Reading Record 2022 - Uniquely Portable Magic
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gatsby is among the best pieces of writing I've ever encountered. It reads like silk.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Silk eh? Funny you say that, the word smooth came to my mind when I was thinking of how it reads!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 4. Prince of Thorns (Mark Lawrence)
    5. Kingof Thorns (Mark Lawrence)
    6. Emperor of Thorns (Mark Lawrence)
    The broken empire trilogy, which I've read before, was the start of MLs career as a fantasy author in the gritty mould of Joe Abercrombie. He's nowhere near as good, although to be fair Abercrombies first book was at times a bit stilted. Jorg of Ancrath is an interesting character though and he exists in a very interesting world. The first book has him young, between the ages of 10 and 14, escaping his brutal father, his King, to ride with a band of road brothers. They're mostly all brutal and generally one dimensional killers, rapists and robbers and mainly exist to die off without consequence. Jorg adapts and fits right in, becoming the most brutal of the bunch and leading them across the land in pursuit of revenge for the murder of his mother and little brother. There's a lot to enjoy about this trilogy, and there's tons of imagination on offer in the characters, places and concepts. But most enjoyable for me was reading all three in a row again and seeing the writer mature with his antagonist - going from edgelord shock-jock to a more considered but no less reprehensible King.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Very Good, Jeeves is the third in the series of volumes of linked short tales by P.G.Wodehouse.

In these stories, I am guessing that Wodehouse has painted the vision shared by us all in these modern times of the rich loafer and the language used post WW1. In this volume I was at times having a proper belly laugh. The prose is simply exquisite and the comedy comes in the main from the descriptions of the relatively simple situations.

The use of our language through the lens of the Wooster vernacular is magnificent. I cannot recommend these enough. I only took longer on this volume because I didn't want to run out.  There's more but I'm led to believe these 3 volumes are the zenith and I have never breezed through 7-800 pages as quick.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Silk eh? Funny you say that, the word smooth came to my mind when I was thinking of how it reads!

It's a master craftsman at work as far as I'm concerned.
  • 4. A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold
    More Game of Thrones innit.
    Much more happenings than the previous book. This one covers what I think was the best season of the show after the first and the books are the same. Exciting, satisfying and intriguing. Gonna give the series a little break now.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    7. Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist, translated by Marlaine Delargy

The story is set within a fishing community on a small Swedish island, and begins when a young family take a day trip to a lighthouse and their daughter inexplicably goes missing. I liked the sound of this one, and the setting certainly appealed. I’d also seen it described on Reddit (where I got the recommendation) as having an atmosphere suffused with subtle dread. Unfortunately that’s not really the case. The horror here is a little too on the nose. It’s plot is also too baggy and unfocused, and clocking in at over five hundred pages it just feels too long for what’s here. The writing is okay in a very plain-speaking, meat and potatoes sort of way. There’s just nothing here to dazzle, really; I liked the setting and that was about it. I also own Let the Right One In and Little Star by the same author, so I may end up giving one of those a try at some point, but I’m not rushing to them after reading this one.
    Get schwifty.
  • I don't suppose I'll keep this up as I've already got my hands full updating the 52 Games thread, but as my daily commute is 3.5hrs I get a lot of train time to read (although tbh I still tend to reach for the Switch more than I plan to).  

1. The Wildling - Benjamin Percy

Very good tale of a hunting trip gone awry.  Shades of Deliverance with a bear motif.

2. The Ruins - Scott Smith

Dragged my heels a little with this one.  A much appreciated rec from Raiz but I didn't get on with it.  Most of the characters annoyed me and the horror element had a touch of tee-hee about it.  Sorry!  Hopefully I'll click with Fantasticland, it's on the list.

3. That Old Country Music - Kevin Barry

A collection of short stories 'inspired by the landscape of Ireland, as well as its many, many songs'.  I love a good short story collection and this was very good on the whole, one in particular was outstanding.  Half a point to Mrs. Moot for picking it up for me from a charity shop without reading anything other than the title.  

4. The Elephant of Surprise - Joe R Lansdale

God knows how many Hap & Leonard novels I've read (all of them, so it wouldn't be hard to work out).  They're all pretty much the same and this wasn't one of the better efforts, but it's divine trash nonetheless.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m sorry The Ruins didn’t work out for you, Moot.
    Get schwifty.
  • No probs, filled a few journeys anyway. There's a film apparently, I'd probably still watch it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, there’s a film. It’s okay. Obviously I preferred the book.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury says "What if Mars was habitable and if we went there it was populated?"

It is structured in short episodic chapters , linked by some events and characters. It's a bit weird but compelling reading. I've always liked Bradbury's style and it has that nice old-school golden age of sci-fi feel to it. Haven't read any of his work in an age. It's not a long book and it's breezy. Perhaps it's over ambitious in places and over simplifies, but it's scifi on a large scale and it's enjoyable.
  • 7. This Twisted Earth (various authors)
    So this is a kind of anthology of short stories all based in the same shared world, where there has been some kind of catastrophic collapse of time, space and dimensions that has resulted in the deaths of millions if not billions. It means that dinosaurs now roam the earth again, alongside Romans in Britain, spacefaring humans from the future, neanderthals, cowboys, super evolved evil psychic apes, Egyptian pharaohs, WW2 troops, Aztecs etc etc etc. All mashed together in one big pulpy as fuck fictional universe. I picked it up free on Kindle unlimited because Adrian Tchaikovsky wrote one of the stories (one of the best ones unsurprisingly) and it's mostly quite good. I haven't heard of 99% of the writers, but I enjoyed a lot of it - however there are a few absolute stinkers in there too. The best stories really make you want to know more about their part of the TE and the characters and biomes they inhabit. But that's the real weakness of the book - it's quite a sound concept but doesn't really go anywhere as a narrative whole and as a result is quite unsatisfying. The editor is planning more volumes and is looking for submissions from anyone and everyone, published writer or not, which I think is quite nice. I would appreciate an overarching narrative next time though.
  • Finally finished a book!

1. Last Argument of Kings - Joe Abercrombie
    Finally finished the trilogy. I enjoyed these. The scale was smaller than I expected which I liked although it wasn't quite as twisty turny as I thought it might be. I'll defo get the spin off books at some point.
  • Yeah, the next one, best served cold, is my fave (so far).
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Yeah, the next one, best served cold, is my fave (so far).

That's a cracker. The Heroes is amazing.
  • Just finished The Heroes a week or so back. Loved Whirrun of Bligh!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Nye trilogy I'd l is faith l great too

Edit: I was drunk when I wrote that!

What I meant to say, was that the second trilogy is great too.

Fucking hell.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    8. The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro

I have absolutely no idea what I just read, but good lord I loved it. I’ve almost certainly said this before, but I love books that challenge the reader to work out what’s actually going on in the narrative. I spent the entirety of The Unconsoled’s considerable length doing just that. I should probably feel cheated by the ending, but I just don’t. What a wonderful folly of the imagination that belongs alongside Christopher Priest’s The Affirmation and Iain Reid’s I’m Thinking of Ending Things. It’s not something I’d imagine is for everyone, but it definitely was for me.

So thanks a bunch, @Muzzy. At least on this end the virtual book swap was a great success! :)
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hurrah! Glad you enjoyed - I did kinda pick cos it seemed like the kind of whacky narrative you enjoy :-). And the other side is going well too, in just struggling to get quality reading time - but it's an intriguing yarn for sure with some great characters, so thumbs up 25% in!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I did kinda pick cos it seemed like the kind of whacky narrative you enjoy

Ah man, I really appreciate that! I’m still digesting the whole thing, and it’ll take a while to get my head around it. Do you remember what you took away from it? My early take was that it’s about mental illness, which is a theme that my own fiction is deeply focused on. I want to dig around and see if there are any interviews with Ishiguro regarding the story, but I need to let it settle first.

I’ll admit that I didn’t take quite the same care as you in recommending Weaveworld. No one in my circle of friends and family reads—which is really depressing—so I’ve never been able to switch anyone on to Barker. He’s a formative author for me. He transformed how I tackle my own fiction. If you only enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed The Unconsoled then I’ll be happy.
    Get schwifty.
  • I've been meaning to read some Ishiguro since hearing him on the Adam Buxton podcast. That sounds like my kind of thing.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    I've been meaning to read some Ishiguro since hearing him on the Adam Buxton podcast. That sounds like my kind of thing.

It will frustrate as much as it delights, and as I’ve already said, it’s not for everyone. But if you’re up for something fractal, with the texture of a dream, then it’s amazing. And of course, this is Ishiguro, so the prose is perfection.
    Get schwifty.
  • Barker is so good. I'm not sure I've read any other author that is as good at describing the indescribable as he is. Weaveworld was great. Terrible cover art though.
    Gremill wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Yeah, the next one, best served cold, is my fave (so far).

That's a cracker. The Heroes is amazing.

Cool I look forward to reading them!

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don’t know man, I thought this…

dbB9KP1.jpg

…was something that made me pick up Weaveworld in the book store way back when.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Spamming, but the publisher even did editions of some of his other books in a similar style:

jEWLZb7.jpg

qXkeeC9.jpg

LRb6tXa.jpg

I think I had them all at some point.
    Get schwifty.
  • poprock wrote:
    Everything I Know about Life I Learned from PowerPoint by Russell Davies.

Got this waiting to be read at the moment so may try and get into it during a few days off this week having read these reviews.

‘Interesting’ titbit…ordered direct from the author having seen it mentioned on Twitter. After it didn’t arrive I emailed him, had a very friendly to and fro and got a copy out a day later!
  • Aw, that’s nice. Russell’s a nice bloke.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I also now have it on my bedside table.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Splendid looking Barker editions there

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!