X randomly inspired me to.......... (A thread for Love Stories)

• Guardian's of the Galaxy 2

It was the first movie I watched with my son start to finish and in a wierd way it broadened my musical tastes and inspired me to learn guitar. It holds a special place for me. I can't hear the chain by Fleetwood mac now and not get goose bumps thinking about sitting there on the sofa at midnight with my 2/3 year old son who was poorly and couldn't sleep. He was not his self and I was tired but something magical happened and the movie grabbed his attention instantly through the sound track, the bright colours, groot dancing or whatever it was it held his attention for the entire movie which was a first.

The music on that sound track realy stuck with me to the point I picked up my daughters guitar I bought her a few months earlier which was just gathering dust and decided to start learning to play. I've now discovered all sorts of music I never would've listened to previous to watching this movie and i can't tell you how relaxing it is just to switch off and learn something on the guitar. It's incredible and it never stops giving and it all goes back to watching this movie in the circumstances I did.

I could go on and on but it strikes me that to most, guardians of the galaxy is probabley just another run of the mill marvel movie. To me it's one of my favourite movies ever now.

So tell us yours. What seemingly average game or movie have you fell in love with. What was it about the moment you consumed it that makes it so special and what has it inspired you to do that sticks with you to this day.

• That's a cracking tale.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Game:  Uncharted Waters Online.  My only forray into MMORPG.  It is not a good game but I took the role of an adventurer, sailing the seas looking for legendary artefacts.  I'm now mid way through a degree in archaeology.

Movie:  Stranger than fiction.  One of my mrs' favourite films.  As above, I picked a guitar up so I could play a song from it as a surprise at our wedding.  10 years later and now I'm a guitar person.  Still learning (and always will be) but have so much fun and have learned so much about genres of music I wouldn't have gone near otherwise. 

Side note to Cupatay - If you want any tips or suchlike about the guitar journey give me a shout.  I'm not a teacher but there are a couple of tips I'm happy to pass on.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Royal Tenenbaums - I was already half way on my journey to wanting to study film when this came out, but in my head I had the Matrix / Mission Impossible / anything else early 00s in my head and thought that going to study film and TV at Glasgow University would be just watching cool movies (side note - semester one of year one was eastenders and soaps)

But Tenenbaums opened my eyes to the complexities of mise en scene and how you could tell a story in so many other ways than just saying it. There's a million other movies that do it and do it better, but that was my gateway drug
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Posted here before on this...link below.

Asteroids and the 2600 pretty much inspired me get into what I do for a living now.

https://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/2549/indulge-me-asteroids-and-why-its-important-to-me/p1
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • THPS, to an entire subculture that defined how I dressed, what I watched/listened to for years. That game truly shaped me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    THPS, to an entire subculture that defined how I dressed, what I watched/listened to for years. That game truly shaped me.

Fuckn forgot about that. Seconded.
  • MV5BM2E1MjU5ZmUtYzJkMC00NDM2LTk1MjctMGY3ZGU4ZGNkNWFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_QL75_UX144_CR0,0,144,213_.jpg
    I was 17 years old. Or maybe just turned 18. Second date with a girl I really liked. We drove out to the big multiplex cinema on the edge of town without a plan to see anything particular. Walked in, and picked Threesome as the most interesting-looking film on the board. Never heard of it, no idea what kind of film it was.

It’s still a favourite of mine. Funny, and oh-so-’90s.

After the film we wandered out on the quayside instead of straight back to the car. It was a dark night. It was chucking it down. We got soaked. Leaning on some railings, looking out over the water. We haven’t spoken yet, since the film ended. She turns to face me, looks me in the eyes, and says “So who shall we get to join us, then?”

I’m a bit speechless. She carries on. “It’ll have to be a girl though. I think I’d like that better. Maybe I’ll ask Zoe in the morning. She likes you too, you know.”

So yeah. Still one of my favourite films.
  • Cheers Scot, maybe there should be a thread for the guitarists in the forum.

Love all the stories by the way.
  • I learned the flick up from the ISS2 intro at 22 seconds from seeing it on, um, the intro to ISS2. Hadn't come across it before that and then went out into the garden and had a play and it has been my main way of starting keepie-uppies ever since.

• Cupatay wrote:
    Cheers Scot, maybe there should be a thread for the guitarists in the forum. Love all the stories by the way.

We have this but it was focused on acoustic for the most part and has been dormant for a while:

http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/778/the-acoustic-music-discussion-thread#Item_380

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!