The year is 2022...
  • For those who grew up in the 70s, 80s and 90s, the year 2000 was like a monolith, a catchword for all things futuristic. As it approached, the enthusiasm for a new millenium (pedants begone) and the trepidation about the Y2K bug made it seem more like some sort of destination, something to arrive at, that wouldn’t simply pass us by like any other day, week, month or year.

With each passing year since then, it seems weirder.  We’re almost a quarter century since that time. Many (most?) of us on this forum have now lived more of our lives on this futuristic side of that milestone than the other.

Hopefully, now that 2015 is long gone, so have the photoshops of the Delorean’s readout claiming that this year is the year of Back to the Future II (altogether now, “Where’s my hoverboard?”) but which works of fiction in our past were actually set in 2022?

Disappointingly, not that many great ones, but having raised the idea, let’s take a look anyway:

Videogames

Cyberball Various - 1988
    Long before Frozen Cortex, there was Cyberball. Robots playing American Football. In 1988, this had to be the zenith of cool ideas. The idea was, of course, significantly better than the execution, but the same could be said for most computer games back then.

Skyhammer Jaguar - 2000
    Who doesn’t remember this G Police-inspired first-person (in an aerial vehicle) shooter? Anyone here have a Jaguar? Anyone here have this game that was released four years after the console was discontinued?

Perfect Dark Game Boy Colour - 2000
    This prequel to the N64 classic sees Joanna Dark complete her training, and get sent on her first mission, in South America.  The bad guy, Mink Hunter, is not a mink hunter, although it would be nice to think they chose that name because mink hunters are bad guys (probably).

Year Zero ? - 2007
    This was an alternate reality game based on the Nine Inch Nails album of the same name. That’s a sentence you probably didn’t expect to read when you opened this thread.

Dead Rising 4 Win/XBO/PS4 - 2016
    Not that far in the future when it came out. Not much has changed, but the world has been overrun by braindead humans fixated on their own needs. So, yeah, not much has changed.

Earth Defence Force 5 Win/PS4- 2017
    Even less far into the future, but with more outlandish ideas as to what that future looks like. The fifth (or arguably eighth) game in the franchise, set three years earlier than the third (sixth) game but five years after the first (fourth).

Movies

Soylent Green 1973
    Honestly, this is the big-hitter on this list of films. There’s not much point in reading the others.
    The Dark Side of the Moon 1990
    Alien Intruder 1993
    Time Runner / In Exile (as the title suggests, it’s not all in 2022) 1993
    No Escape 1994
    Deham 2001
    Deathwave/2022 Tsunami 2009
    The Purge 2013
    Tihe Purge: Election Year (well, a bit at the start of it) 2016
    Blade Runner Black Out 2022 2017
    Duckweed 2017
    Geostorm 2017
    Unterwerfung (“Submission”) 2018
    TAmong the Shadows 2019
    Bill & Ted Face the Music 2020
    Justice League Dark 2020
    Safer at Home 2021
    The Tomorrow War (again, a time travel thing, so some of it) 2021
    A Year-End Medley 2021
    Jurassic World Dominion 2022 Actually, that'll be the present by the time it comes out.

’Tempyfodder’

Future GPX Cyber Formula SIN 1998-2000
    Japanese animated series about racing machines.

Aruvu Rezuru: Kikaijikake no Yōseitachi 2012-13
    Japanese science fiction novel about mechanised fairies.

Other

I don't really know any of these, but they might mean something to other forumites.

The Grel Escape (Dr Who spin-off audio drama) 2004
    The Uncertainty Principle (Dr Who spin-off audio drama) 2012
    Breaking Dad (play) 2014
    Be Our Guest (episode of TV show American Horror Story) 2016
    Homecoming (TV show, split between 2018 and 2022) 2018-2020
    The Silence (novel) 2020
    The Penthouse: War in Life (Season 2) (South Korean TV show) 2021
  • Happy new year cinty xxxx
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Busted!

Happy new year Badgers!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • This plays well into my resolution to eat more people after shooting them with a laptop gun.
  • Happy new year cinty xxxx

You got me. I decided to stay up and post on UK time, thinking it would throw you off the scent. Shucks.
  • Unfortunately for you Cinry, no one here can post like you xoxoxoxoxo #uniquestyle #oneinageneration
  • Not just the words, it's the concept too. Great thread really, I was thinking about that looking at the 2022 in the background in Jools Holland. 2022 is definitely a made up future year for plot reasons. Can't believe it's here.
  • Yeah was thinking the same before I saw this thread. Should be on track for Robocop by this point.
  • I’ve now lived more of my life in the 21st century than the 20th. Which is never going to feel right.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It was Tempyfodder that gave it away tbh
  • I think my new year's resolution is to stop following Google on insta.
  • Back to irl stalking eh Gonz?
  • Breaking Dad was much much better than it sounds fwiw.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!