Deathloop - Round and round we go
  • The games of today are not even half of what games were ten - fifteen years ago. We're all paying much more for less. Triple A games are so by the numbers now they're barely worth bothering with. It's nice to see a game like Deathloop get some love, but I don't see it as a benchmark for anything.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Old man raging at the sky. And music isn’t what it used to be etc.
  • Well he's right about that...

Thing is games are better than ever and there's more variety than ever but as they've gotten more expensive the consumer has become more risk averse and publishers don't give developers too many chances.. couple of duds and the doors are closed... If you are interested in new IP buy them. Day one. Don't wait for a discount.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But then there’s also a thriving indie scene that offers loads of new experiences and ideas and innovation.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And fuck paying £70 for a game that I’m not sure I’m going to love.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    But then there’s also a thriving indie scene that offers loads of new experiences and ideas and innovation.

The tragedy is that people were saying that in the '00s and here we are. A lot of Christmas releases this year are franchise 5s and 6s.

Returnal and Deathloop stand out in that regard.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think that negates anything I’ve said? Sure, the Christmas release schedule has become dominated by a handful of mega-franchises, but outside of that, the indie scene now is massively bigger than it was back in the ‘00s, there are loads more indie games coming out, more routes to market, tooling that has improved massively allowing for a much higher standard of presentation and so on.

I’m also pretty sure that if we were able to look back at the maroonrum we would find many of the same complaints about risk aversion and samey experiences then as there are now.
  • I think we may all agree that the high scores across the board have done this game no favours in how it is being received by gamers. I much prefer the Eurogamer style of recommended/essential, but even then, an essential gets interpreted as a 10 by score aggregators.

This is an 8 by the way.

Anyway, I'm finding that I get a PvP Julianna invasion every single time I start a level, as soon as I exit the tunnel. Would like it to be a bit more random than that, as thrilling as it is. This also means I'm not really having to take out visionaries for most slab upgrades.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’m also pretty sure that if we were able to look back at the maroonrum we would find many of the same complaints about risk aversion and samey experiences then as there are now.

That's what I meant: I was getting at the adoption angle, where posters on PC Gamer's old forum in particular were hopeful of an indie vanguard. Roguelikes and crafting have crossed over; anything else?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Battle Royales, for sure.

But most types of games you’ll be able to find examples from both big and small devs, surely?
  • The games of today are not even half of what games were ten - fifteen years ago. We're all paying much more for less. Triple A games are so by the numbers now they're barely worth bothering with. It's nice to see a game like Deathloop get some love, but I don't see it as a benchmark for anything.
    The thing is for me, it was 10-15 years ago that it was getting very dull and predictable. More and more games were streamlined, hand-holding cinematic experiences. The early 2000s to the first years of the 360/PS3 were pretty barren for me, and it took Dark Souls and some indies to shake that up. Now there's a wider range of games at all levels than ever. That means more of the same old shit, of course, but also more innovation.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    BRs, o' course.

But I'm unsure we've arrived at that hoped-for future where indies and big-money games have fallen in mutually beneficial creative concert. Not that I've given it enough thought to nail that on. Life Is Strange: True Colors is a recent example of the twain.

Much as I complain about franchises, I find it disappointing that Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Edith Finch and others get left behind. More in the same creative mould'd be nice.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not really sure that indies and major pubs should be doing the same sort of thing, to be honest. Indies should be about offering alternatives to what’s on offer from the majors, this is the case in pretty much any creative field you care to name. If the major publishers were offering what the indie scene was offering, there wouldn’t be any need for an indie scene.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    I think we may all agree that the high scores across the board have done this game no favours in how it is being received by gamers. I much prefer the Eurogamer style of recommended/essential, but even then, an essential gets interpreted as a 10 by score aggregators.
    It's also worth pointing out that Metacritic artificially inflates scores with its method. For them 10/10 or 5/5 = 100. But when you're working on a 5 point scale, it's just meant as a rough guide. If you want to get mathematical about it, it covers 81-100%, an average of 90.5%.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    If the major publishers were offering what the indie scene was offering, there wouldn’t be any need for an indie scene.

Depends how you view indie: as too untested to throw money at, or a deliberate counterculture.

I think it'd be good if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo had ideas divisions, with a single large team split into several middleware-supported groups to punt out six-monthly concepts.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    If the major publishers were offering what the indie scene was offering, there wouldn’t be any need for an indie scene.

Depends how you view indie: as too untested to throw money at, or a deliberate counterculture.

I think it'd be good if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo had ideas divisions, with a single large team split into several middleware-supported groups to punt out six-monthly concepts.

... they do. At least Nintendo does.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Why hasn't someone been crafty and smuggled in a Pilotwings?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:

From all accounts, Microsoft are allowing their devs full creative freedom, so if that’s what they want to do, they should be able to do it.

There’s some talk that Double Fine may be going back to bring a multi-project studio, Obsidian have three or four teams working on various things at the moment.

Whether they’ll be doing six month projects or not will be up to them.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Game Pass is a great home for creative gambles, but where's the price going...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Probably nowhere for a good few years yet. Maybe once Microsoft hit 50 or 100m subscribers that might change.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    They've got me at the Randolph and Mortimer price.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    The games of today are not even half of what games were ten - fifteen years ago. We're all paying much more for less. Triple A games are so by the numbers now they're barely worth bothering with.

This is why I have started to see this trend with me by where usually now every summer I take a few months off games and just enjoy the long evenings and other mediums. And even now, I am back playing a little and it's Destiny I have gravitated towards.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    But then there’s also a thriving indie scene that offers loads of new experiences.

Yes that's why its' actually better than ever cos there's lots of different avenues to explore now.
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bob speaks the truth, gaming is better than it's ever been from a choice viewpoint.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Going back to what Jon said:

The thing is for me, it was 10-15 years ago that it was getting very dull and predictable. More and more games were streamlined, hand-holding cinematic experiences. The early 2000s to the first years of the 360/PS3 were pretty barren for me, and it took Dark Souls and some indies to shake that up. Now there's a wider range of games at all levels than ever. That means more of the same old shit, of course, but also more innovation.

That was the broadband era when 360 and PS3 led a console multiplayer boom. The best Call of Duty, Bad Company, Uncharted, and so on. Also the high years of the PS2's most creative output.

Big multi- versus singleplayer split overall, so preferences, but I'm a bit surprised by your lack of affection for the latterday PS2. I loved the PS3's early online years, but think most of those series have gone downhill since.
  • Does anyone else get invaded 100% of the time on starting a level with a visionary present? I do. Would prefer it to be occasionally. Not every single time I try to take out a target.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've been invaded alot the last few times I've played. It's very tedious.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!