Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Just felt flat to me. Horses for courses I guess.
  • 6. REC 2
    Dang that was excellent! So many cool setpieces throughout and really well executed. Worked well watching it straight after the first too.
    [8]
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Damnit I also missed the Alien chat - also a fave movie series

For me It's diminishing returns with each movie, and Covenant is absolutely fucking awful. Prometheus for me suffers from not originally being written as an Alien film (IIRC) and then kinda having it shoehorned in with, I suspect, screenplay rewrites.

1. Bill and Ted Face the Music

Picked this up for less than a tenner (AUD) in the sales, and it was exactly what I expected and wanted it to be. A nice homage to the original 2 films, without going too far into rehash (I am scared to watch the new Ghostbusters for this reason) - I spotted the ending coming a mile off, and that dragged it down from an [8] to a [7] for me.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Just felt flat to me. Horses for courses I guess.

There was a bit with a horse that somewhat confused me.
  • If you are worried about nostalgia tickboxung Questor then Ghostbusters is ten times worse than Bill & Ted is.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    There was a bit with a horse that somewhat confused me.

Yeah, I know the bit you mean. I think …
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    9. The Lighthouse - wtf did I just watch? Despite some fantastic acting by both leads and great atmosphere I was honestly underwhelmed by this story. Overrated [5].
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    6. Gretel and Hansel
    Super dark and visually evocative retelling of the classic fairytale. Just my sort of thing, and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Neil Jordan’s The Company of Wolves.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    14 War Dogs (2016)

Rewatch as missus not seen it. Always loved it, just a solid thing all round. Hill's laugh is a thing of beauty. [7]

15. The Gentlemen (2019)

Another rewatch. Another I love. Farrell steals the movie, along with Grant. Hunnam is gash. Stupid all round. Third best Ritchie. [8]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    10. Black Widow - started this and thought it was a load of shite. Decided to finish it and I’m glad I did. While it’s far from the best Marvel or even the best action film, I appreciate what it was doing for female representation in action movies. Like Black Panther it’s a mainstream big budget movie that focuses on the underrepresented in society and for that it scores higher than I originally would have [7].
  • On the Rocks
    Sophia Coppola revisits the themes of Lost in Translation from the perspective of an older, wiser woman. But still with Bill Murray as the manic pixie grandfather. A nice film. Not great, not fancy, just nice.
  • I can’t see anyone preferring Aliens over the others without hearing Buffy say the phrase
    He’s got a hard on for Cameron
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    4. Shadowlands
    Anthony Hopkins on great form as CS Lewis in an otherwise fairly average film. A few unexpected but welcome laughs help, however some of the supporting cast seemed wasted and the core story wasn’t all that interesting. Came together towards the end to finish on a strong note. [6]

5. Mortal Kombat (2021)
    Does pretty much what you’d expect. It leans into the powers/magic a bit more which works well for the fights and allows for some fun and brutal finishes. The effects are on the schlocky end of the scale but works fine given the source material. A few of the fights are blink and you miss it though so felt a bit short changed at times. Some hammy acting and cringe dialogue but fun overall. [5]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    6. Bicycle Thieves
    Hard to appreciate what actually went into making this in 1948 Italy but feels like it captures the state of life for families post WWII, particularly given the cast is made up of non-actors. A simple story but with such significant consequences, it’s poignant and utterly heartbreaking at times with the kid’s performance really adding to that. [8]

7. Judy
    One of those films with a realisation of ‘x really can act!’ which is sometimes a bit odd. Zellweger is great though and the film uses flashbacks sparingly to provide some context for Judy’s current status. It’s an interesting story but the film felt a little by the numbers at times and rushing through key points. Still, the central performance is enough to hold attention just a shame the rest isn’t up to the same level. [7]
  • Bicycle Thieves is great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Spiderman

First Toby McGuire outing and the first superhero film I've sat and watched with my boys. All snuggled under a blanket with me and my dad on a boys night in and it was fantastic. Film is still pretty damn good.

Skyscraper

Die Hard meets The Towering Inferno starring The Rock.
    It's trash but oh what enjoyable trash.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    7. Wind Chill

A young Emily Blunt decides to ride share home for Christmas with a fellow student whom she doesn’t know. The car goes off the road on a snowbound road and the two find themselves stranded. Not only is there a weird dynamic between the two college students, and not only do they have to contend with plummeting temperatures, but then they start seeing strange dark figures on the road. I feel like this film does an awful lot with its breezy one and a half hour runtime, and Emily Blunt really is great in it. I never hear anyone else talk about this film, but I love it.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    11. Ocean’s Eleven - I’m really not doing this on purpose, but this my eleventh film is a corker. I have no idea why I never watched this. I love a heist movie, I love Vegas and I’ve got two of my man crushes in the cast (Clooney and Pitt). Really great film [9].

Are the sequels any good?
  • Yeah worth watching. Dumb fun.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The sequels aren’t a patch on 11. I thought 12 was a bit shite but 13 was good.
  • Countdown

Silly teenagers download an app that tells them when they are going to die and then are hunted and haunted by the evil spirit of Carol Vorderman.
    Conundrum was shit too
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tom Hardy is spellbinding in Bronson which is a highly stylised story of the famous prisoner. Shades of Clockwork Orange here design and shot-wise; and it suggests that this could have been a stage play.

Hardy's body is his palette and I remained impressed with how he can sculpt it and brings a physicality to roles not many others could do. He is supported by a range of beautifully acted support roles that add to entertainment value of the film.

At turns funny and depressing. I doubt we will ever get to the bottom of what makes the subject tick, but this tries to, or at least tries to present the multitude of aspects of the character.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    12. Mother / Android - run of the mill post apocalyptic androids killing humans movie with the watchable Moretz as a pregnant mother trying to get into Boston with her irritatingly idiotic partner. Average in every way [5].
  • 7. Incendes
    Quite an excellent film and an excellently made film but I'm not sure I gelled with one of the main story beats though and I think it sullied it somewhat for me. But I guess it was trying to make a point with it too.
    [8]
  • It Part 2
    Well, I'd watched the first part so thought I may as well. And, I know this is all part of the book, but there's just never seems to be a reason for this to exist. The characters effectively reset and we do it all again. As a hi-tech ghost train ride, it's basically fine, but it doesn't really know how to build a sense of fear. Nearly 3 hours of people screaming at weird shit without really being in danger most of the time.
  • Yer they kinda cocked it up for part 2. They really needed to do their own thing, keep the characters together more or just have less of those individual experiences. They casted so well too which is such a shame.
    Kind of feel like they crumbled under the pressure of the popularity of Part One
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The tone changed in Pt.2. It almost has a jokey feel. The ghost train analogy is a good one.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 8. Werewolves Within
    Weird seeing the Ubisoft logo at the start of a film. Even with the typical rambling American comedy style and too many cheap jumps it was still pretty entertaining. Didn't like one of the main story beats in this either, kind of lazy
    [5]
  • How many things did they have to collect in it?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!