SIFU: Fight with expert timing…
  • Hey Moot. Thanks but I think I’ll pass. Will only add more time to my backlog etc.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB wrote:
    I'm amazed you aren't even going to try it. There's a lot to be said for unlocking various moves and really getting to grips with the combat systems.

I planned to after an easy run, but the more I played the more I realised I wasn't likely to enjoy gradually overcoming the odds with practice anywhere near as much as cutting through bodies like briefly microwaved butter.  All I ever really wanted from this was a standard progression scrolling beat 'em up with an incredible combat system, and that's on offer post patch.  Regenerating feels a bit like popping an extra 20p in.   

Full thoughts here, for anyone eyeing up the sightseeing tour. Fwiw I think what I played would be my current GotY had it cost £20.
  • This is currently on sale in the PSN store, so I picked it up. It's great. Enjoying it more than I thought I would. Went from getting my arsed handed to me to hardly getting hit throughout the first area.

The combat flows beautifully.
  • It really is a fantastic game, would be my GotY if not for Elden Ring.
  • It really is a fantastic game, would be my GotY if not for Elden Ring.

Its absolutely my game of the year. Don't give up at the club drum, its a spike for most but beat the club level and the game starts to show you what it really is.
  • I've gotten to the boss at the end of the club but didn't quite beat him. I'm one of those players who will enjoy repetition and trying to perfect my style so won't be quitting.

Just scraping through doesn't give me much satisfaction.
  • It doesn't help you get very far in the next level either, so you don't really have a choice but to do it better.
  • I started it this week on Switch. Early impression about skill progress is it's pretty fast initially, although I'm sure a wall will come.

I've gone from dying on boss 1, to getting up to the boss in mid 20s (and coming back 70+) to defeating him under 30. Not great, but it shows at least a small improvement.

What's great is learning how good the controls and movement is when you get surrounded. Absolutely fluid switching between targets even though I probably shouldn't be getting in quite so much trouble I assume.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    What's great is learning how good the controls and movement is when you get surrounded. Absolutely fluid switching between targets even though I probably shouldn't be getting in quite so much trouble I assume.

I'm still trying to work out the best way of dealing with crowds. Just focusing on one enemy results in attacks from behind constantly, and then I end up in a constantly having to switch focus for parries/dodges. Using the environment to create space to single enemies out feels effective, but requires patience. Is it best to spread combos out across several enemies Arkham style in order to keep everyone at bay?

I'd watched a lot of footage of this game before I bought it and I have to say that it plays a lot more fluidly than it looked and also the combat options feel very varied in your hands, whereas just watching the footage it looks very samey.
  • I'd say keep attacking and always be ready to slip or avoid rather than parry. If one has a bat let them swing it, dodge it and it'll likely hit one of their mates if they're surrounding you.

Unlock charged back fist (I think it is) as I said a page back, if you have a bat hold triangle and it will sweep the enemy.

Use sweeps in general, they buy you time to concentrate on one guy if the others on the floor.

Jump over tables etc to bait enemies into following you to single them out.

Holding block will stop you from getting swept if your posture / guard is in tact. Avoiding a sweep is better but blocking one is easier when your not dialed in on guy and are surrounded.

Throw and kick stuff at people to sound or knock them off their feet with the environmental mastery skill.

You'll soon be looking forward to being surrounded to see just how swiftly you can clear a mob without them landing a glove on you.

Game rocks when your in full flow.
  • Oh and concentrate your efforts on clearing the weaker foes out first or those that have low health bars. The sooner you can perform an execute finisher on them the better as that's one less bad guy to deal with . Also it looks cool and keeps the flow going if your consistently hitting finishers.
  • I might play through this again. Couldn't bring myself to get rid of the disc just in case I fancied another go. Quality game.
  • Great tips Cut, thanks. Only just realised the link between death count and age (keeping the death count low means a death doesn't cost me that much in terms of age). Just picked up the no deaths trophy for stage one. Whoop!
  • Tempted by this but have spent enough already on games since I got a switch last week, maybe.

What the performance like? Ok to play without a fancypad?
  • 30fps, not many dips during gameplay according to a vid I watched. There's probably been a patch since too. Seems to be an impressive port, but might be one for 60fps if you can (it's locked at 60 on PS4, for example).
  • Handheld convenience is a big draw though so Idunnobuyit.
  • Hmm... handheld is the draw atm but I do have a ps4, but not with me atm and unlikely to get it til towards Xmas. Will watch a vid then probably buy it switch.
  • Might as well have another glance at the Eshop sale while you're on there.
  • The struggle is real
  • I've had to do a bit of Googling/Reddit to work some stuff out in this game. Latest is the enemy glowing orange attacks. These confused me as initially I thought they were un-blockable and required a dodge, but now I've learnt they can be parried and can actually be blocked if enough structure is present. It's changed my approach a little. For a while I was just dodging everything, but parrying if done right on these attacks appears to do more damage to an opponents structure than usual?

Have I got that right?
  • Dunno but I picked this up last night, did the intro this morning and about to head out into what I assume is the first proper area once work is done.
  • Enjoy man. I've gotten to area 3 so far, but want to go back and improve on area 2 before I have a go proper.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    I've had to do a bit of Googling/Reddit to work some stuff out in this game. Latest is the enemy glowing orange attacks. These confused me as initially I thought they were un-blockable and required a dodge, but now I've learnt they can be parried and can actually be blocked if enough structure is present. It's changed my approach a little. For a while I was just dodging everything, but parrying if done right on these attacks appears to do more damage to an opponents structure than usual?

Have I got that right?

I think so drum yeah. Parrying is really good for breaking your opponents structure quicker iirc. It's slightly more dangerous to use when surrounded though imo. Mixing it up with both feels great if you can nail the timing.

If you struggle with any bosses I've posted some vids for level 2,3 and 5 bosses on the last page. I had to use you tube to give me a hint on how best to approach the fights. In all fairness they didn't really tell me anything new, just reaffirmed I was going about things right and just needed practice.
  • Quick tip for tricky mini bosses -

Focus eye poke then charged triangle strike or push them over a ledge will one shot them.

There's an example on my level 5 sanctuary run a page back. I defeat the first 3 enemies, then go up the stairs and eye poke immediately followed by a charged strike to a dude to take him out in one. Great for mini bosses that would usually be a long costly drawn out fight. Hope that makes sense.
  • Cup, what do you classify as a mini-boss? Would you include the enemies that develop yellow flame sometimes when countering your finisher (is there a way to avoid them doing this)?
  • Those yellow flame ones I think are unavoidable and are random. They power up like that to create a rival. Yeah I would actually class them as a mini boss. I'd class any bad guy as a mini boss if when you kill them, your death counter appears on screen and reduces by one.

The girl sitting on the speakers in the club that jumps down to fight you, the girl with the staff in the little sort of courtyard area, the 2 enemies you have to fight right before Sean. They're all good examples of what I'd call a mini boss.

These guys need isolating and dealing with swiftly. Making use of your focus attacks is good here. If you can focus attack them to stun them then charge a knife strike with triangle you will kill them instantly. These guys usually cost you lives as they're worthy foes.

Every enemie on my sanctuary run (level 5) a page back is a mini boss barring the 2 little guys that help the fat guy at the start. You can see how I deal with them in that vid.
  • Have discovered a combo I like to use a lot in tough fights. Square, triangle, (pause), triangle. It ends with a roundhouse. Similar to the all triangle one that ends with a roundhouse kick, but with a slightly quicker opening punch.
  • So, the first phase of stage 3 boss is really tricky. From what I can work out, it's better to avoid and block than attempt to dodge her attacks. She is so hard to predict.

Phase 2 is a lot easier and more fun, particularly with the missile catching ability.

Thoughts on the game after a good few hours put in (up to end of stage 4)...

I really love it when a game has a singular vision and does not compromise on that vision. It's so hard to do as well. There was a chance that this game would just be downright frustrating, but it's not. Replaying the same sections over and over is fun, because the combat mechanics are so dynamic and satisfying. They thought very carefully about the progression system too. I hear Sloclap are working on a new game...just imagine if they could add this depth of combat to a game with a bigger budget and scope. I really hope they get the chance and they pull off something like the Returnal team did, although I'm not criticising the quality of this game in any way, it's extremely polished.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    So, the first phase of stage 3 boss is really tricky. From what I can work out, it's better to avoid and block than attempt to dodge her attacks. She is so hard to predict.

Phase 2 is a lot easier and more fun, particularly with the missile catching ability.

Thoughts on the game after a good few hours put in (up to end of stage 4)...

I really love it when a game has a singular vision and does not compromise on that vision. It's so hard to do as well. There was a chance that this game would just be downright frustrating, but it's not. Replaying the same sections over and over is fun, because the combat mechanics are so dynamic and satisfying. They thought very carefully about the progression system too. I hear Sloclap are working on a new game...just imagine if they could add this depth of combat to a game with a bigger budget and scope. I really hope they get the chance and they pull off something like the Returnal team did, although I'm not criticising the quality of this game in any way, it's extremely polished.

That first phase she has a couple of combos that are realy similar huh. Makes it hard to read whats coming.

Both the progression system and death counters work really well, especially with the martial arts themes of learning new techniques, timing and repetition. The final level is a test of putting everything together too with multiple mini bosses and a final boss that seems unbeatable.

I think its a super slick game when you get an understanding of it.
  • Actually boss 3 phase 1 i stepped back alot for the first part of her combos to read them then slipped on the final swing of her combo to leave her exposed. She's a tough cookie.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!