. Felt ace.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Think Arkane are one of those studios who's games attract positive reviews regardless of it's particular merits. Like if this was from another company would it be getting drooled over in such a way? Will be a pass from me anyway, never really clicked with Dishonored (even though I did enjoy the 6-7 hours I had with the original).

You're missing the point - there are no other companies making games like these. Not since Square Enix put Eidos Montréal on Marvel duty and halted the fine work they were doing with the Deus Ex series. 

And the bottom line is these games will never gel with everyone. I am the search-every-nook-and-cranny kinda of gamer and there is no gaming expression I enjoy more than exploring dense, intricate 3D-worlds that lets me do shit while also constantly thinking and planning. That's the so called Immersive sim.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Re: Invading. I've had some awesome PvP games on this so far. I'll put up a video later, but the player was trying to snipe me and had successfully done so 2 times, so was probably thinking they were going to get the win. I, however, crept from the place they'd taken me out to right behind them, without being spotted. A couple of shotgun blasts and I had removed them from my game. Felt ace.

Only played as Colt so far, but I've had great success in just laying down some proximity mines when invaded and holding a position. Especially effective from the high ground. I'd say around halve my PvP wins have come from Julianna triggering a mine.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Re: Invading. I've had some awesome PvP games on this so far. I'll put up a video later, but the player was trying to snipe me and had successfully done so 2 times, so was probably thinking they were going to get the win. I, however, crept from the place they'd taken me out to right behind them, without being spotted. A couple of shotgun blasts and I had removed them from my game. Felt ace.
    Only played as Colt so far, but I've had great success in just laying down some proximity mines when invaded and holding a position. Especially effective from the high ground. I'd say around halve my PvP wins have come from Julianna triggering a mine.

I got invaded right after getting called away from the console to help one of my kids.  I came back to discover someone had managed to get the easiest kill in history...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd happily turn it off completely and find it an unnecessary annoyance.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I thought you could only turn it to single player, in which case Julienne becomes way too easy?

• Sorry, I mis-understood.  Yeah, you can do that but I’m not very good at games so I don’t find her too easy.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll be turning the invasions off. Does nowt for me. Easy AI please.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Invasions always seem to happen when I'm trying to search or work out a puzzle, and they just piss me off no end.

Still not seeing a 10/10 goty game in this, but there's some good stuff in there. I just don't think it's a good stealth game, or a good action game. So....the side stuff and puzzles are keeping me interested.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It maybe helped Arkane slightly that Thief [4] was so bad.
  • Deathloooooooop

I’ve seen the end. Matched expectations.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Colt sounds like he was written by thirsty white nerds who'd just watched Bad Boys.

First game to animate convincing running honds when.

Johnson.gif
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm a bit pissed off. Has anyone found the
    Spoiler:

I was having a great time trying to work out this elaborate series of clues, and was convinced I'd sussed a part out.
    Spoiler:
    , but couldn't get it to work. So I tried some of the other leads and couldn't get that to work either.

After spending about 3 hours in total on this, looping around and repeating the same routes at different times to see if that made a difference I gave up and Googled for a hint. Turns out I'm doing it all right (exactly as the guide said), it just isn't working. At all.

So, now I'm wondering whether it's broken and to give up, or I don't know what. Wasted time. Do I even bother with other side stuff?

Utter horseshit tbh. This fucking game. One minute I'm having fun, the next I think all reviewers have been paid in crack by Bethesda to review it. Bizarre.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Also this keeps happening.

tTW8kYv.jpg

No matter what I do the weapon info and trinkets are permanently on the screen until I do a reboot.

And also had this happen a few times.

https://twitter.com/FranticPea/status/1439167728045207559?s=19

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!