52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • It’s being remade at the moment so you can re-grade come this time next year.

Not confirmed yet so I’ll keep hoping for Code Veronica or Dino Crisis.
  • Really couldn't get into RE4 when it came out on Switch.  Always a shame when you revisit an old favourite and it just doesn't do anything for you anymore.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Okay I give up, what's your avatar from?  I'm sure I recognise it.
  • It's the cover art for The Gaping Mouth by indie rock band Lowertown.

The critics went mild for it a few months ago ("occasionally fascinating!" - Pitchfork); you might have seen it pop up in your recommendeds?
  • Nope, it's not that (obviously it is, but that's not what I was thinking of - must be confusing it with something else entirely). Downloaded it anyway. #it's going down right now in Lowertown.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Okay I give up, what's your avatar from?  I'm sure I recognise it.

The mirror? Lolalolalol.
  • I'm actually quite self conscious about my weird pointy ear so this hurts.
  • I tried a google image search in case something famous popped up, but no dice.  Hopefully it comes to you soon, that shit sends me mad.

6: Devil May Cry V (PS5) 8/10

This is my first DMC; I found it to be a good jumping in point.  This has a nicely presented lore compendium if you feel like brushing up on your DMC history and even a video of the story so far (it's a bit too dense on information for me, I noped out after a couple of minutes).  In any case the story stands on it's own.  I was baffled at the beginning, but the story does drop you into the madness right away and explains things as you go on.  I found it quite engrossing even though I'm only tangentially familiar with the characters.

The fighting is really fun and carried me through the early confusion.  My only touchstone is Bayonetta, it's very much like that, only without the witch-time dodging and at a slightly slower pace.  You get some great looking enemies to beat up including some excellent bosses.  I really like the look of these modern Capcom games, a couple of the environments do look a little dull and samey but the monsters and humans are top shelf.  The cheesy guitar music deserves a shout too.

There's not too much wrong with it.  I initially thought it was too hard and wanted to turn the difficulty down, which you can't do once you started.  It just turned out I was hoarding my upgrade currency, and only spending it on continues, which was really fucking stupid.  You can buy all sorts of shit including moves and upgrading your health etc which would have been a much more sensible way of spending them.

The continue system was a bit odd.  You have some pretty stingy checkpoints so if you want to continue, you have to use a Golden Orb (you get 1 for free per day, or can purchase more with your Red Orbs (your upgrade currency) between missions.  Or, if you're out of golden orbs, you can buy a continue with red orbs.  They get increasingly more expensive each time you use one per fight.

It's really not that big a problem (I didn't find out about buying golden orbs until like the 3rd last level) but I wish it just had more closely spaced checkpoints and purchasing continues wasn't really a thing.  

Other than that though I thought it was a top game, and it seems like beating the game only scratched the surface.  It wants you to keep coming back with new modes and challenges and shit like that.  Impressive stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well there we go

1. Halo Infinite

It's very much a 7-8 of 10, boistered up by an incredible MP mode. That SP does show the real cracks in the Halo architecture and how it can't really sustain a full system.

Whatever they add to it next needs to be seriously substantial.

I am glad Halo is back and happy it was 5 on my GOTY list, but let's get busy next time.
  • It's an MP game to me so far.  I've hardly touched SP but am loving the fact that I am not 12 and therefore actually have a chance to be badass in this.  Kids'll hate it I guess.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    It's an MP game to me so far.  I've hardly touched SP but am loving the fact that I am not 12 and therefore actually have a chance to be badass in this.  Kids'll hate it I guess.
    Yeah, in full agreement. The MP is absolutely killer.
  • 19. Control (Standard Edition) - Xbox Series S (7hrs)

Always fancied this but my weird hang up with skittish framerates kept me away on the One S/PS4 as I read a few horror stories Alan Wake would've been proud of.  Enter boost mode on Series S, which is a marvellous thing and meant that I got to play the whole game at a super smooth 60fps without having to pay for the next gen upgrade. What a time.

Boiling it down to a flippant approximation Control is a sort of Metroidvania Psi Ops set in a fluid reality building.  There are plenty of Lynchian flourishes and a lot of the subliminal storytelling is Alan's waking nightmare stuff, plus there's a huge residual echo from Quantum Break.  It's quite a nice mix; The Oldest House really is a quality setting.  I'm not one for audio logs and notepads fleshing out game worlds really, but I'd imagine they're more rewarding here than in majority of the multitude of other games that do it. I love the way Remedy layer footage over the display and distort reality with various well implemented head fucks too.

The gameplay is fine.  The gunplay is nothing to swoon over but it does its job nicely enough - popping shots off is more enjoyable here than in most other third person shooters anyway.  There's no cover system, which feels odd at first but worked as a +1 in the end, it was nice to play something that felt different and overall it landed on the good side of 'solid' (I was definitely happy to go through the motions repeatedly, but without the abilities it's quite basic).  The abilities mostly work, although one particular late game addition was a bit more 'that's cool that they let you do that' rather than 'that actually feels really good, works really well and improves the game'.  

It's pretty too.  I expect the ultimate edition lays on the sheen but I like the Remedy cataracts/pastel visuals approach.  Nothing ever seems to be super sharp in motion, which somehow gives the whole thing a weird washed out smudged glasses beauty boost. Good stuff.

It has a few flaws but on the whole it averages an [8] I reckon.  It feels a little clunky here and there, and was maaaaybe dipping to a [7] just before the ashtray maze gave it a shot in the arm and a kick up the jacksie.  What an audiovisual treat that stretch was.  It was nice to play something 'AAA' for a change, even if I did rush through it (it drops off game pass in a few days and I've got a PS5 on the way, otherwise I might've given it a bit more time to breathe).  I was late to the party and didn't stay long but the Ferrero Rocher still tasted good.

tumblr_pa7xr2eIHw1qgojgxo5_500.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ashtray maze ftw indeed
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    7 hours?! We gotta pro gamer here
  • Was done in 5:30 on the video I consulted whenever I got lost, which didn't seem to be a speed run of any sort, just a no frills play. It's not that long a game if you're not bothered with side missions or 'lore'.
  • 20. Windjammers 2 - Xbox Series S (49 mins)

Surprisingly barebones sequel to a classic that passed me by.  I'm not sure what I was expecting from the package but it's fair to say more than just Arcade and Vs options (ignoring Game Pass, it'd set you back £18 to buy).  Even the training mode is just a slide show of available moves.  It's not like the turnaround from announcement to release was super swift, so it definitely strikes me as odd - it really does feel like a nicer looking Neo Geo release with added online play.  Still, for those wanting an excellent two player vs disc game it does exactly what you'd need; it's hard to find fault with the gameplay.  I went from not having a clue to getting to grips with it all quite quickly as there's a great rhythm to the matches, but I bet I'd get destroyed against anyone worth their salt.  The arcade mode feels a bit undercooked (wot no final boss character?) and it does the usual 'lel it's hard now' one on one AI thing for the final stage, but it's all just the undercard for playing against another human anyway. 

This could well end up as the best vs game of the year.  It looks and sounds great and the 'new retro arcade port' style package will be a wet dream for no nonsense retroheads.  It really is very good indeed, but YMMV on whether it feels like a [7], [8] or [9].

giphy.gif
  • I started that earlier. Started off decent but quickly got bored and frustrated.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I doubt I'll bother with the arcade mode again 
    Spoiler:
    but it's very much a Here Comes a New Challenger experience at heart.  Will try online at some point, then presumably cry and pack it in forever.
  • Yeah it seems pretty good and I don't mind the SoR4 graphics, I just had my fill of Windjammers arcade when I played the original last year.  One for multiplayer.

Glad you snagged a PS5 Moot!  Keen to read your Astrobot review.
  • Buzzing. Muzzy lent me Returnal too (and Miles), got both sitting here ready to go. And I've had Fenyx since Black Friday. All the games.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just Returnal. It’s all you need. Actually get Astro out your system first. Then Returnal.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Just Returnal. It’s all you need. Actually get Astro out your system first. Then Returnal.

This x100. 

Not sure if you know or if anyone told you, but Returnal is B&B GotY 2021.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Astro you can get done in a few hours, second best PS5 game, after that it’s all about Returnal.
  • Yay, Moot has a PS5. Rejoice.
  • Unless Bob is pulling off the ultimate troll (the pic he sent me had weird globs of...something on the box).
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Excitement?
  • You're taking a vacation from normality. The setting: a weird motel where the bed is stained with mystery. And there's also some mystery floating in the pool. Your key card may not open the exercise room because someone smeared mystery on the lock. But it will open the Scary Door.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I wish I could erase Astrobot from my brain and do it all again fresh.
  • Was considering starting a thread about something similar recently but decided I've made enough recently. I think my pick for a brain wipe would be Hollow Knight.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!