The Big Omi-Christmas Thread 2021
‹ Previous123456717
  • As its the 1st of December I figured it's time to kick off the festive season with the launch of the BIG CHRISTMAS THREAD!
    A place for discussion of those important MERRY TOPICS such as:

What are you doing for Christmas this year?
    Have you been naughty or nice?
    How are you celebrating?
    What's on your Christmas list?
    What presents have you bought loved ones that you're especially proud of?
    Do you have unusual Christmas traditions?
    Did you all get Muzzy in the Secret Santa??
    Will Chris Rea EVER make it home in time?
    Is it socially acceptable for a grown adult to use the term "Chrimbo"?

and most importantly....
    WHATS YOUR CHRISTMAS SONG OF CHOICE??

4edd0a77dee9e.image.jpg

Lets go big, Lets go festive, LETS GO CHRISTMAS!!!!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • is Die Hard a christmas film?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Normally Gav I would agree with your sentiment however this year I've decided that I'm going to make this season magical for my boys so I'm going full Griswold and embracing the fuck out of Christmas. 
    In my lunch hour today I'm clearing out the front garden and trimming back the overgrown flower beds and bushes to prepare for a large scale lights display!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • is Die Hard a christmas film?
    YES. ITS MY THREAD AND I SAY YES SO THATS THAT DEBATE OVER
  • Oh cheer up you big scottish grump
  • BTW I've put this in Forum Talk as I'm aware that it may involve discussion of family related stuff and not everyone may be happy having that visible to the wider internets.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    fuck christmas in the ass
  • fuck christmas in the ass

Well I did ask for your christmas tradition...
  • A lot hinges on piss covid for me.

Desperate to see my grandparents. The plan is to go 23rd and 24th. Unless things get really bad Im going.
    Also desperate to spend some time with my niece, the plan there is they head down south between the 27th and New Year. Its her first Xmas so she wont really know much about it I dont think but I dont want to miss it. Plus any time spent with her is an absolute joy.

With any luck my flat will be up on the market mid January so there is a snagging list that needs doing while Im off. This means I probably wont bother with decorations this year as one of the jobs is clearing some stuff to store at my parent's place including decorations.

Ive just messaged my mum to kick start the mince pie production line which dominates her festive season so hopefully I can indulge throughout the month. I just have to time going over there before my dad eats them all.

Ive bought all my presents already. I had to stagger them early to make the bank statements look good for mortgage applications. Im sure I will buy more for my niece in the coming weeks, not that she needs it that girl has a bigger wardobe than most adults.

I guess Im going to have to do wrapping earlier than 11pm on the 24th this year. My most hated part of Christmas.

My wishlist has one thing on it. 5l dutch oven.
  • I’ve got an escape room advent calendar which I’m excited to do.

• Get in the festive spirit.

Norwegian postal advert.
  • Liv, that sounds exciting if Covid allows. Really hope you get to see your family mate, being part of your nieces first christmas will be very special indeed.

We had a similar thing in terms of buying gifts etc as we needed our finances in a good place to get our mortgage too and hoping to move towards the end of Jan. Hoping we can put the whole move to the back burner and just enjoy a lovely christmas break with the extended family.

Crayon, tell me more about this advent calendar
  • Wife is going to her parents with the kids on Xmas Eve for a week so I’ll be catching up on movies and games, woooooo!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Ah Griff, thats a lovely ad. I hadn't seen that
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I would also like to know more about crayon's advent calendar.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wife is going to her parents with the kids on Xmas Eve for a week so I’ll be catching up on movies and games, woooooo!!!
    You lucky lucky bastard. 

I had that not last year but the year before and it was MARVELOUS.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wife is going to her parents with the kids on Xmas Eve for a week so I’ll be catching up on movies and games, woooooo!!!
    You lucky lucky bastard.  I had that not last year but the year before and it was MARVELOUS.

Same, it was when I finished and platinumed Spidey on PS.  Fun times.  Didn't get much done last year as Chrimbo was cancelled and we all had to put up with each other instead.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I made a spreadsheet with a list of movies I wanted to watch and games I needed to play as well as timings to fit everything in
  • I made a spreadsheet with a list of movies I wanted to watch and games I needed to play as well as timings to fit everything in

406169521_2PAyV-L-2.jpg
  • It was quite close to that!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This thread has some Partridge radio phone-in energy to it.
  • I was thinking the Bond schedule, but yours works too.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This thread has some Partridge radio phone-in energy to it.

Who is the best Lord?
  • Glad to hear someone else here is going heavy on the Christmas playlist too! I've already broken out the Bublé this morning!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First task is to try and find the Christmas Avatar thread using the random search engine feature.

Films: 
    Fanny & Alexander
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Love and Death
    Scrooge 1951
    Elf
    Gremlins

Songs: Wizzard's and Greg Lake's efforts.

Background Music : Phil Spector's work of genius, Tony Bennet's Christmas album, some "Best Ever" carol album I picked up a few years ago.

At some point I will either read my Folio Edition of A Christmas Carol, or listen to the magnificent rendering by Tom Baker.  I also have a BBC compilation album of Christmas Stories gleaned from R4's  A Book at Bedtime. Great to nod off to.

Play
    The Wii and Switch will be active on Christmas Day. Wii Bowling and Wii Party are still splendid pursuits. Monkey Ball on Switch. Might try some linkup hijinks with the new Lite with something new.

Klask and Christmas Edition Monopoly will get an outing, as will the table top curling.

Drinks
    Bucks Fizz with breakfast and mulled wine afterwards
    Veuve Cliquot with Christmas Dinner.
    Pedro Ximinex sherry with dessert - I commend this to you.
    Malt whiskey and Gin&Tonic evening a go-go

Probably Xmas Eve church service.
    It will be the 4 of us on Christmas Day with a possible visit from sisters and Mother that night.
    Boxing Day will be a covid-friendly relay at Mother's to avoid the traditional crush there.
    In-laws from England arrive a day or so later and leave in the New Year. Our usual NYE party probably won't happen and we will book ourselves into a local restaurant if possible. Failing that will get pissed in the house.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Good luck with the 'rents Andy, I know thats not an easy situation for you.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    Film set during festive period ≠ Christmas film We’re no longer spotty teenagers wanting to seem edgy, so let’s give up the Die Hard-is-a-Christmas-film schtick. If you want to watch it, that’s fine; you don’t have to contort reason to justify yourself. (smiley)

It's not contorting reason though. I find that the people that object to it find it difficult to justify why it isn't a Christmas film. The only thing they can usually come up with is the Film set during festive period ≠ Christmas film bit, as if this is some sort of slam dunk. Pressed further, they usually come up with other justifications that exclude films they themselves consider as unarguable Christmas films.

If you don't like it, don't watch it, but don't become your own Scrooge to the people who do.
‹ Previous123456717

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!