‹ Previous123
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    A place to have a spoilerific chat about the latest Spidey movie. There’s a lot of wow, jaw dropping moments. If you haven’t seen it off you pop and come back later and good luck avoiding spoilers elsewhere.

Also Disney+ MCU tv shows chat will likely crossover, so you better be up to speed with that too.

You have been warned!
    Things can only get better.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Hard to know where to start there was just so much packed into it. All the returning villains were so well done, improving their characterizations from their original movies, Jamie Foxx looked to be having a lot of fun playing Electro, Alfred Molina as Doc Ock like he’d never been away and Green Goblin never been so menacing with Willem Dafoe not needing any stupid mask to show that.

Spider-men. How they brought them through the multiverse was so clever and we all cheered when the popped in. Tom Holland put in a great performance, but Andrew Garfield probably usurped him in the emotional scenes, poor Spidey. Seeing Tobey McGuire back in the suit was quite special and he was spot on as older Spidey who’s been through it all. Genuine laughs at the interaction between the three of them.

Matt Murdoch cameo, probably unnecessary, but in tandem with a certain someone else’s return in Hawkeye had the me and the audience gasping in delight.

So much more, Aunt May, Strange, etc. Can’t wait for another watch.
  • When Peter 3 saved MJ, and then broke down crying. Right in the feels.

Thought they'd have Harry show up to stop Norman, but I suppose James Franco is on the shit list these days.

That version of Venom shouldn't know who Spider-Man is, unless they're saying that the symbiote is multi-dimensional, so that scene made no sense.
  • Also some of the symbiotic got left behind, does that make sense? I would’ve expected all of it to return, regardless of how many bits it was in at the time?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Also, Electro didn't know Spider-Man was Peter Parker. It's literally referenced in this film. Can't remember if Lizard did or not.
  • Connors knew. Don’t think Electro did.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • What bugged me was the fact that after looking like a murderer peter got released.
    I know they had a good lawyer but he was just let go without any mention apart from the people saying 'mysterio was right'.

Great film but don't understand the cheers when the other peters turned up since we kinda knew this was likely but that's just me.

I was puzzled about venom knowing about peter but 'film logic'.
     I'm happy with what they have done with venom because that means we can have a possibly better vert ion of the symbiote.

Couldn't believe what they did with aunt may. Felt a bit of a cop out when she got up after the bomb but as soon as she said 'with great power....' I knew they were going to kill her off and the whole scene was full on unexpected and brilliant in my opinion.

Loved the look at the new strange movie and can't wait to see where things go from here.
    You rang.....
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Eddie/Venom were in a bar getting tanked, probably watching the news about Peter Parker/Spider-man, not sure if that explains it away.

One question from that scene, we only saw bad guys return from Tobey and Andrew’s eras, does that mean Venom exists in one of their universes? Sony may bring one of them back for their own vs Venom movie.
  • Venom was in Spider-Man 3. Played, inexplicably, by Topher Grace of That 70's Show fame. I don't blame you for blocking that entire film from memory. It's utterly terrible.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Oh yeah :)

Garfield’s universe confirmed!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Also some of the symbiotic got left behind, does that make sense? I would’ve expected all of it to return, regardless of how many bits it was in at the time?

I assumed some got left behind because they were drunk and kind of freaking out so a little bit was separated when he got pulled out.

I really enjoyed the movie but I definitely think you shouldn't think too hard on the logic of it all. Not sure it'll stand up to heavy scrutiny.

I wish the final end credits thing had been Maguire spidey going home to Dunst MJ. I think that would have been a nice cap off for him playing that character. Garfield might come back but Maguire definitely not.

I also didn't realise that Spidey 1 was wearing his suit inside out after trying and failing to wash the green goo off, I just thought it was a weird tech suit. That's a clever side note as it's definitely what a kid would do.

Dafoe was so dang good though, he a scary man
  • He has an interview saying that he wanted to do as much of the physical things as possible, and not just a head put onto a body, because it gives a more authentic performance.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    What a nice thought on MJ Shabby - that would have been a lovely touch.

I was in tears when Garfield caught MJ too; was nice to give him a chance to save her.  The final scene with Doc Oc and Toby Maguire was lovely too and led to another eye glazing!!

Really enjoyed the film from beginning to end.  Whilst certainly not my favourite film, I'd go as far as saying it was almost perfect.  It just didn't skip a beat.
  • As mentioned in the film thread, I saw this yesterday aternoon with the kids.

From an objective story telling perspective, it's a mess of a film.  Lots of people's decisions make no, or little sense, and it's utterly dependent on previous knowledge in order to care about 90% of what happens.

The miserable 40 something year old me knows that to be the case. 

However for a couple of hours my inner 12 year old was having an absolute blast. 

I found myself weirdly happy for Andrew Garfield that he finally got to show how good a Spiderman he can be. (My daughter found the other two reassuring him that, no, really he is amazing, hilarious.)

Most of the villains were suprisingly improved on their OG versions, with Dafoe particularly impressive as a fully unhinged Green Goblin. (The decision to ditch the mask so that we could see his grinning face in that crunchy corridor fight was especially effective.) The de-aging on Molina was oddly distracting though.

The post-credits scenes were a bit flat I thought.  I've not seen Venom 2 but I'm assuming there's something, even just a throw away line, to explain how the hell [font=Arial, sans-serif]V[/font]enom ended up there when it's supposed to be people who know Peter Parker's Spiderman.  The extended trailer for Dr Strange seemed less of a pull than a straight forward teaser would have been.

Still, imperfect though the film is, it was also a giddy delight.
  • There's a big twitter push now for Sony to do concurrent Spider-Man film series, with MCU (with Holland), Sony (with Garfield), and Spider-Verse.

I'm all for it.
  • I really enjoyed this. But it was one of the saddest MCU films going - all the stuff with Osborne just wanting to get better, all the villains getting 'cured', Garfield's stuff with MJ, aunt May dieing, and the ending with everyone forgetting who he is...

Question - do all the avengers/world remember Spider-Man's involvement in the avengers stuff and saving the world? And it's just they don't know he's Parker?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Question - do all the avengers/world remember Spider-Man's involvement in the avengers stuff and saving the world? And it's just they don't know he's Parker?

Would seem so, as Happy said he knew May through Spider-Man, so people know there's a Spider-Man, just not who Peter is.
  • If it's anything like the comics travesty where they did it, the rules around it will be ... flexible.
  • There's a big twitter push now for Sony to do concurrent Spider-Man film series, with MCU (with Holland), Sony (with Garfield), and Spider-Verse.

I'm all for it.
    Garfield has always been best Spider-man. Worst movies though.
  • Garfield put his acting chops behind the character and watching it you can see he really enjoyed playing the role. I think he's a brilliant actor.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I quite enjoyed this, even though it was shit and peppered with references to things, instead of whatever. Narrative stuff.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Just back from seeing it and I really liked it. I loved all the side chatter that you don't normally get in films like this, made the characters all appear to be that little bit more human. Nice way to end the trilogy
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The biggest surprise for me was learning happy uses a cpap mask like I do!
    You rang.....
  • I quite liked spiderman but it took a good long while for it to feel like a good movie. I kind of disliked Doctor Strange's involvement - he flipped and flopped between the character who can galaxy brain defeating Thanos and some dumb fuck who doesn't know what he's doing. Also, "what if it's their fate" doesn't make sense when they resurrected half of the universe.

I think there was a fair bit of unearnt  and unecessary"omg look its that guy" and I think it's weird how the plot sort of did a loop (these guys deserve a second chance, oh they don't want it, let's give them a third chance!!!!). 

But that being said I think the resolution was pretty good. I feel like it sets up an empowered lonely boy compared to the traditional depressed lonely boy and it was nice to see the lonely boys bond and go through their struggles (even if it's only for a little bit). 

I think if one were to cinema sins it there's holes everywhere (why don't they just try and find peter parker a third time? using the spell). But i think a solid closer really helps the film.
  • I just fucking loved this. Was so so so perfectly done. I am aware of some of the plot hole things you guys discussed but I couldn't care less, for me it was everything I wanted.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Saw the Spider-mans. Absolute mess of a film but still really enjoyed it. The good was great and the bad I didn't really care about. Regular readers of Monkey will know I'm not exactly a fan of Holland but he was really good in this. It helped that they've deconstructed the Avenger Boy version of Spidey they've been going with and turned him into something more recognisable. And the whiney, annoying Peter Parker died along with Aunt May turning him into, probably, the closest thing to comic-book Peter that has been put on film. The third film turned him into an iteration of Spider-man they should have started the trilogy with. 

Maguire and Garfield worked really well and all the baddies had better depictions than previously. Apart from Doc Ock who didn't need an upgrade.  
    I'm normally pretty oblivious to plot holes but these were so enormous you couldn't help but notice. And the bizarre decisions by some of the characters to service where they wanted the plot to go. It was fine though. It's comic books. They're full of that stuff. Only real complaint is they've used a version of the One More Day plot that is categorically, unequivocally, the worst Spider-man story ever written. But rather than undoing twenty odd years of comic book stories, they've created all this strange, magical, canonical complexity just to resolve a cliffhanger from the previous film. And give a reset to a character that they reset previously only four years ago. Odd move if you ask me. 

Still, enjoyed it a lot and looking forward to the 9th film in the franchise. And if they can get a jaded old fuck like me to say that, they must be doing something right.
  • Do you think there will be more? My reading of that ending was that this is the Spider-Man that does the Spider-Man job - you don’t need to watch all the times he stops normal gangsters doing stuff but at least he’s a happier man doing it.
  • Also I watched spiderverse and it feels like beat for beat the same damn film except the antagonist is Spider-Man rather than a kingpin with sympathetic motivations.
  • The fourth Holland one has already been greenlit I think. But that's got to be three or four years away. 

By nearly every metric, Spider-verse is the better film. What that doesn't have is the nostalgia cannon turned up to max and fired continually in the viewer's face for 120 minutes.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!