Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's an option.

The annoying thing is part of me still wants to try and do the thing that's not working, as it was really cool until I hit the wall. I want to see it to the end but can't.

It'll eat me up.
  • Fire is definitely your friend here.
  • I had a couple of locks. I felt like it was connected to saving into the cloud and pausing or looking at the menu at the same time, but I could be wrong. All I could do is a shut down and relaunch of the game. I’d say it happened 2-3 times during my 20 hours with the game.
  • Had a great PvP last night. Julianna invaded Updaam, so I took the rear window into my apartment and hacked the antenna from inside, then went back out of the rear window and onto the roof where I had a clear shot at Julianna who was sat camped out watching the window on the opposite side. I completely outwitted her and it felt great. This off the back of a good run progressing the main story and playing around with new slabs.

Also...
    Spoiler:
    Despite my minor complaints, very much enjoying this.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just done an hour. Love the aesthetic and writing. Wonderful to control on m&k too.

@Silke - have you tried the beta code to improve stuttering?
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Think Arkane are one of those studios who's games attract positive reviews regardless of it's particular merits. Like if this was from another company would it be getting drooled over in such a way?

Will be a pass from me anyway, never really clicked with Dishonored (even though I did enjoy the 6-7 hours I had with the original).

It’ll review incredibly and sell fuck all and the time
    Loop of me saying that about three weeks ago will be complete
    The Forum Herald™
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Just done an hour. Love the aesthetic and writing. Wonderful to control on m&k too. @Silke - have you tried the beta code to improve stuttering?

I have no stuttering whatsoever. Have lost progress due to this crash though. Note to self and others: never spend too much time on a single run.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Wonderful to control on m&k too.

Master.gif
  • How did this game get 10's ffs. I'm a few hours in and it's bang average. The AI is absolutely shocking and gunplay and general movement is just about serviceable. It doesn't even look particularly pretty. The world's gone mad...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Covid delays have thrust the games that are being released to the fore, and this has pretty big No One Lives Forever/TimeSplitters energy.

So it feels fresh to a lot of people who've been stuck in an FPS loop for years playing the same stuff, even if it is just a repaint. Plus, paid reviewers have to back a few horses to help sustain their future livelihoods.

But y'know, some folk are enjoying it for what it is and that's fine.
  • It's decent enough but it sure ain't a 10 - or a 9 for that matter, or even an 8. That much is clear already to me. I'm playing an acceptable example of a Bioshock game. I've been trying to be 'creative' with my play style but what's the fucking point when you give me a big orange diamond to follow at all times on my HUD and hold my hand through every single moment? I'm sorry but I'm just gonna go that route. The game provides little reason to choose otherwise. The alternative to the violence has to be fun and rewarding. The stealth shit in this game is already pissing me off. It's the Hitman syndrome for me - what's more fun - crouching behind a crate for five minutes or shooting fuck out of everything and moving on? The amount of 10's this game got is suspicious and indicative of the state of videogames in these times. It's a run of the mill stealth shooter drummed up to be a banger. It just isn't a great game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The amount of 10's this game got is suspicious.

It’s fair enough if you don’t enjoy the game, but this is just heading into conspiracy territory. I’m not the biggest fan of Arkane games either, but people do like different things, and it’s entirely possible, likely even, that your subjective opinion of the game simply doesn’t match up with the subjective opinions of many others who played the game.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The reviewing industry's naturally inclined towards softening criticisms to present them more amicably to fanbases. Cf. the Star Wars prequels and Matrix sequels, where you'd struggle to find a critic who praised them who holds that same view today.

It's not a bad thing that this happens, since anyone enthusiastic about a medium aligns with this small-lie positivity more often than not, getting the insight they want. You can give The Red Chicken a [4] all day long, but it's a brave editor who greenlights that score for a new Halo.

Away from the big industry-fuelling titles it's interesting how things change, where for example the Tekkens review averagely now they're beyond console-selling status, with scores that suit neither fans* nor everyone else.

*Except me, because I think the series peaked with Dark Res and haven't shut up yet!
  • Escape wrote:
    Plus, paid reviewers have to back a few horses to help sustain their future livelihoods.
    Do they now? I'd better make a note of that. It's a good job we've got an expert here.
  • Yossarian wrote:

It’s fair enough if you don’t enjoy the game, but this is just heading into conspiracy territory. I’m not the biggest fan of Arkane games either, but people do like different things, and it’s entirely possible, likely even, that your subjective opinion of the game simply doesn’t match up with the subjective opinions of many others who played the game.

I don't see what is so special about this game though. You move around a map dispatching goons and finding some bits and bobs - documents and audio logs for the most part. Maybe some new abilities. That's really about the extent of the game. You can almost entirely ignore the loop part of it. It's not progressing into some kind of action packed marvel, nor is it particularly exciting to play. It plays almost exactly like a Dishonored game, and that didn't get 10's all over the place. I just find it strange how it reviewed so well.
  • JonB wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    Plus, paid reviewers have to back a few horses to help sustain their future livelihoods.
    Do they now? I'd better make a note of that. It's a good job we've got an expert here.

Did you review the game Jon?
  • You can very very simply chose not to have the markers marking you marks. Lose them and things feel much less like follow my leader.
  • And yes the Timesplitter vibes are huge in this.  Much more so than the Bioshock comparisons.
  • Yossarian wrote:

I don't see what is so special about this game though. You move around a map dispatching goons and finding some bits and bobs - documents and audio logs for the most part. Maybe some new abilities. That's really about the extent of the game. You can almost entirely ignore the loop part of it. It's not progressing into some kind of action packed marvel, nor is it particularly exciting to play. It plays almost exactly like a Dishonored game, and that didn't get 10's all over the place. I just find it strange how it reviewed so well.

Dishonored 2 is currently on the same metacritic of 88 and dishonored 91 . Arkhane games always review incredibly well.

I did predict great reviews - just saying
    The Forum Herald™
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I'm leaning towards Chalice's view on this one.

I am enjoying the game; the in-game presentation and style are really great.  

However the combat and AI are a bit of a let-down.  The way the character "feels" when I'm traversing the environment is a bit off too; best way to describe it is that it feels like a PC FPS.  Which it is I suppose.
  • I'm assuming the enemy AI ramps up at some point or they get more bullet spongey, because at the minute I'm clearing whole maps with a basic grey pea shooter with no trinkets. It's stupidly easy to just kite goons into a bottleneck and wipe them all out. It's fairly laughable tbh. Not many reviews mention how bad the AI is. I'm wondering why I even need any of these high quality weapons and abilities. I've used shift about twice. It doesn't seem worth it. I tried to shift to a rooftop opposite me but apparently it doesn't have the range to reach it, despite the purple marker telling me I could get there. So I just dropped like a stone and blew my cover. Tried the same gap again next loop with the double jump and made it - so I've just stuck with that. You seem to be able to get to most places with the double jump alone. Shift just seems a bit pointless. The trinkets have not been very exciting so far either. Hopefully upgrading them will improve it but again, what's the point in any of that stuff when the game is so easy?
  • You’re actually describing part of the game, Chalice.

If you have decided to go all action, then you don’t really need shift. Shift is for stealthy players - and yes you can upgrade it so that it goes further (note, it isn’t the cursor that shows you where you’ll land, but the mark on the floor). You’d be better off with the Havock slab, or the one that throws enemies (I forget it’s name - Karnesis, maybe).

The AI is dumb, but towards the end, you will get overwhelmed by numbers if you don’t prepare for an assault with the right kit.

The game may not be for you, or others. It starts out relatively easy, but by the time you get to the final run, with little margin for error and Julianna trying to stop you (which becomes more frequent later in game), I t’s a different experience to going into the map to do one thing and back out again in the early stages.
  • JonB wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    Did you review the game Jon?
    JonB wrote:

For what it's worth I'm enjoying it, but can see the reticence.  I definitely feel like it's improving as I get into it - the more power I have, the more fun it becomes - but I'm also finding it frustrating at times.  (This is partly down to me - I'm forever dying before I can get to a spot to save my stuff.)  The issue of hand holding is an interesting one - I usually just turn off the directions unless I'm lost, but, yes, it does fairly heavily signpost what you're supposed to do, which works against the illusion that there might be multiple solutions.  I never feel like I've outwitted the game, just done what it intended.

As for the AI?  Yes they're phenomenally stupid for the most part, but to be fair most of them are supposed to be drunk, stoned or both. For me it helps emphasise the difference when Julianna turns up. (And let's be honest, I quite like my game opponents to be cannon fodder anyway.)

I guess I'd have given it an 8 - but it is at least doing something slightly different for once, and there's a lot to admire.  I don't feel any particular reason to doubt the sincerity of a 10/10 (but nor would I accuse a low score of clickbait, it's just one of those divisive titles...)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Escape wrote:

You don't need expertise to see what's obvious: that games are a huge market in which ongoing, unyielding negativity towards their evolution hurts the prospects of every review outfit, for whom encouraging game sales is symbiotic.

Not that any of us care for streams of whinge, it's just innate that media reviews are opposed to that path by design and desire, the door ajar for elevated scores in response to creative depressions. You don't want someone like me or Brooks reviewing games these days, so I'm not criticising the practice, just highlighting its nature.

We've all tried to kid ourselves we're enjoying something as much as we used to when the magic's gone.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think reviewers have the power to bring down the games industry, TBH. I doubt many reviewers think that either.
  • There are only a few actual 10s anyway (5/5s are not the same thing - I would've given it a 9/10).

And overall it's on 88 on Metacritic, which is very good but hardly amazing.

Still, I stand by it being one of the best games of the year. I found it easy at first, although not as easy as some are saying, and to me that felt liberating. Not having to worry too much about getting spotted brought out more of the playful elements of Dishonored. I immediately started mucking about with everything, including the dumb enemies.

But I think the real quality is in the repetition. Returning to an area with a different set of powers, or better knowledge of the layout, makes it a different prospect. Plus you might always stumble upon an alternate objective, or a hidden part of the level that's worth exploring in its own right. And then naturally there are bigger challenges as you come towards the final plan. You can't go noisy in Fia's factory, for instance.

It is a power fantasy though. You're a superhero who can get killed but can't die, knows more than everyone else, and eventually can turn invisible, teleport etc. Even if you don't find it challenging, it's fun to play around with the possibilities they've laid out. I can't think of another game that makes that so enjoyable.

When I eventually finished the game, I killed all the visionaries at the expense of only 4 bullets. Was that necessary? No. Was it fun to figure out and execute? Oh yes.
  • Escape wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    You don't need expertise to see what's obvious: that games are a huge market in which ongoing, unyielding negativity towards their evolution hurts the prospects of every review outfit, for whom encouraging game sales is symbiotic.

Not that any of us care for streams of whinge, it's just innate that media reviews are opposed to that path by design and desire, the door ajar for elevated scores in response to creative depressions. You don't want someone like me or Brooks reviewing games these days, so I'm not criticising the practice.
    If you mean that current games writers tend to be the type of people who like current games, then duh, I guess. People with unyielding negativity towards games are unlikely to subject themselves to playing them at length. Most reviewers are going to appreciate the better examples they come across and praise them accordingly.

If you think (most) review outlets have some kind of agenda pushing for more positive reviews, then you're dead wrong. 

As ever, it seems like your generally negative opinion of modern games (most of which you don't play) is the issue. You can't understand why people like these games. Well, they do.
  • I'll keep going with it when I get a chance, although the story really isn't pulling me along. It's a bit silly. All the characters are highly annoying which doesn't help.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t think reviewers have the power to bring down the games industry, TBH. I doubt many reviewers think that either.

That's the interesting part, because your Call of Duties and FIFAs do massive numbers every year against tougher reviews. It's only human that we swerve constant griping; whether we agree with individual reviews far less important.

The idea of the critic is to try and shape something they love for the better, but when you've fallen off the wagon there's no reinage, shaking a fist as it rolls away. I'd describe myself as a nongamer now, but my fascination with gaming's potential hasn't really diminished. I've become without a healthy platform to express my feelings, is all, so in general I don't.

JonB wrote:
    If you think (most) review outlets have some kind of agenda pushing for more positive reviews, then you're dead wrong.

As ever, it seems like your generally negative opinion of modern games (most of which you don't play) is the issue. You can't understand why people like these games. Well, they do.

I do get why people like this, and that's the whole point of my original comment.

It's really me pondering the impossibility of gauging a critic's integrity. If I reviewed this I'd probably give it a [3] or something, because I crave much fresher experiences, but I flatout wouldn't review it because I realise the ridiculousness of my position.

For millions of less jaded folk it will be fresh, balanced by a growing number who've seen it before and want a change of direction. You can single-review it for both groups, just not score it without bias.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!