Deathloop - Round and round we go
  • I get invaded every single time I start a level with a visionary present within seconds of leaving the tunnel. I'm surprised it is skewed in this way. I would have thought there were much more Colt players than Julianna players. Maybe most can't be arsed with it and have online switched off. Either way, the game does a terrible job of managing how and when you can be invaded. It is completely predictable and doesn't feel sporadic (which I suspect was the aim).

Thinking back to the Souls games, they handled this mechanic much more gracefully by allowing you to only be invaded when in human form, rather than just having a big on/off button.
  • I can’t get this game out my head. I just want to play it. I think the way the game hangs mysteries in the air and the way you uncover them is a really attractive quality.
  • I’ve got it set to friends only because, frankly, there’s nothing worse than internet gamers. Present company excepted.
  • I can’t get this game out my head. I just want to play it. I think the way the game hangs mysteries in the air and the way you uncover them is a really attractive quality.

Yeah, I agree with this. I’ve really grown to like it.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I can’t get this game out my head. I just want to play it. I think the way the game hangs mysteries in the air and the way you uncover them is a really attractive quality.
    Yeah, I agree with this. I’ve really grown to like it.

Yeah, can't say I recognize the game they're going on about on the previous page. To me this is a vertically adventurous detective game with some intense and enjoyable shootouts when the shit hits the fan.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • I'm pretty bored with this already. About seven hours in. The shooting ain't too bad, but the general movement and just getting about is just poor. There's something so whiffy about an Arkane game on consoles. The acceleration is off - not just in the aiming but in the movement of the character itself. It's terrible. Faffing about in these levels is getting tedious. It really just boils down to finding a clipboard or some such other mcguffin after loads of wandering about, and that will get you another quest marker for somewhere else to slog to. Those journeys are interspersed with some pretty weak and rather dreary shootouts with some goons. That's it really. That's the game. I can't imagine how bad this game would be with quest markers turned off. It's a nice idea this loop thing but I'm not finding it much fun. You will always end up just shooting some goons. Enemy variety is not a thing in this game. The bosses/visionaries have been laughably easy so far. I've barely used my abilities when my silent SMG pretty much does all the work needed without any trinkets on it even. The menus and upgrade screens are needlessly faffy, as is the silly fucking destiny style mouse pointer - that can get ta fuck - as can having to hold down buttons to do stuff - fuck that. The story itself is quite interesting but all in all I'm finding it a fucking drag.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's why PC is best.
  • I’m enjoying how much your not liking it.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've already posted that.

DEATHLOOP
  • It's why PC is best.

Aye should've got it on Steam. Cheaper too.
  • This guy makes me think "I'm playing it wrong"...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Deathloop/comments/psv8ws/i_call_this_technique_the_firepowerwork/

Has anyone tried attaching a proximity mine to a bottle yet?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I haven't used a single grenade, and completely forgot they even turn into mines etc.
  • I did a funny thing yesterday
    Spoiler:
  • I knew frantic and chalice would be playing it wrong
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I haven't used a single grenade as I've been stealthing mostly. Like the games wants you to (and even bring up a pause screen saying "WHOA THERE FELLA, DONT FORGET YOU CAN STEALTH INNIT" ) when you cause a ruckus for the first time.

Grenades tend to make a bit of a racket.

Also, the game is easy enough without them.

Also, nice trolling Bob. As per.
  • I think the shooting could be better but I’m happy with the dopey AI.

I think it’d be too much if everything was ruined by one mistake especially as you play the same four maps lots of times. I don’t think I want to have to wait for full cool downs the seventh time I’m playing a stage.
  • I think the shooting could be better but I’m happy with the dopey AI. I think it’d be too much if everything was ruined by one mistake especially as you play the same four maps lots of times. I don’t think I want to have to wait for full cool downs the seventh time I’m playing a stage.
    Exactly. Do it better next time instead.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    This guy makes me think "I'm playing it wrong"...

KickIt.gif
  • I read the ai change as you get further through the objectives.
  • The AI ramps up the more Visionaries you kill. They're still thick as fuck though. They're merely fodder. This game doesn't really suit long sessions. Short bursts and it's fine but it's hardly riveting. I find myself getting bored after a couple of hours. The Fourpounder is hellafun. I could do a straight shooter with just that gun and none of the loop nonsense.
  • Does the AI difficulty reset each loop then?

I agree that the game suits short sessions. I like to go into a loop looking to solve a specific puzzle or improve on a plan. By the end of that loop I will feel like I've achieved something. I am finding the detective work engrossing, but then again I am getting old/boring.
  • This game gets significantly better once you find the drop kick upgrade for the shift slab.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The AI ramps up the more Visionaries you kill. They're still thick as fuck though. They're merely fodder.

Collision detection looks off, too.

Visionaries.gif
  • This game gets significantly better once you find the drop kick upgrade for the shift slab.

The bit that turned it round for me was finding the...
    Spoiler:
    Lots of fun to be had with that one, and great for pissing off Julianna too.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    This game gets significantly better once you find the drop kick upgrade for the shift slab.
    The bit that turned it round for me was finding the...
    Spoiler:
    Lots of fun to be had with that one, and great for pissing off Julianna too.

Will keep an eye out for that one. Anything to piss off Julianna.

Played my first few games as Julianna last night. Enjoyed using Kinesis to throw human opponents into frozen water in Karl's Bay. Had a real cat and mouse prolonged match-up on The Complex. Footsteps are such a massive giveaway in this and really ramp up the tension. So satisfying to get one of the kills with a knife in the back.
  • Had a very uneven few hours on this last night. Came across some bugs. Anyone had the one where the loadout UI freezes over the rest of the menus forcing you to reboot? Had that twice now - the second time it happened I was halfway through a loop and had 29000 Residuum and a stack of slabs and weapons. Had to restart the fucking game and lost the lot. Needs patching pronto that.

I've also got a bug that won't let me infuse Karnesis. I've killed that visionarie so many times now and every time I infuse that fucking slab it's gone on the next run. Can't understand it. I've got all the upgrades for it which I apply to the slab each time but every loop I check and it's gone. I've lost other stuff I was sure I've infused too.

The highlight of the evening was Dorsey's mansion though. I burst through the door, took up a camping spot in a corner on the balcony and just sat there blowing eternalists away for about half an hour until there were none left. They just kept on coming through the door one after the other like lemmings. It was comical. It was like the N64 Goldeneye days. I must've slayed over fifty of them. Weapons and trinkets all over the floor. When I finished that area I had so many trinkets it took an hour or so to sort through them all.

Absolutely laughable AI. There's no defending it. I'm seeing many game journos trying to defend it saying it's part of the game but just come on FFS. Get a grip it's just flat out terrible AI. It was a lot of fun while it lasted but totally immersion breaking.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I find dumb AI quite refreshing, makes it more of a playground. Not into everything having razor tight pathing and flanking.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Had a very uneven few hours on this last night. Came across some bugs. Anyone had the one where the loadout UI freezes over the rest of the menus forcing you to reboot?

FranticPea wrote:
    Also this keeps happening.

tTW8kYv.jpg

No matter what I do the weapon info and trinkets are permanently on the screen until I do a reboot.

And also had this happen a few times.

https://twitter.com/FranticPea/status/1439167728045207559?s=19

Happened to me several times at this point. V annoying.
  • I find dumb AI quite refreshing, makes it more of a playground. Not into everything having razor tight pathing and flanking.

Yeah I mean I had fun but it is quite silly this stuff is still a thing in big budget games. Not once did one enemy even think about throwing a grenade where I was crouched, which would've scuppered me completely. And they do throw grenades occasionally ha ha.

• I find dumb AI quite refreshing, makes it more of a playground. Not into everything having razor tight pathing and flanking.

Yeah, this. I see them as playthings for me to experiment with.

When playing as Julianna they feel like my pawns and early warning indicator. If Colt gets into a scrap with them and I have a clear shot, it's over.

Also, I've not once managed to get to Charlie undetected. The Eternalists are easy to gun down but hard to stealth past. That's where the challenge is for me. Determined to crack taking him out with a perfect run.

Shame about the bugs. Not had many on PS5. One consistent one is when playing as Julianna, the left hand weapon switching doesn't appear to work sometimes (shows I've selected prox mine, but when I hit L1 she throws a grenade). Only other thing is the laggy Colt when playing at Julianna.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!