PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So what were they then?

For me, it was the afternoon in the Summer where I finished Ratchet and Clank on PS5.

Flora was out with C and it was a warm summer day. I'd cleared out the game and therefore had
    Spoiler:

During the final boss, with 0 stake, I had a full blown panic attack, thinking my head was going to explode.
    I cleared it, turned off the PS5 and went to the nearby ice cream shop.

I'll never play that game again
  • I turned all the lava into vomit in Noita

noita-20211212-194229-1795824831-00219011.gif
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I don’t know which I’d rather swim 300m in.
  • I spent time watching thicc Lady D mods after being intrigued by her in Resi8.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That I enjoy watching streamers play games more than actually playing them
  • Trying to do the Custom Skater pro tier challenge on THPS4. Kept having to retry over and over which seemed to fuck me up.
    Projectile vomited a share sized bag of skips.

Edit: this wasn't this year
  • Playing Quest VR for the first time and specifically Pistol Whip... a new dimension in gaming.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Probably a Eureka moment in A Monster's Expedition.

Or seeing shiny water in Ender Lilies.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Is it bad that I read the thread title and then went completely blank on anything gaming related that I did this year?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • No.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Getting to end of Returnal. Not much else has come close to that feel of accomplishment.
    Spoiler:
  • The weirdest actual gaming moment is probably the point in 12 Minutes where I realised that, yep, they really are doing that twist. Oh my.

Gaming related stuff, I've done some pretty interesting interviews this year. The highlight was getting to talk to Housemarque about Returnal.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I spent time watching thicc Lady D mods after being intrigued by her in Resi8.

A true connoisseur
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Is it bad that I read the thread title and then went completely blank on anything gaming related that I did this year?

Checking the eShop for 3DS updates.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Most memorable will probably be my 32 heat Hades run with Extremer Measures on. Or maybe the hungover evening I spent playing through the Artful Escape.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I platinumed Persona 5 Royal in March which is probably worth mentioning just for the pure effort it took.
  • There was a point earlier this year when I was feeling utterly exhausted and defeated.  The one bright point was that I'd started playing Returnal, and had found that it was serving as a useful escape - I would regularly disappear into the zone, with my worries giving way to neon waves of bullets, and giant squid monsters. It felt like games did when I was a kid.

Except, of course, Returnal isn't always the most forgiving of experiences.  There were several points where I found myself declaring that I clearly wasn't up to this particular challenge, and all those real world worries would suddenly crowd in, savouring yet more evidence that I, once again, wasn't quite as good as I needed to be. I'm a terrible loser (which is why you rarely see me playing online), one of those frustrating people for whom "winning" has no value, and "losing" is the absolute end of the world.

So, in most games, having repeatedly hit a brick wall, I would have thrown in the towel.  But something odd (for me) happened with Returnal - I realised that, win or lose, I was enjoying simply being in the game. It was helped, I think, by the game's own narrative reflecting that sense of battling on regardless (and the gentle encouragement of those of you in the Returnal thread).

That sense of enjoying where you are and what you're doing irrespective of whether it's going to plan started to seep out into my approach to other stuff. Everything in the real world remained impossible, but I was able to see that it was, none the less, a frequently enjoyable place to be.

What's more, once I started to sit back and simply enjoy myself, the game seemed suddenly not so impossible at all. Whole biomes fell with seemingly little resistance and I found myself reaching the end - and then the second ending - without breaking much of a sweat.

So yes, my most memorable gaming experience this year was playing Returnal - not so much for the achievement of triumphing over the game itself, but rather for teaching me how to accept living with a little bit of failure.
  • very boring but I hit Diamond in 2s and 3s in Rocket League. I imagine probably as high as I'll get as I don't have the time to practice all the mad skills you need to get up to Champion.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Playing Quest VR for the first time and specifically Pistol Whip... a new dimension in gaming.

That feeling \o/

Hopefully more sets under badger’s trees come Saturday.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Playing Demeo with Boozy and Bad Hair Day was a real fun introduction to the wonders of MP VR gaming.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:

Checking the eShop for 3DS updates.

A new Nintendo 3DS game came out today! Literally a New Nintendo 3DS game, it only works on a New Nintendo 3DS.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    very boring but I hit Diamond in 2s and 3s in Rocket League. I imagine probably as high as I'll get as I don't have the time to practice all the mad skills you need to get up to Champion.

Some going tbf, kudos.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Discovering Rimworld and realising its the most 'me' game ever made.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Getting to play Mushihimesama via Steam. A game I'd always wanted to play. It's one of the greats of the shmup genre. Marvellous stuff. Have 1CCed it in Novice but Arcade mode is a different proposition. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    There was a point earlier this year when I was feeling utterly exhausted and defeated.  The one bright point was that I'd started playing Returnal, and had found that it was serving as a useful escape - I would regularly disappear into the zone, with my worries giving way to neon waves of bullets, and giant squid monsters. It felt like games did when I was a kid. Except, of course, Returnal isn't always the most forgiving of experiences.  There were several points where I found myself declaring that I clearly wasn't up to this particular challenge, and all those real world worries would suddenly crowd in, savouring yet more evidence that I, once again, wasn't quite as good as I needed to be. I'm a terrible loser (which is why you rarely see me playing online), one of those frustrating people for whom "winning" has no value, and "losing" is the absolute end of the world. So, in most games, having repeatedly hit a brick wall, I would have thrown in the towel.  But something odd (for me) happened with Returnal - I realised that, win or lose, I was enjoying simply being in the game. It was helped, I think, by the game's own narrative reflecting that sense of battling on regardless (and the gentle encouragement of those of you in the Returnal thread). That sense of enjoying where you are and what you're doing irrespective of whether it's going to plan started to seep out into my approach to other stuff. Everything in the real world remained impossible, but I was able to see that it was, none the less, a frequently enjoyable place to be. What's more, once I started to sit back and simply enjoy myself, the game seemed suddenly not so impossible at all. Whole biomes fell with seemingly little resistance and I found myself reaching the end - and then the second ending - without breaking much of a sweat. So yes, my most memorable gaming experience this year was playing Returnal - not so much for the achievement of triumphing over the game itself, but rather for teaching me how to accept living with a little bit of failure.

This is awesome.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tin's post is just a another day when you play shmups in your 50s.....  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I spent hours watching a car hang in midair with points going up.
  • Going on a Valheim dungeon raid with Speedhaak and Subbax.  We got tooled up, drank our buff potions, and fought our way over a difficult swamp biome to the dungeon.  When we got there not one of us had brought a key to open the door.  I think one of said "we are terrible vikings".  It made me laugh for about 3 days.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Discovering Rimworld and realising its the most 'me' game ever made.

Tell me more I've been interested in this. Is there a thread??
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not sure. It's like The Sims but more miserable and bloodier.

Absolutely amazing. Base building and keeping your people happy, arming against raids, hunting, building defences. The relationships can be hilarious. I've had men leave their wives for other men, people spiralling into depression and causing fights in the canteen. Mad buffalo's getting into the Kitchen and causing a bloodbath.

It's totally my kind of jam.
  • Definitely this:

The pawn shop in Disco Elysium has one item for sale which is ludicrously expensive. So much so, that the only way one can purchase it- a large street lamp- is by not spending money on anything else for the duration of the play through, in addition to selling everything saleable that you own, completing all the side quests, and always choosing the most profitable conversation options/thought catalog upgrades. And what is the reward for all your scrimping and frugality to obtain such a luxurious item? Absolutely nothing. Upon purchase you are reminded that the lamp is far too big and heavy to move yourself, plus you don't even remember where you live, so you can't even take it home. Fuck. Okay never mind, surely you can still get a refund seeing as you made the purchase less than half a minute ago? No, sorry. No returns allowed. 

Love it.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!