S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2
  • OHGOD!OHGOD!OHGOD!OHGOD!OHGOD!OHGOD!OHGOD!

EPFOMbl-scaled.jpeg

Those of you who have never experienced the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R probably won't understand the significance of this screenshot. Those that have will, like me, recoil in horror at the memory it conjures up. It is of course a recreation of the player-character's first encounter with the dreaded 'Controller'. A fiendish enemy that could invade your mind, warping your vision as its psychic attack seemingly pulled you towards it, only for its weird dragon punch to send you hurtling back down the corridor of the secret underground military base you were stalking through, somewhere deep in the Zone.

It was one of the many WTF?! moments that littered the original.

To see him again, but this time rendered in the superb looking Unreal 5 engine is enough to send chills down this old Stalker's spine.

The Zone is not quite how we remember it though. A slew of new screenshots released today seem to point to a rather arresting new art style.

STALKER-2-new-screenshots-1.jpg

'Running through fields of flowers' is not the first thing that springs to mind when talking about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Unless of course those same flowers were irradiated monstrosities that could somehow swallow you whole like something out of Little Shop of Russian Horrors.

stalker-2-mappa-vasta-100-ore-gameplay-completarlo-dettagli-v3-557670-800x600.webp

This is more familiar. An Anomaly. This one is a Vortex. Typically invisible, until you threw a metal bolt into the air to detect its gravity distortions. In the original, it was something of a macbre delight to hear the distant panicked squeel of an irradiated mutant pig who had accidentally wandered too close to such an anomaly. Worse still to see a NPC stray into one, witnessing his body being lifted up and then spun around like a ragdoll. Limbs torn asunder and bones snapped, the anomaly disappearing as quickly as it had appeared, leaving only a red mist of body parts hanging in the sky.

1639029632_New-screenshots-of-STALKER-2-Heart-of-Chernobyl-from-the.jpeg

Dogs. I am not a dog person, I have to admit. I am sure it's nothing to do spending countless hours in The Zone watching wild packs of irradiated mutts gang up on hapless Stalkers, tearing them apart and then dragging their bodies into the woods. It was the game's much lauded A-Life that did this. An impressive AI that controlled both man and beast alike, making for some superb random encounters.

Out 28th April. Cannot bloody wait!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's my most wanted game alongside Elden Ring. Blasted the original way back when and it's what brought my love for Metro.

It's gonna be phenomenal.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Would the original still hold up? It's always about 3 quid on Steam or CDKeys.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:

Its graphically dated and has some proto-genre mechanics, but there's some decent mods out and its still much loved today.

Atmosphere is incredible.
  • Ah reckon I could take that psychic cunt in a square go.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea wrote:

With mods, yes. There's one that uses all the maps from all 3 games and combines them into one.

Something of a rough diamond upon release, people mistook the jankiness of the original as a symptom of its broken code. It was, to some degree, but it was also something much much more. No other game since (maybe System Shock 2 before it?) has come anywhere close to capturing the sheer oppressiveness and other-worldliness of The Zone.

Everything is out to get you from the off and you're going to die. The only question is how.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ah, I'd be playing through Geforce Now and I don't think that does mods.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah yes, loved Stalker. There was never anything quite like it. Is this gong to be game pass by any chance? 180gb is a big chunk of the series S mind you.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It is launching on GP.
  • FranticPea wrote:

I've got the steelcase edition and installed it again last year. Some of the gameplay mechanics feel dated and without patches it's buggy as hell, but it brought back great memories.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Kow wrote:
    180gb is a big chunk of the series S mind you.

This is what's bothering me. I am planning to pick up a Series S just for this game in April. I do hope they manage to trim the install size by then.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Will be PC for me. Feels the way.
  • Re the original. Did anyone side with the faction that didn't run the combat arena?

I did on one playthrough, but it meant I had to travel through hostile faction territory every time I wanted to traverse the world, as you'd basically pissed off the side that controlled a hub area.

Really weird design decision unless I was missing something.

Was a proper job getting a 'good' ending, but didn't matter to me too much.
  • Was that in the original or one of the sequels? I do recall that Freedom vs Duty thing though, where one faction turns hostile a bit too soon for your liking.

This latest entry into the franchise supposedly has a branching storyline. Dunno how it's going to handle the factions this time around.

• I only played the original. Factions were handled fairly badly if I remember correctly, or at least that I can't remember there being a real point to them.

I recall having to gove up saving my allies in the starting area from the endlessly respawning bandits!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The thing with the factions was a sequel. Same thing happened to me, couldn't go through towns because everyone tried to kill me. Had to give up.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    This one is missing that final dot, though.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's my most wanted game alongside Elden Ring.

The name Elden Ring sounds like a fantasy parody from the '80s. Moranis vehicle.

Call of Pripyat the Chernobyl equivalent of Montezuma's revenge.
  • Already had a thread, but nae bother :P  OP is gud.

Ah sorry @GurtTractor. I dread making such a faux pas. It's the forum equivalent of belching at a dinner party or farting in a hot tub.

I did check the Games Index before posting and everything but I guess that thread is no longer updated. :(
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is my most anticipated game of next year, no question

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!