Reading Record 2022 - Uniquely Portable Magic
‹ Previous12345
  • A thread of all of us to list our reading in 2022, whether it be fiction, non-fiction, comics or audio-books. Also a place for us all to marvel at just how much Raz reads.

giphy-1.gif
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 1. Dreadnoughts vol 1(Michael Carrol)
    This is the story of how and why the Judges were created, pre- nuclear apocalypse, in response to spiralling crime and disorder on the streets of America. The opening chapter of a story that describes how a society could descend into fascism, it's a convincing portrayal of a near future world made of muted colour palettes which pops even better when intertwined with the bright, garish but no less nightmarish world of Mega City 1. I'll definitely be collecting the rest of the series as it's published.

2. Saints of Salvation (Peter F Hamilton)
    The final book in what has been an absolutely epic (in the true sense of the word) trilogy, spanning 20,000 years and millions of light years. I could not put it down – it's the best sci-fi trilogy I've read since Three Body Problem and may actually best it in many ways. The scope of the story, the superb characters, the bonkers theoretical physics and science, the sheer number of amazing ideas, the sense of place no matter where in the galaxy you are reading about, the action sequences, the giant space battles, the implacable and chilling enemy – all adds up to an incredible thrill ride of desperate chases, heroic last stands and reality/mind-bending brilliance. If you've got any interest at all in sci-fi, pick these books up now.

3. Southern Bastards, Vol 1-4 (Jason Aaron)
    Re-read 1-3 after getting 4 for Christmas. Gritty as you'd like story set in rural Alabama- where football is the religion of Craw County and the psychotic Coach Euless Boss is their fire and brimstone back woods preacher. It's dirty, crude and violent with a vulgar, cartoonish art style to match the tone of hard boiled crime and revenge. Recommended.

4. Prince of Thorns (Mark Lawrence)
    5. Kingof Thorns (Mark Lawrence)
    6. Emperor of Thorns (Mark Lawrence)
    The broken empire trilogy, which I've read before, was the start of MLs career as a fantasy author in the gritty mould of Joe Abercrombie. He's nowhere near as good, although to be fair Abercrombies first book was at times a bit stilted. Jorg of Ancrath is an interesting character though and he exists in a very interesting world. The first book has him young, between the ages of 10 and 14, escaping his brutal father, his King, to ride with a band of road brothers. They're mostly all brutal and generally one dimensional killers, rapists and robbers and mainly exist to die off without consequence. Jorg adapts and fits right in, becoming the most brutal of the bunch and leading them across the land in pursuit of revenge for the murder of his mother and little brother. There's a lot to enjoy about this trilogy, and there's tons of imagination on offer in the characters, places and concepts. But most enjoyable for me was reading all three in a row again and seeing the writer mature with his antagonist - going from edgelord shock-jock to a more considered but no less reprehensible King.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Most of my book consumption recently has been in the form of audiobook. I think I want to change that, because it's difficult to get lost in a good book when you're not making it your sole focus, which it almost never is if I'm listening to an audiobook.
  • Reserved to list the one or two books I finish.

1. A Clash of Kings - 22/1
    George RR Martin
    Yay! I finished a book! Only took… 6 months? Enjoyable enough but I don’t see why people rate these so highly.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'll do this, mostly use audible as I never get a chance to sit with a good book
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hopefully I'll manage more than last year. Finish Project Hail Mary just before year's end, now midway through I'm Thinking of Ending Things.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m actually surprised we’re doing this again given how few of us actually use the thread, but okay, once more around the sun then.  But seeing as this isn’t the most popular thread around I think this time I might just log reads rather than share thoughts on each and every one.  Will reserve reviews for books I have many thoughts about.

January:
    1.  Death’s End by Cixin Liu
    2.  The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
    3.  Downward to the Earth by Robert Silverberg
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    now midway through I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

Amazing book!
    Get schwifty.
  • So far I've read Revival by Stephen King, and have now moved onto (one of) his short story collections: Night Shift. Some great stories so far, the most famous ones in this collection are probably The Lawnmower Man and Children of the Corn.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jan
    The Inimitable Jeeves by P.G.Wodehouse
    Carry On, Jeeves by P.G.Wodehouse
    Very Good Jeeves by P.G.Wodehouse
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Returnal by Stephen King

Book of the game?
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I’m actually surprised we’re doing this again given how few of us actually use the thread, but okay, once more around the sun then. But seeing as this isn’t the most popular thread around I think this time I might just log reads rather than share thoughts on each and every one. Will reserve reviews for books I have many thoughts about.

That's a shame mate. While I never posted in the threads I enjoyed reading the write ups and mini-reviews.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I do read what others write, just didn't have much to contribute of my own, plus am more in the habit of using the main book thread, and putting the year's books, movies, TV shows and games all in the 52 games thread cos it came first and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd keep it up @Raizel.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    There are sometimes when I’m forcing myself to write something I don’t have an enormous amount to say about something. I’ll do a mix. Have already started The Midnight Library (I mistakenly called it The Hidden Library in last year’s thread I think) by Matt Haig. I’m getting It’s a Wonderful Life vibes.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Hopefully I'll manage more than last year. Finish Project Hail Mary just before year's end, now midway through I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

Oh that's a great book, really loved Project Hail Mary
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 1. Atomic Habits by James Clear
    Self help book on forming good habits and ditching bad ones. A really good read especially for this time of year.
    It focuses on ditching goals as the focus, instead looking at process and becoming the person that may achieve that goal anyway rather than the goal being an arbitrary end point. Lots of advice on how to position habits so you actually do them and remove or replace triggers for the bad habits.
    I've managed to develop a few good habits since starting the book on boxing day. Things like doing a short morning workout and remembering to moisturise everyday.
    It uses decent references to back up its preaching from examples of famous people to actual studies.
    [9]

2. ...And Away by Bob Mortimer
    A wonderful, hilarious, tender, humble book written by a man of the same traits.
    Its so refreshing to read an autobiography that remains so grounded. Bob never really accepts that his own talent has put him where he is as he instead pours over the generosity and brilliance of his friends and colleagues.
    Such a lovely human being and its a pleasure to be able to gain abit more insight into his story.
    [9]

3 A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow
    Game of thrones innit.
    Not too much to say on this one. Its a bit of a bridging book really, there is a lot of shuffling of pieces on the board.
    [7]
  • Raiziel wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Returnal by Stephen King

Book of the game?

Lol whoops! Meant Revival!

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Returnal by Stephen King

Book of the game?

Haha. I thought it might be that one. I’ve bought that. Will interested in hearing your thoughts.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Returnal by Stephen King

Book of the game?

Haha. I thought it might be that one. I’ve bought that. Will interested in hearing your thoughts.

It's an interesting read. Don't click the spoilers till you've read it! The way that King sets up
    Spoiler:
    Ultimately it's just building and building for about 3/4s of the book until you get to
    Spoiler:

I really enjoyed it, one of his better ones I'd say.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I’m actually surprised we’re doing this again given how few of us actually use the thread, but ok wasay, once more around the sun then. But seeing as this isn’t the most popular thread around I think this time I might just log reads rather than share thoughts on each and every one. Will reserve reviews for books I have many thoughts about.

Just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to use it - but your contributions would be surely t missed.

But I have to say, this is purely selfish on my part as I use everyone's records as a way of finding new books to read.
  • I want to actually do this one, if everyone's okay with mostly sporting books.

Reserved.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    I’m actually surprised we’re doing this again given how few of us actually use the thread, but ok wasay, once more around the sun then. But seeing as this isn’t the most popular thread around I think this time I might just log reads rather than share thoughts on each and every one. Will reserve reviews for books I have many thoughts about.

Just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to use it - but your contributions would be surely t missed.

But I have to say, this is purely selfish on my part as I use everyone's records as a way of finding new books to read.

How on earth can I not actually participate. I flipping love reading, after all.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I want to actually do this one, if everyone's okay with mostly sporting books.

Reserved.

Get in here, Gav. You’re most welcome.
    Get schwifty.
  • I will also reserve a spot too. I don't read as much as I used to but that is largely because I used to read on my breaks at work but I took on extra responsibilities at work that ate up my breaks. I think that should change this year. Plus I have heaps of books on my shelf that need to be read!
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I’m actually surprised we’re doing this again given how few of us actually use the thread, but okay, once more around the sun then. But seeing as this isn’t the most popular thread around I think this time I might just log reads rather than share thoughts on each and every one. Will reserve reviews for books I have many thoughts about.
    That's a shame mate. While I never posted in the threads I enjoyed reading the write ups and mini-reviews.
    I'll co-sign this. Always thoroughly enjoy reading our various review threads, even if it's not something I'm able to contribute to myself.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Me too, Raz has a knack for putting his thoughts to post and I always enjoy reading them.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oh my. Thank you guys. Will continue as before.
    Get schwifty.
  • The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker
    Fun page turner that was later adapted for the first Hellraiser film. Not going to win any awards but was perfectly enjoyable slice of horror.
  • Fight! by Harry Hill
    I enjoyed this autobiography and slice of silliness by the always entertaining Harry Hill. Lots of belly laughs
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Oh my. Thank you guys. Will continue as before.

Some you may find you want to write more about, some less. That's the way I've done it thus far. I wouldn't set a minimum. Some you might not want to comment on at all.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!