Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    7/8. Unfriended/Host

Putting these as one due to similarity and being rewatches.

Tech films, told through webcam/screen are one of my guilty pleasures. I enjoy the structure and flow of them. Searching and Profile (criminally underrated, very low budget webcam terrorism drama I recommend to y'all. Not without its flaws but budget is basically £0), being the other two strong examples. Unfriended: Dark Web is gash.

I'm sure most, if not all of you have seen or are aware of these so I won't do a proper mini-review. Host is the better horror, Unfriended is more fun. Absolute glorious nonsense.

[7] for both.

• 5. The Humans (dir: Stephen Karam, 2021)

A perfect embodiment of the A24 textbook, and as such almost a perfect embodiment of what I want from a film. Slow burning family drama, several generations all meeting at a daughter's new home to share lunch/dinner and to catch up, and as is always the case, things turn sour. Karam's first film as director and it is based off of his own play, which shows in the structure and flow of the film itself. Long lingering shots, out of focus, disorientating. It manages something which I find to be fascinating and I've rarely seen before - it turns the slowburn arthouse drama into a borderline horror film at times. Something which Cache and quite a lot of Haneke's work manages. Primarily done via sound (eerie bumps in the night, heavy footsteps from neighbours upstairs and a couple of 'jumpscare' moments which are really well done) mixed with a use of both light and dark as visual metaphor and mood piece. There is another visual metaphor that runs throughout which I found a bit heavy handed and is used way too often, but that's really the only slight I can give this. If the mood, atmosphere and creepy disjointedness of the whole thing doesn't grip you, you'll no doubt be bored shitless. Great performances by all concerned, especially Richard Jenkins and Amy Schumer. Will be on my list come end of year of topboy films innit. [9]

Is this on steamers or the high seas?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's on high seas, where I saw it. Not sure of streaming.

It's also showing in a select fee more arthousey cinemas. Home in Manchester etc.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Amy Schumer? Unwatchable
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Amy Schumer? Unwatchable

Generally of the same opinion but she plays an entirely straight role in it. None of the shite comedy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Once I hit Christmas I watch practically no TV/film. Have been like that for quite a few years. I like watching films in the lead up but that's it until 1st or 2nd week of January.

I won't be back in the game until mid week at the earliest.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Queenpins
    ‘White collar’ crime movie about two suburban women committing fraud on an epic scale. Played light-hearted, but not quite a comedy. Surprise appearance from Vince Vaughn and a cameo from Bebe Rexha of all people.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Belfast. Exceptionally good family story set in turbulent 1969. Directed by Kenneth Branagh, with I guess some of his own personal story in there (but he stays behind the camera). Shot in beautiful, pin-sharp black and white, and soundtracked by classic Van Morrison [9].
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I might be in this year. Do we just log films or is there an onus on reviewing?
    Get schwifty.
  • The OG thread was about trying to scribble reviews in a dozen words or less. But you do you.
  • Birds of Prey
    This was... surprisingly enjoyable. I dunno, I'm pretty sick of all the Marvel and DC stuff and Suicide Squad was the worst of the lot, but felt like watching something daft and this hit the spot. Everyone's having such a great time it's hard not to get swept along with it, plus the action sequences are all a little different.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    1. Come True
    Feels right that this should be my first watch of the year. It’s a rewatch, and the best film I’ve seen in years. There’s nothing else quite like it. A homeless girl who has trouble sleeping enrols in a dream study and shit gets wild. Julia Sarah Stone is magnetic in the lead role, there are stunning yet restrained dream sequences, and the score is sumptuous. It’s not a film for everyone, but I love it completely.

Get schwifty.
  • The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard
    I need to remember that most Ryan Reynolds movies are B-tier shit action comedies and just stop watching them.
  • Come True has been high on my list since you mentioned it last year Raz. Seeing as we're out of lockdown, the gf will be leaving the house to work so I should have lots more time to watch horror stuff than I did last year! Will make it one of the first watches
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    1. The Power of the Dog - Some great performances in a very slow burner. I enjoyed it but not really sure why. 8

2. No Time To Die - As James Bond films go, this was a belter. Probably Daniel Craig's best one. 7
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Come True has been high on my list since you mentioned it last year Raz. Seeing as we're out of lockdown, the gf will be leaving the house to work so I should have lots more time to watch horror stuff than I did last year! Will make it one of the first watches

I sincerely hope enjoy it.  I think I’m obsessed with this film in a way I haven’t been obsessed with films since I was a kid.  There is just something about it’s mix of story (it’s about dreams and dream imagery, which is my jam), visuals and music that speaks to me in a way film hasn’t spoke to me in years.

Get schwifty.
  • The Matrix Regurgitations - starting the year with an absolute bin fire. I'm in work the morning after and still so annoyed by it. Was 12 when the OG came out and it blew my tiny mind. Was hype for this, tried to ignore reviews and went in cold. All I can say is fucking fuck me. Woeful. Absolutely woeful.

The year can only get better from here.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    2. The Power of the Dog
    I pretty much agree with Goobs, though liked it less overall. Thought the first half was a bit too ponderous and second half much more engaging. [6]
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Come True has been high on my list since you mentioned it last year Raz. Seeing as we're out of lockdown, the gf will be leaving the house to work so I should have lots more time to watch horror stuff than I did last year! Will make it one of the first watches

I sincerely hope enjoy it.  I think I’m obsessed with this film in a way I haven’t been obsessed with films since I was a kid.  There is just something about it’s mix of story (it’s about dreams and dream imagery, which is my jam), visuals and music that speaks to me in a way film hasn’t spoke to me in years.

Come true. That looks right up my street. Is it on any streaming services?
    PSN - minkymu
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Not that I’m aware of. It’s on sale on the Apple store at the moment for £2.99, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • Ohhh come true is 99p on Amazon. Watching that later
    PSN - minkymu
  • Aye will give Come True a watch, sounds right up my alley. I've been doing a CBTI sleep therapy course so this should tie in nicely!
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 1. TBA
    An actual TBA. I got to watch an early but nearly done cut of a new film coming this year. A story about telling stories. I really liked it, a lot of cool visuals and ideas. Looking forward to seeing the finished product when it comes out and hearing what you peeps think.
    [8]
  • The Last Duel. Enjoyed this. Was interesting seeing the different viewpoints. It's a shame it's so long, would definitely benefit from a subsequent watch the see the subtle differences. [8]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    3. Godzilla vs. Kong
    Some great action and a few laughs but pretty much everything else was shite. Mostly wasted a great cast and there’s really no reason for these type of movies to be this dumb other than laziness. [4]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    9. The Conspiracy (2012)

Another guilty pleasure horror which doesn't really get mentioned anymore. Documentary team follow a local prominent conspiracy nut who goes missing, they take over his research and stumble across a large conspiracy, things go tits up. Primarily based around Bohemian Grove.

One of the better examples of found footage horror and largely underrated. [7]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    4. The Big Short - I had so many emotions watching this film, it’s funny, clever, emotional and, ultimately, depressing as hell. But it is so so good. A compelling view of the banking crash in 2008 and what leads up to it. I’d like to pick a great performance, but they are all amazing, not a single bad actor amongst the whole cast. I didn’t realise until the end that it was directed by Adam McKay (Don’t Look Up) but that style is clear here. One of my favourite parts of the film was the breaking the fourth wall moments, that cleverly showed a dramatic scene then followed it up with a “that didn’t actually happen”. Brilliant, compelling and sad [9]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Absolutely love The Big Short. Wonderfully executed film.

Also love Margin Call, which is a clean, clear, horrible depressing look at the holy fuck moment.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Will add it to the list, pretty sure I haven’t seen it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!