Grand Theft Auto - General Discussion
  • I loved Bushido blade and would rate it in my top 10 of all time.

Also GTA is a broken buggy mess.
  • They haven’t done enough to bring it up
    To
    Date - the gun play was always wank - there’s a
    Mission early on in SA which is essentially a drive by shoot out tutorial but if you drive slow enough to shoot them they almost annihilate your cars health and of course you have to do it three times so essentially the same as the original games your best bet is to
    Run over as many people as you can before engaging in gunplay
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • I still have Bushido Blade in a box somewhere.  Best tactic was to run around the arena like a demented loon and occasionally slash the opponent as you passed them.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I still have Bushido Blade in a box somewhere.  Best tactic was to leave it in the box in the attic for the rest of time .
    Fixed
  • Note the originals aren't going back on Steam.
  • Still seems reasonable effort.
  • And so About five hours into SA (I'd forgotten just how fucking slow the opening is ) and we get to the real meat of why it's aged so badly.

Three mission markers. One Can't be accessed until a certain time, Fair enough but there's no way of knowing until you get there. One needs a low rider car which is also fine but again no way of knowing until you get there.. so onto mission three.

Watch cut scene. Get on bike with AI chase other dude on bike. Absolutely no feed back from the shooting that there's anything going on.. I he taking damage? Don't know. Chase goes on for ever and the route is really bad, numerous thin lanes and right angle turns.. everything your bike touches makes it spin out of control AI guy falls off.. gotta get back on get him back on find the AI again.. it's fairly forgiving as the AI seems to stop quite often. Anyway eventually that ends with a shoot out. Do that. Can't get a car to stop to make my get away police turn up I get shot and killed and find there's no post chase checkpoint and I've got to do it all again.

It's just not much fun and I doubt I'll bother any further.
  • Thats the mission I sacked off.
    I did the other two so its the only mission available.
  • There is too much better stuff to play right now to bother with that crap.

So glad it came to Game Pass so I didn't spend money on it. Fixing the bugs will not make it a game worth my time.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    There is too much better stuff to play right now to bother with that crap. So glad it came to Game Pass so I didn't spend money on it. Fixing the bugs will not make it a game worth my time.

Yeah it needed more than just a tart up it needed bringing more up to date. Possibly putting it in the GTA 5 engine. Yeah I'm with you on teh game pass too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't remember which GTA I played. Might have been Vice City. I gave up at a bit where I was getting attacked by a group of cooks with cleavers. I just wasn't having fun but it was never going to be my thing. Thought it was worth giving it a go. Driving around was enjoyable but the shine came off it very quick.

I appreciate the games for what they are. They just aren't my thing. That remaster looks like a bit of a mess though - saw a video demoing how bad the new rain effect was implemented.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I enjoyed the first one but found the controls a bit fiddly and the PS port didn't seem to be up to much.  

Never bothered with III or Vice City as they didn't look like they played all that well to me.  Bought IV full price (swept up in hype I guess), played for a couple of hours, sold it.  Bought V (from Birdoff maybe?), played for a while but I don't think I got to control Trevor.  

Not a series for me, although I'll tip my hat to some of the choices for their country radio stations.
  • I was in the final stages of working on The Italian Job for PSOne when GTA III came out.  I was very proud of our game, but when i saw GTA III I felt like our game was a dinosaur already, before it was even released.
  • I've just noticed the AUTO part of GTA's avatar has been deliberately misaligned (or has it etc?). Surely only Andy would add this level of detail.
  • Actually it hasn't.

Surely only moot could be this wrong.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    San Andreas marked the beginning of Rockstar's railroading, reversing away from freedoms that made their previous games so much fun.

A lot of those were probably accidental from insufficient devtime, but it's not like we didn't voice approval. Restrictive missions are ill-suited to GTAs, and the harder Rockstar enforce harmony the further they get from their early appeal.
  • Biggest grossing media product ever probably has some appeal tbh.
  • I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
  • Certainly does look like a GTA.

Will be interesting to see if they take the detail of RDR2 into this. The detail of the world really suited the quiet of that game, not sure it will the constant noise of a GTA.
  • Those vids certainly show how much that extra visual polish adds to that type of game.
  • Insane that this guy is basically holding R* to ransom if the "we're negotiatng a deal" is legit. Considering the online monetisation they'll have in mind, you can bet they're terrified of more source code getting out
    PSN : time_on_my_hands

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!