Reading Record 2022 - Uniquely Portable Magic
  • I feel like he's... overlooked? Midwich Cuckoos and Triffids are both regarded as classics of the genre, I believe, but he's not a name that comes up terribly often in discussion. Fuck it. I feel I need to go back and reread my collection this year. It's been a while.

Note - I think I remember hearing a new televised version of TMC was being made too, Raz.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just rechecked Wikipedia and you’re right, Tiger.  Added bonus: stars Keeley Hawes.  Nice.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye the Cuckoos is among his best. Triffids is top tier too. There's an older film starring Howard Keel that is closest to the novel.

In my late teens/early 20s I spent a lot of time in old bookshops picking up penguins of authors like Wyndham. Lovely old copies that I wish I had kept. :(
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Okay so the 60s film seems like it’s well loved.  Is £8 on Apple so I think I’ll wait until it’s at a more sensible price for such an old film.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's free on YT - that's where I saw it recently.

Here ye go lad.... I have no doubt this inspired a certain scene in 28 days later. (28:09)

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That’s The Triffids.  I meant The Midwich Cuckoo’s, of course.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah sorry....

There have several versions of that. I remember one with Christopher Reeve in the lead.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Everything I Know about Life I Learned from PowerPoint by Russell Davies.

Russell is an extremely modest genius. He does the same job as me, but for much cooler companies and with much more important clients (like the UK Government, Nike, Apple and Honda). He’s probably better at what we call ‘presentations’ than anyone else on the planet. This is a book he wrote recently about PowerPoint (and presentation software in general, but mostly PowerPoint because that’s what most people use).

First, Russell explains who he is, what he does, and what the hell gives him the right to pretend to be an expert. Then he writes about the history of PowerPoint, about what presentations really are and what they do, and why they’re important and worth thinking about. Finally, for the second half of the book, he gives advice on how to be good at PowerPoint and presentations in general.

It’s all in Russell’s usual relaxed and chatty style. The book is only short (under 300 pages and half of those are big slide-like typographic illustrations) and it feels like you’re reading a really fascinating blog post. That’s what Russell does - he finds something interesting, learns about it, and explains it in ways that make you find it as fascinating as he does. Then he points towards a few vague thoughts on what it could all mean and what you could do if X or Y were true … he sparks inspiration by first being interested and then being curious. And this book, well it’s about the thing he’s always been most interested in. So it’s quite a thing.

To quote from one of the early pages: “Cashpoints give you cash. PowerPoint gives you power.” That’s the sort of simple idea that makes you want to learn more. Or at least, it does for me.

Brilliant book. Maybe not for everyone, but brilliant.

Picked this up based on your recommendation. I intended to have a quick scan of it this evening but have ended up reading almost the entire thing in one sitting. What a brilliant book.
  • Glad you enjoyed it Goobs. I know it’s a bit of a departure (from fiction) for this thread.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I do quite a lot of presenting at work. I'm not amazing by any means but confident enough in my skills to take the edge off the nerves, which helps massively. Most of what he says is pretty obvious in hindsight (in a "well of course, why had I never thought of it like that before" way). It will take a bit of courage to implement, especially in an organisation like mine, because it kind of flies in the face of what people expect to see from a presentation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I do quite a lot of presenting at work. I'm not amazing by any means but confident enough in my skills to take the edge off the nerves, which helps massively. Most of what he says is pretty obvious in hindsight (in a "well of course, why had I never thought of it like that before" way). It will take a bit of courage to implement, especially in an organisation like mine, because it kind of flies in the face of what people expect to see from a presentation.

I'll be checking that one out myself.
  • The bit about why the Government’s Covid-19 safety slogans failed so hard has really stuck with me.

Stay home.
    Protect the NHS.
    Save lives.

The’ve followed the rule of three – our brains take in three-part info really really well. But they’ve completely fucked the rhythm.

Short point.
    Another.
    Longer point at the end makes it memorable.

If the slogan had been Stay home, Save lives, Protect the NHS … nobody would have fluffed it or jumbled it on live TV.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished The Eight Detectives. Thought it was pretty good - whodunnit with a twist or two, kinda novel (bdum).

Onto Weaveworld I guess... Still pondering the return nomination...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Let's try you on The Unconsoled, by Ishiguro...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Boughted! Will probably get cracking on it tomorrow.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    6. The Books of Blood Volume One by Clive Barker

This is the first in a six volume collection of some of the best short fiction (in any genre) I’ve ever read. I first read them some thirty years ago, and while I haven’t read any of them again until now, it’s amazing how some of these stories have stayed with me while so many others have been completely forgotten. Barker was a fine wordsmith in his younger days. Here he is describing New York in The Midnight Meat Train:

He had seen her wake in the morning like a slut and pick murdered men from between her teeth and suicides from the tangles of her hair. He had seen her late at night, her dirty backstreets shamelessly courting depravity. He had watched her in the hot afternoon, sluggish and ugly, indifferent to the atrocities that were being committed every hour in her throttled passages. It was no palace of delights. It bred death, not pleasure.

And it’s not just about how he wrote, but what he wrote about. The final story in this volume, called In the Hills, the Cities, is probably his most loved. It’s a sort of folk horror, and has in it some of the most bizarre imagery I’ve ever encountered in literature, and he paints it so vividly that I’ve never forgotten it. A great read, and I’m looking forward to revisiting the other five volumes over the course of the year.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I am underway with Weaveworld. Though made a slow start having confused the author's introduction with the start of the book lol.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Hope you enjoy it, muzzy. :)
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    For all the Irish badgers on here, I highly recommend Fintan O Toole's We Don't Know Ourselves. It's a very well written, and perceptive, look at Ireland since the 1950s to now, charting the country's journey from a Church-run backwater to a modern nation. It touches on a lot of stuff we all remember from our childhoods and our parents' and grandparents'  memories too. He very coherently draws together disparate strands from DeValera, the bishop of Dublin, Christian brothers and abuse, to The Late Late Show, Haughey and moving statues. Aside from being very informative, it's very well written and entertaining.
  • 1. A Clash of Kings - 22/1
    George RR Martin
    Yay! I finished a book! Only took… 6 months? Enjoyable enough but I don’t see why people rate these so highly.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    His succinct summaries of Haughey and what he did are particularly eye-opening.

Edit:  Not George RR Martin.
  • Ha. GRRM and ‘succinct’ in the same post.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    1. A Clash of Kings - 22/1
    George RR Martin
    Yay! I finished a book! Only took… 6 months? Enjoyable enough but I don’t see why people rate these so highly.

Are you still buying these from Folio?
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    His succinct summaries of Haughey and what he did are particularly eye-opening.

Edit:  Not George RR Martin.

Some guy on youtube recorded himself dancing on Haughey's grave.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    After reading the book I can understand why.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    1. A Clash of Kings - 22/1 George RR Martin Yay! I finished a book! Only took… 6 months? Enjoyable enough but I don’t see why people rate these so highly.

Yep. They’re probably the nicest of all the standard edition Folios. At least the ones I have anyway.

I’m liking them. When I say I don’t know why people rate them so highly, it’s that it often gets put in/near top of greatest fantasy books. It’s good, but not greatest good!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Have started The Unconsoled. So far everyone is solicitous of the protagonists time. But I like it already.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    1. A Clash of Kings - 22/1 George RR Martin Yay! I finished a book! Only took… 6 months? Enjoyable enough but I don’t see why people rate these so highly.

Yep. They’re probably the nicest of all the standard edition Folios. At least the ones I have anyway.

I’m liking them. When I say I don’t know why people rate them so highly, it’s that it often gets put in/near top of greatest fantasy books. It’s good, but not greatest good!

That’s a hefty outlay for books you haven’t read before. Glad you at least like them.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Have started The Unconsoled. So far everyone is solicitous of the protagonists time. But I like it already.

Good stuff. Can't remember too much about it but was pretty sure I enjoyed!

And likewise, opening forays into Weaveworld continue to intrigue, though I'm not very far in at all yet. Not enough hours in the day...

• Started The Great Gatsby tonight. Heard so much about it, gotta try it. Good opening chapter. Quite an easy read and seems fast paced.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!