Movie Record 2022 Edition
‹ Previous123456713
  • poprock wrote:
    I actually ended up using Vere’s thread all through 2019, so let’s do it again.
    Verecocha wrote:
    Hvm3lL.gif Gonna record ALLLLLL the movies I watch here this year …
    I liked the short reviews/comments last year. Vere’s rule was a dozen words or less, but I broke that quite often. Some people like to leave scores, some don’t. It’s all good. You do you. What did really work was making a new post every time you watch a movie, then copy/pasting that into your master list at the start of the thread. I’m gonna do that again. Reading the list back at the end of the year was a nice thing.

Here we are again. I enjoyed doing this last year as it helped me remember all of the things I had watched and what I liked.
    I still can't quite believe some of the stuff I watched was actually at the start of last year.

Anyway, we all know the drill by now.

Here's to watching all those releases that were supposed to come out last year!

As we wrap up our watchlists of 2021 here's our new thread for all the awesome films that will come out in 2022.

It's been great going back to the cinema in the last couple of months and can't wait for more trips this year.

Come at me Moonfall!
  • 1. TBA
    An actual TBA. I got to watch an early but nearly done cut of a new film coming this year. A story about telling stories. I really liked it, a lot of cool visuals and ideas. Looking forward to seeing the finished product when it comes out and hearing what you peeps think.
    [8]

2. Trouble Every Day
    Quieter than I was expecting but also as French as I was expecting. Didn't really engage with it though and I'm not sure what points were trying to be made.
    [4]

3. Human Centipede 2
    Stupid brain tickle made me eventually watch it. I knew what it would be and that is the same as any of these sorts of movies which is completely lacking in any sort of merit or worth. Sure it makes you go 'ew gross' but to actually have any real impact there needs to be character and story and stakes. Instead it's just a poorly made nothing where you don't even remember the stuff it wants you to remember.
    [0]

4. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    Meant as a palette cleanser this made me wonder if the filmmakers have heard of pacing or flow. Because there is no point at which this is exciting or intriguing. It's just a flat-line nostalgia sludge with nothing new to show you. 1 point for Paul Rudd and 1 point for the main girl, she was good.
    [2]

5. REC
    Never watched the sequels so I'm here at the start again. Still great. The peaking, blown out sound design is excellent and intense throughout. Camera shakes a bit too much at times when it doesn't have to though.
    [8]

6. REC 2
    Dang that was excellent! So many cool setpieces throughout and really well executed. Worked well watching it straight after the first too.
    [8]

7. Incendes
    Quite an excellent film and an excellently made film but I'm not sure I gelled with one of the main story beats though and I think it sullied it somewhat for me. But I guess it was trying to make a point with it too.
    [8]

8. Werewolves Within
    Weird seeing the Ubisoft logo at the start of a film. Even with the typical rambling American comedy style and too many cheap jumps it was still pretty entertaining. Didn't like one of the main story beats in this either, kind of lazy
    [5]

9. Last Night in Soho
    At first I thought the terrible, unsubtle writing was on purpose and would lead to something but no it was just bad writing. Also, a couple of creepy moments but a lot that seemed like they were meant to be but they really weren't... Disappointing.
    [3]

10. Caveat
    A solidly tense and creepy indie. Over-does it in a few areas like music I think but considering it made me be sure my bedroom door was closed tonight I think it got under my skin. Reminded me of Possum a little, especially the aesthetic.
    [7]

11. Scream
    I quite enjoyed this. It was what I expected it would be with some nicely up-to-date meta stuff. My attention waned a little but it was fun to watch a classic slasher.
    [6]

12. The Last Duel
    Say one thing about Ridders, the man can put together a sword fight. I enjoyed this quite a lot, feels like a film from a different era. Can't imagine many directors getting a big budget for something like this.
    [8]

13. Cuties
    What an incredible, terrifying and uncomfortable film. Of course, I only really knew it from the controversy but I shouldn't have been surprised it was much much more than that. The performances feel so naturalistic and I wasn't expecting the Senegalese elements which also felt very real. Would work as a companion piece to both Eighth Grade and His House.
    [9]

14. Fear Street '94
    Took me three watch sessions to get through this. It's obviously competently made and I'll probably slowly watch the others but something about it just didn't really grab me. Perhaps it's the grab-bag nature of a lot of the parts in trying to pay homage to the time period. Not sure.

15. Wrong Turn 2021
    Really disappointed with this in the end because it starts at about an 8 and ended at about a 3 for me (although the final shot helped with me feeling better about it by the credits). It's a shame too because it has a great setup and some excellently executed violence (fantastic falling throughout) but then it fumbles the execution of a lot of it's elements and the acting is a bit too much at times. I'd say it's worth watching if you're into this kind of thing.
    [8 - 3]

16. Speed Racer
    I mean it's a nailed on, god-danged mutha fuckin filmmaking masterpiece is what it is.
    [10]

17. The Beta Test
    Jim Cummings finishes his Fragile Male Ego trilogy in classy fashion. I'll need to read about it some more and think some more to pick it apart. He's excellent at playing that role but I hope he heads in a different direction for his next thing
    [8]

18. Belle
    Anime Beauty and the Beast but not really because that's just one of too many storylines that's never properly fleshed out or executed well. Scattered and messy. Good songs, not enough of them.
    [3]

19. Resolution
    Definitely worth rewatching. Such a well made low budget film. Makes me want to re-watch The Battery as well. Also the Bluray has a full length commentary with the dog from the film, very funny.
    [9]
  • 1. Scream
    A rewatch of the series pending a cinema visit for the new film. Lacking the impact of all those years ago but still an always enjoyable horror ride of self-reference. 8.5

2. Die Hard with a Vengence
    The return of John McTiernan to the director's seat and a Gruber to the antagonist role sees an uptick in this third sequel, ably supported by a better plot and Samuel L Jackson. 8

3. Scream 2
    Strong sequel sees Sidney now at college but unable to escape Ghostface as a Father Death clothed copycat starts wreaking havoc on campus. 8

4. Die Hard 4.0
    Fairly weak generic fourth instalment, obsessed with the tech theme of the time (four point oh no), sees Willis battling cyber-terrorist Timothy Olyphant. Gets a half point extra for the car killing helicopter and F-35 scenes... and the lovely Maggie Q. 6.5

5. A Good Day to Die Hard
    Pointless fifth instalment, as far removed from the OG trilogy as it gets. Willis has slipped into his straight to video career nadir at this point and phones in a facsimile John McClane performance, Jai Courtney adds frig all as Jack McClane. I'm only giving it a five as it's my fifth film of the year so far and the fifth and hopefully final DH. 5

6. Scream 3
    Disappointing second sequel sees Ghostface working his way through the cast of Stab 3 to draw out Sidney towards a flimsy and convoluted final reveal. Less memorable than the first two films. 6

7. Scream 4
    A long gap between sequels sees Sidney now a successful writer on a book tour, as Ghostface begins another murderous spree. A better sequel than 3, the horror genres influencing the themes have changed but the tenuous nature of the central plot has not. 7

8. Intruder
    Apeshite nutjob retail wanker stalks and slices late night supermarket staff, including Raimi's Sam and Ted, in this not at all bad 1989 slasher. Clean up on aisle 4... and 7, 13, 21... 7

9. For the Sake of Vicious
    Is as the title suggests, a home invasion horror that solely exists to showcase vicious violence with little in the way of character, depth, credible premise... not terrible but hard to recommend. 6

10. Till Death
    Megan Fox puts in a decent performance as a woman who wakes up handcuffed to her husband as he promptly commits suicide, leaving her to drag his body around a secluded wintery lake house. 7

11. Scream (2022)
    Very solid and entertaining 'requel'. Doesn't stray too far from the Scream formula but updates the meta and adds some very nice touches along the way. Hopefully the sequels can remain equally as strong. 8

12. Alice, Sweet Alice
    Catholicism flavoured, Omenesque, Don't Look Now influenced 1976 slasher. A girl is murdered at her first Communion and it is her sister, sweet yet troubled Alice who becomes the prime suspect. 7

13. Stitches
    Ross Noble makes a rare foray into acting as an apeshit undead clown with a grudge, resurrected to wreak revenge on the kids that caused his untimely demise. Silly, splatty, yet watchable comedy horror, an amusing umbrella death the stand out kill. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Out!
  • 2020: 74 (average score 7.03)
    Best new new film: Parasite
    Best new old film: Memories of Murder
    Best already seen film: Once Upon A Time in America

2021: 48 (average score 7.04)
    Best new new film: Saint Maud
    Best new old film: Moonlight
    Best already seen film: In the Mood for Love

2022…

1. Smiles of a Summer Night - 1/1
    So I’ve decided to start my Ingmar Bergman run in order of how the movies are arranged in the Criterion Collection boxset. Easier to track that way. 

A comic tale of love triangles between the faithful and the unfaithful, culminating in a resolution at a Midsummer’s Night party.  Great to watch and I’ve already noticed the sub-theme of losing faith in religion, something that I had read runs through quite a few of Bergman’s films - a reflection on his own loss of faith at a young age.   Looking forward to seeing the rest of his work. 1 down, 38 to go (or 39 more if counting Fanny and Alexander twice).
    [8]

2. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - 15/1
    The only books my 11yo daughter read on her own.  Borrowing the boxset and watching them all with the kids (although 8yo probably will get scared by some bits).
    Never read the books (didn't last more than a few pages of the first one) and only seen this movie once many years ago.  No real desire to do so.  Anyway...
    I found it dull and shit before and still find it dull and shit although it sows the seeds for some interesting stuff.  I guess I should cut some slack here, they're just little kids, but my daughter and I found the acting so over the top and dramatic at times.
    [5]

3. Memoria - 16/1
    Not having seen an Apichatpong Weerasethakul film before, I didn’t know what to expect. I was pleased to find an expertly directed contemplative story with a minimalist approach to sound and visuals that perfectly suits the setting. Tilda Swinton is fantastic in the lead role, conveying so much of her character and mood with her expressions (or lack of) and body language. Perfectly suited to the role too. Slightly let down by the final act which I felt was unnecessary. Recommended.
    [8]

4. The Eternals - 16/1
    I honestly thought I would enjoy this more on a second viewing (with the kids this time). But nope. Still not any good.
    [5]

5. Avengers Infinity War - 21/1
    The Boy (and I) wanted to watch this, our favourite MCU movie, on my 4KTV with Sonos on surround. Glorious! Lovely looking and sounding non-stop action with Thanos stealing the show. Still unbeaten.
    [9]

6. Cold Water - 22/1
    Troubled rebellious teenagers in love caught on film basically. Shot on a low budget using a handheld 16mm camera, mostly close up shots with lots of tracking and long takes. A good watch.
    [8]

7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 22/1
    How did this stuff ever become so popular? Better start getting good soon. At least the kids like it.
    [5]

8. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 23/1
    Much better! The kids are getting better at acting. Pacing and story better too. Possibly helped by change of director to Alfonso Cuaron. I enjoyed this one.
    [7]

9. Avengers Endgame - 28/1
    Whilst I don’t enjoy this as much as Infinity War, it’s just such an impressive feat of filmmaking that they managed to pull together over 10 years of cinema - and what, over 20 movies? - into one cohesive and coherent finale. Bravo.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m in. I’ll add scores this year cos people like a number.

1. Kong - Skull Island - 4
    2. The Terminal - 8
    3. Law Abiding Citizen - 6
    4. The Big Short - 9
    5. Mute - 4
    6. Constantine - 6
    7. The Magnificent Seven - 7
    8. Marvel Avengers: Infinity War - 10
    9. The Lighthouse - 5
    10. Black Widow - 7
    11. Ocean’s Eleven - 9
    12. Mother / Android - 5
    13. The Eternals - 5
    14. The Departed - 9
    15. Black Panther - 9
    16. The Trial of The Chicago 7 - 7
    17. Avengers: Endgame - 9
    18. Inside Man - 7
    19. Dallas Buyers Club - 8
  • I’ll do it again, until I inevitably fall behind and then just give up.

The Last Duel. Enjoyed this. Was interesting seeing the different viewpoints. It's a shame it's so long, would definitely benefit from a subsequent watch the see the subtle differences. [8]

Sing 2. I haven't seen Sing 1 (but wife n kids have), but this was a solid, alebit by the numbers, animated music affair. Nice spread of genres in the tunes too. I'm sure there was some Mercury Rev in there. [7]

Ghostbusters Afterlife. Kinda pointless but at least they tried to do something akin to a traditional sequel rather than just a reboot. Relatively enjoyable. [6]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I watch so many movies it’s tough to keep up but I’m gonna get in on it again.

1. The Campaign
    Nice easy afternoon fodder…never gets old. 6/10

2. Tropic Thunder
    Another ‘never gets old’. Some great crazed performances. They’d never be able to make this now. Shame. 6/10

3. Interstellar
    Still gets better every time I watch it…10/10

4.Resident Evil - First Watch
    I don’t think I was supposed to enjoy that as much as I did. That was awesome. So much of the game packed into it, even fitting in characters like Lisa Trevor. Now that was a Resi film. Aces. 8/10.

5.The Accountant
    Another good easy watch over a couple of lunchtimes at work. Just an enjoyable action romp. 7/10

6.Triple Frontier - First Watch
    Quite enjoyed this. You know exactly what you’re getting and that it’s all going to go tits up, but still a reasonably engaging action/heist movie. 6/10

7.LotR - The Two Towers
    Watched the Fellowship and the Hobbits just before Christmas so finishing off the series. As good as always, an easy enjoyable watch. 7/10

8.Ghostbusters-Afterlife - First Watch
    That had no right to be as good as it was. Lots of nostalgia unsurprisingly but it was also its own movie with some good little performers and massively entertaining. Thought the 7.5 on IMDB must have been a mistake but fully deserved. Well and truly enjoyed that. 8/10 for me.
  • Here we go again …

The Proposal
    What better way to start the year than with a low-tier romcom starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, with recently-departed legend Betty White in a supporting role? (Reader, it was shit.)

The Harder They Fall
    Fun, lightweight western. Idris Elba is weirdly wooden and ends up the least charismatic person on screen, which was a surprise.

Queenpins
    ‘White collar’ crime movie about two suburban women committing fraud on an epic scale. Played light-hearted, but not quite a comedy. Surprise appearance from Vince Vaughn and a cameo from Bebe Rexha of all people.

The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard
    I need to remember that most Ryan Reynolds movies are B-tier shit action comedies and just stop watching them.

The Nest
    Overwrought, self-important ‘thriller’ with no thrills. Jude Law and Carrie Coon as an unhappily married English/American couple living beyond their means in the early ’80s. Nothing interesting happens.

On the Rocks
    Sophia Coppola revisits the themes of Lost in Translation from the perspective of an older, wiser woman. But still with Bill Murray as the manic pixie grandfather. A nice film. Not great, not fancy, just nice.

Eternals
    The first Marvel film to be dull. Emotionless performances, flat imagery, and worst of all it takes itself way too seriously whilst tackling ridiculous themes.

The Protege
    Samuel L Jackson will appear in any old shit these days, eh? Bottom-tier hitman/revenge thriller with few thrills and, for some reason, Michael Keaton.

Inside Job
    Strong documentary on the role of the US in the late-2000s global financial meltdown. Some surprisingly high profile interviewees, but ultimately it just makes you angry (and rightly so).

Promising Young Woman
    Breezy but awkward revenge thriller. Or is it a comedy? Either way, I did not expect how dark it got.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    06/01 Don't Look Up
    09/01 Bronson
    10/01 Carlito's Way (r)
    12/01 Amityville Horror (1979)
    13/01 Ghostbusters Afterlife
    19/01 The Imitation Game *
    20/01 The Killing
    21/01 Belfast

* - abandoned due to being truly awful.
    (d) - documentary
    (r) - rewatch
    (c) - rewatch with commentary
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah go on then, in
    Spoiler:
  • The Proposal
    What better way to start the year than with a low-tier romcom starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, with recently-departed legend Betty White in a supporting role? (Reader, it was shit.)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    1. Don't Look Up

Some absolute shit in there with top performances. Very on the nose. Di Caprio wasted. Way, way too long. [5]

2. Death at a Funeral

The English original. Second watch. Great slapstick comedy in there with some stellar talent. Still love it. [8]
  • I cannot believe that a film with those three could be shit.
  • In!

1. Jungle Cruise
    Without the two leads, this would have been an awful, CGI-bloated shambles of a film. As it is, it's merely a serviceable family adventure with bloated CGI that somehow manages to be both impressive and shonky at the same time. 6

2. Wonder Woman 1984
    I watched the first 45 minutes of this last year but had to turn it off because it was so unutterably awful. Turned it on the other night and caught the last 45 minutes, which were almost as bad. I might watch the middle third at some point if I find myself in need of a reason to jam cutlery into my eyes and ears. Appalling shite.1

3. Miss Congeniality
    Great fun, Sandra Bullock is funny and looks amazing and Michael Caine and The Shat shamelessly ham it up. 7

4. The Eternals
    Went in with low expectations and knowing nothing about it and it was much better than I thought it was going to be. It's definitely the prettiest Marvel film and it felt very different to anything they've done before. Very long but very enjoyable. 7

5. The Hobbit: Battle of the 5 Armies
    I love the LotR films, but other than a few amazing scenes from this trilogy I found the majority of the Hobbit films a bit crap. They're tonally all over the place but actually I enjoyed this one on rewatch, probably because it's the darkest of the three and totally the most consistent. 7

6. Arrival
    Just one of the best sci-fi films of the last (insert period here). 10

7. A Quiet Place Part 2
    Not as good as the first one, too much reliance on cheap jump scares and I actually got quite bored about half way through, which isn't great for a 90 minute film. You can't keep up that level of tension without it getting tedious. Good start and decent end, but a bit meh overall. 6

8. The Suicide Squad
    Could have done with losing 20-30 minutes, but was good fun whilst it lasted - and OMFG the body count was spectacular. By far the best DC film so far. 8

9. Another Round.
    A beautiful hymn to the highs and lows of alcohol, shot through with a heartfelt and often hilarious study of middle aged men and the things that make us the way we are. This may be the best film I watch this year - I can't think what might be better. It's rare that a film can make me cry with joy, but goddamn that final scene is perfect. 10

10. Guns Akimbo
    Harry Potter stars as a loser computer programmer who trolls the wrong people and end up on a Running Man style versus deathmatch with a psychotic mass murderer. Very, very violent, very very stupid but tonnes of fun. 7

11. RoboCop (2014)
    This is not as shit as I thought it was going to be. Some great actors and an interesting take on the character make this actually quite a decent movie. It's not trying to be Verhoevens RoboCop and it works quite well on its own terms. 7

12. Nobody
    Or, Better Call An Ambulance. Wasn't sure what to expect as I hadn't really much of an idea what the film was outside of the poster image. What it is, is a tight 90 minutes of carnage brilliantly choreographed with a great Central performance. 9

13. Encounter
    Riz Ahmed turns in a fantastic performance as a dad who rescues his kids from an insidious, micro-biological alien invasion and takes them on the road to try and escape the infection. Clever, unexpected and tense. 8

14. The Wrestler
    Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei are great (particularly Tomei...goddamn) In this story of a washed up wrestler who has fucked up everything that matters in his life. It's an acting masterclass, but the film left me a little underwhelmed - my least favourite of Aronofskys films. 7

15. Parasite
    Bong Joon Ho's superb social satire is funny, tragic and shocking in equal measure. It's also gorgeous to look at, the entire cast is amazing and the soundtrack brilliant. I can see why it won the Oscar. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    This is the year I actually watch the stuff in my Netflix queue.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    3. Palm Springs

Better than what I expected. Not twee nonsense, some great laughs. Last half hour or so went a bit too maudlin. Not bad. [6]
  • Palm Springs

Better than what I expected. Not twee nonsense, some great laughs. Last half hour or so went a bit too maudlin. Not bad. [6]

Saw that the other day, really enjoyed it, good bit of fun.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    1. Tick, tick…Boom!
    I didn’t know anything about this film, or Jonathan Larson, going in but I absolutely loved it. Probably a given that the music is top tier but the staging is brilliant and Garfield is just superb. A couple of other great performances but it really is his film. I’ll be watching this again for sure. [9]

• Death at a Funeral

The English original. Second watch. Great slapstick comedy in there with some stellar talent. Still love it. [8]
    Dinklage and Tudyk are always fantastic.
  • Saw that in the cinema with a packed crowd. No idea why my home town folk had an interest in it as they usually didn't go for anything off the beaten path (should have heard the comments during the credits of No country For Old Men after the Oscars told them they should watch it) but it was a great one to watch with a full house.

It's a real shame nobody seems to make comedies like that anymore. Ones that are designed to actually make you laugh and not just have a wry smile or a chuckle like most modern American fodder.
  • The Harder They Fall
    Fun, lightweight western. Idris Elba is weirdly wooden and ends up the least charismatic person on screen, which was a surprise.
  • And off I go…

1. Smiles of a Summer Night - 1/1
    So I’ve decided to start my Ingmar Bergman run in order of how the movies are arranged in the Criterion Collection boxset. Easier to track that way. 

A comic tale of love triangles between the faithful and the unfaithful, culminating in a resolution at a Midsummer’s Night party.  Great to watch and I’ve already noticed the sub-theme of losing faith in religion, something that I had read runs through quite a few of Bergman’s films - a reflection on his own loss of faith at a young age.   Looking forward to seeing the rest of his work. 1 down, 38 to go (or 39 more if counting Fanny and Alexander twice).
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Don't Look Up

Well that was both depressingly hilarious and hilariously depressing. Great cast and some top tier satire.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So the first day of the year I managed to squeeze in three films. None of them bangers but entertaining in their own way.

1. Kong - Skull Island nice idea, absolutely solid cast and great FX all let down by the most idiotic scripts I’ve had to sit through [4].

2. The Terminal on the face of it a simple rom-com actually isn’t about that at all, but an emotional centre around family and memories perfectly portrayed by the amazing Hanks on top form as a man displaced from his home. Yes, it’s very sentimental in places, but it works due to the performances [8].

2. Law Abiding Citizen not at all what I was expecting. Gerrard Butler vs Jamie Fox as a man out for revenge. The first half is actually intriguing but by the second half it has jumped the shark so much it spoilt what could have been a great film. Show some restraint Hollywood [6].
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    4. Sweat (dir: Magnus von Horn, 2020)

Drama based around a fictional social fitness 'influencer' and the issues that can arise from this. Primarily looking at loneliness, and a search for her place in the world. Does an exceptional job at inviting empathy and understanding with the subject, rather than some sneering, mock-doc twattishness which I'd usually expect. Highlights that despite the potential wealth, and fame that can come from this, that it can be immensely hollow and, at times, pretty fucking terrifying. One early scene in-particular captures this. A specific video goes viral, and the shit this entails leads to a fascinating watch. Kolesnik as the lead is fucking amazing. [8]

5. The Humans (dir: Stephen Karam, 2021)

A perfect embodiment of the A24 textbook, and as such almost a perfect embodiment of what I want from a film. Slow burning family drama, several generations all meeting at a daughter's new home to share lunch/dinner and to catch up, and as is always the case, things turn sour. Karam's first film as director and it is based off of his own play, which shows in the structure and flow of the film itself. Long lingering shots, out of focus, disorientating. It manages something which I find to be fascinating and I've rarely seen before - it turns the slowburn arthouse drama into a borderline horror film at times. Something which Cache and quite a lot of Haneke's work manages. Primarily done via sound (eerie bumps in the night, heavy footsteps from neighbours upstairs and a couple of 'jumpscare' moments which are really well done) mixed with a use of both light and dark as visual metaphor and mood piece. There is another visual metaphor that runs throughout which I found a bit heavy handed and is used way too often, but that's really the only slight I can give this. If the mood, atmosphere and creepy disjointedness of the whole thing doesn't grip you, you'll no doubt be bored shitless. Great performances by all concerned, especially Richard Jenkins and Amy Schumer. Will be on my list come end of year of topboy films innit. [9]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I watched 6 movies last year let's fucking go
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I watched 6 movies last year let's fucking go

Am watching my 7th now come on reg you were a movie don
  • Glad you're joining in this year DS, your list is gonna be lit by the end. Humans sounds great, will definitely check it out

Not sure if you're keeping a full list elsewhere but it can be handy to edit your first post and put everything there too so you have a full list by the end.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Top idea. I'll get that done shortly.
‹ Previous123456713

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!