Reading Record 2022 - Uniquely Portable Magic
  • Wasteland is great - from memory I think Wizard & Glass is even better.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    11. The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy

Another wonderful story from Hardy with prose so beautiful I just want to wrap myself up in it and roll around and luxuriate in. Again, these rural romances are about as far from the things I usually like to read as it’s possible to get, so it’s a testament to the skill of the author that I loved it as much as I did. I didn’t like the ending, not because it’s a bad ending at all, but because I really cared about some of these characters, and wanted better endings than some of them enjoyed. Just a brilliant, brilliant novel, and there’s no way now I can’t not go on to read the rest of Hardy’s oeuvre.

12. A Collapse of Horses by Brian Evenson

A collection of short, weird horror stories that seem to deal mostly with people undergoing mental traumas. Something that’s definitely in my wheelhouse, and this has been something I’ve wanted to read for ages, but this disappointed me quite a bit. The writing was mostly just serviceable—there was a writing tic in many of the stories which really stood out and I would have thought a good editor might have picked up on—and many of the stories just did not do it for me. There were a couple towards the end though that I really did enjoy, particularly one about a man laid up in a hospital bed who has lost his memory and finds himself accused of the murder of four people. The writing in this one flowed very well, so he’s got the chops for this sort of thing. I still might give one of his other books a go.

I also read the short story I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter by Isabel Fall, which I thought I’d mention just to recommend it. It’s a military sci-fi story, which is not normally my sort of thing, but it came to my attention because of the controversy surrounding it. The title of the story comes from an internet meme used to denigrate transgender people. Apparently the story enraged some militant gatekeepers of the trans community and Fall, who is a trans woman, was utterly beset by a barrage threats. Shortly after this the story was taken down and Fall admitted herself to a psychiatric hospital. One has to wonder if these reactionaries even read past the title before launching into internet threat overdrive, because it’s clearly a story that’s intended to defang the meme. It’s a well written, throughly modern and uncompromising piece of fiction. I hope Fall is well on the mend.
    Get schwifty.
  • The whole Attack Helicopter saga is saddening/fascinating.
  • poprock wrote:
    I like how you can slowly understand the gibberish Scots after a while.

Fixed that for you.

What ;-)

• Where'd you source the Isabel Fall story?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s here under the original title:

https://archive.md/oXDEt
    Get schwifty.
  • The Omen

Still a great slice of horror
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Wasteland is great - from memory I think Wizard & Glass is even better.

I think Wizard and Glass is my favourite. Absolutely fantasic book.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'm currently reading a book in which IM FEATURED IN!! WOOOHOO!!

"Martial Arts and Your Life: The Story Of Us, What We Do and Why" by Kris Wilder and Lawrence Kane.

My profile is only 4 pages but still... It's a start!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'm glad it's that book and not 'Britain's Most Notorious Monsters'.
  • Just wait for my autobiography "does this smell infected?"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:

That's the peak. I remember saying to myself that if this series gets any better my head will explode. Sadly it didn't and tailed off if anything but it was still very good even at that point.

The end
    Spoiler:
    - so it should be better than I found it to be. At some point I will go back for a re-read.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

That's the peak. I remember saying to myself that if this series gets any better my head will explode. Sadly it didn't and tailed off if anything but it was still very good even at that point.

The end
    Spoiler:
    - so it should be better than I found it to be. At some point I will go back for a re-read.

I’m really looking forward to Wizard and Glass. I’m following a recommended expanded reading list so I have a few to read before I get to it (Insomnia, Rose Madder etc)
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Wind through the keyhole was written after the series was completed - but if I remember right it fits in after Wizard and Glass. Great stuff too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    By Jimminy, I'd love HBO to give The Dark Tower the full fat works.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    13. Gone to See the River Man by Kristopher Triana

Protagonist Lori, at 39, hasn’t had much luck in love, and perhaps in desperation she has struck up a relationship with a man currently banged up in jail because…well, he’s a serial murderer of women. He wants her to do him a favour: go to his old riverside shack somewhere in the American back of beyond, retrieve an item from a chest, and return it to the River Man upriver. As she sets out on this quest, taking her mentally and physically disabled sister with her, we start to peel back the events that brought Lori here in the first place. And they are fucking dark. I was not prepared. There’s some really disturbing shit in this woman’s past. Unfortunately, this is a potentially potent and absorbing story fashioned with blunt, clumsy tools. The author is taking on some really dark stuff, and in my opinion he just wasn’t up to the job. No authenticity, no nuance. I was still propelled through the story at a fairly blistering rate, so I suppose he must have been doing something right, but Lori never felt like a fully formed character, and so much of the story depended on her. This might have worked better as a short story.

14. You Should Have Left by Daniel Kehlmann, translated by Ross Benjamin

Now this is more like it! A screenwriter rents a house halfway up a mountain and stays there with his wife and daughter while he works on the sequel to his first hit film. Then things start to get weird. The story is presented to the reader through the journal he is keeping while he is there, and the whole thing really does flow beautifully. None of the stilted language I kept coming across in the previous book. Not saying anything more about the story as that would destroy the mystery, but this is definitely one I’d recommend, and I’ll be having a look at the authors other books.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In Retrospect : The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam is Robert McNamara's account of the mad descent into further madness under the JFK and LBJ administrations while he was Defense Secretary (sic).

An intelligent man(chair of Ford motors before and president of the World Bank after he left because of differences with LBJ),  he is clearly troubled by his and others' failures in the early 60s. He sets out everything he and his colleagues did wrong in some detail and summarises them and attempts to formulate lessons from them - which seemingly haven't been learned as I look around today. An easy read despite the subject matter and McNamara comes across as a an empathetic and thoughtful man despite the shortcomings of his service. He has been labelled with many things and while he doesn't address them all here, it's probably fair to say he was blamed for a lot of things that went wrong - perhaps incorrectly.

I have a physical copy of this I got from an Amazon trader a few years ago and the bonus feature of this is that it has been signed by him. Nice. Makes it a keeper.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I don’t go in much for military history but there’s something about Vietnam that is wedged in my mind. I’m sure it’s at least partly due to all the films that came out in the 80s but I’ve been watching and reading a lot on it over the last few years.

The Fog of War doc with McNamara was fascinating and the structure of that came from his book so I’ll have to add it to my list.
  • You can tell I've been on holiday, I've got some reading done...

Utopia Avenue - David Mitchell
    I'm a fan of much of Mitchell's work - to the point of standing around in the hight street handing out free copies of Cloud Atlas on World Book Day, back when that was a thing. None the less, even as a fan, it's kind of hard to recommend his latest.  Which is a shame, because it has moments of greatness, but buckles under the weight of its self indulgence.

To rewind - Utopia Avenue is his ninth novel, and tells the story of the eponymous fictional 60s psychedelic rock band, from their humble beginnings, their gradual rise and inevitable end. If that sounds familiar, then, yes, it is for the most part. The band is made up of 4 members with the story told chiefly from the perspective of 3 of them - working class bassist Dean, middle class folk pianist Elf and descended from Dutch aristocracy lead guitarist Jasper.  Gross, the drummer - is relegated to a single chapter of his own - it's not clear whether this is a knowing nod towards the popular perception of drummers, or simply that Mitchell doesn't really know what to do with him.

If you're a follower of Mitchell's work you may have raised an eyebrow at the "dutch aristocracy" bit and the knowledge that Jasper's surname is De Zoet probably nails it. His novels have always included references to the others (and his first book - Ghostwritten - is essentially a series of short stories that reference each other).  Here he turns that dial up to 11 however.  Every other character is either someone we've heard of before in one of his other books, or a descendant of them.  This becomes particularly the case in the latter third of the book, when the narrative suddenly takes a left turn, and for De Zoet's sections especially, it resembles a direct sequel to The Bone Clocks and Slade House.  As someone who's read those books this twist was long overdue (the hints are there from the outset), for those who haven't I can only imagine it would be utterly perplexing.

Third act detour aside, I suspect the references to other characters would be fine for new readers.  What's likely to prove universally distracting though is his insistence on dropping in every possible reference to the period. Mitchell fell into a similar trap in his 80's set "Black Swan Green", but again its exaggerated here - with barely a page being turned without some famous ghost from the past wondering in. Here's David Bowie!  Look, it's Marc Bolan, being a dick! Now we're hanging with Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell.  Jerry Garcia's turned up!  etc etc.  Whilst such cameos would be fun in small doses, they become tedious, and slightly ridiculous - each is less a person than a caricature of the celebrity.

As I say, there are moments of greatness in here. A genuinely touching section crystallising one characters grief feels like it belongs in another novel altogether.  Equally, the sections referencing elements established in Bone Clocks are a fun extension of that narrative - but you have to get through two novels worth of stuff to get there.

So, yeah, if you're a fan, it's probably worth it for the good bits, but beware. It's frequently self indulgent, and it's long even by Mitchell's standards.

People From My Neighbourhood - Hiromi Kawakami

Almost the exact opposite of Utopia Avenue.  This is a tiny volume, containing many short stories each only a few pages long. Each tale stands alone, but also links together with the others to create its own unique world. Some stories seem simple and unremarkable memories from a childhood, others are utterly surreal and magical. They linger after you've finished, and I found that I had started to add elements that were never actually there in the book at all, as if I had dreamt them.

The characterisations are superficially simple, but again build over multiple tellings, enhanced by the odd chronology of the tellings, so that you often know a character's future before they've even be properly introduced. Similarly the oddness of the neighbourhood, whilst established in the first tale, gradually reveals itself over time, such that when we get to the utterly bizarre, you're quite happy to accept them.

Absolutely recommended. It's short, so even if you hate it, you will have lost very little of your life to it.  If you have any love for folk or fairy tales then I would absolutely suggest you pick this one up, as it's a fine new addition to that tradition.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    I don’t go in much for military history but there’s something about Vietnam that is wedged in my mind. I’m sure it’s at least partly due to all the films that came out in the 80s but I’ve been watching and reading a lot on it over the last few years. The Fog of War doc with McNamara was fascinating and the structure of that came from his book so I’ll have to add it to my list.

Aye....Vietnam is one of "those" topics that is of interest due to it being modern history, and as you say, the subject of some very good films. It's the first book on the subject I've read. Obviously it is one point of view and it only covers to the point where McNamara left in despair and in complete disagreement with the generals. He admits to many mistakes but according to this, at least by '68  his recommendation was to get out instead of doubling down. That Fog of War doc is good - he is in his 80s in that and still sharp as a laser.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    15. Little Eyes by Samanta Schweblin, translated by Megan McDowell

This is one of the stranger books I’ve read recently, if for no other reason than it’s structure. There isn’t really an actual narrative here, but rather a collection of smaller stories told in fragments across the book. Their only connection is a new high end consumer toy called a kentuki. They are essentially small, mobile soft toys with cameras in their eyes that come in a variety of animal flavours and colours. Once you switch your new toy on it spends the first couple of hours establishing a connection with someone else in the world, who has paid just as much for a one time use code that allows them to control the kentuki as the person paid for the toy. Those who control these toys are called dwellers, and those that buy the kentukis are called keepers, and if this little gadget even once fails to make it back to its charging pad before the battery runs down it can never be revived. The stories explore the strange bonds people can form when they have a limited means of expression, and many of them feel very cautionary. I’ve already read Schweblin’s Fever Dream, and while I greatly prefer that, and I enjoyed this as just something completely different in both its ideas and structure.

16. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

This feels like a fairly close cousin of Wells’ The War of the Worlds, especially in those moments when the protagonist is wandering the streets of a forlorn London. Really enjoyed it, but it doesn’t come close to The Midwich Cuckoo’s for me.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Must re-read the Midwich Cuckoo's. Over 30years since I read it when I blitzed through all of Wyndham's work in a short space of time.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    17. Remains by Andrew Cull

Lucy, freshly discharged from a psychiatric hospital where she spent several months after the murder of her young son, buys the house where he was murdered and moves herself in. She has convinced herself that she can somehow contact the ghost of her little boy if she remains close to the place her was murdered. The sum total of much of the dialogue in this book ends up being: “Alex, are you there?” “Speak to me, Alex, please!” “Is that you, Alex?” etc, ad nauseam. What could have been a meditation on grief is very quickly revealed to be a skin deep horror story. Lucy isn’t simply defined by her grief, she is the very personification of it. You take the grief away and there isn’t a character there at all. I couldn’t empathise with her because there wasn’t a character there to empathise with. A book that started out with great promise but one I was ultimately just glad to be over and done with.
    Get schwifty.
  • 2. The Discomfort of Evening
    Bad times on a Dutch dairy farm for this family after a tragedy. It's one of those books that has one note and then just keeps banging that drum over and over until the end. I get it, she's in a bad place and so is the family. Felt a bit too edge-lord for me with how it tried to push your buttons.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    18. Ghost Summer: Stories by Tananarive Due

I’m loath to call this a collection of horror stories, but if they had to be pigeonholed somewhere, I suppose horror would be the place to put them. They contain ghosts, zombies, werewolves, monsters and a small variety of apocalypses. But these stories are never on the nose. The werewolf story, for instance, is about a young lycanthrope woman going to see a dermatologist about hair growth in inconvenient places at a certain time of the month. She always puts her characters first, and with good reason. Due does more to breathe life into her characters in twenty or thirty pages than some authors manage in eight hundred. My favourite, Patient Zero, is delivered through the diary entries of a ten year old boy confined to an isolation room in a lab while a pandemic might or might not be decimating the world outside. There are many great stories here, and Tananarive Due is a very fine writer.
    Get schwifty.
  • Sounds interesting. I think I'll check it out. Or at least buy it and have it sit on my shelf for a long time before I read it
  • 3. Annihilation
    Remembered I'd never read the others in the series so I went back to the first. It really is pretty much a perfect book. Such an eerie and evocatively told story.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    3. Annihilation Remembered I'd never read the others in the series so I went back to the first. It really is pretty much a perfect book. Such an eerie and evocatively told story.

Yes!  Loved this one, and it’s the book that got me back into reading after a ten year slump.  VanderMeer announced recently he’s working on a fourth book.
    Get schwifty.
  • 3. Annihilation
    Remembered I'd never read the others in the series so I went back to the first. It really is pretty much a perfect book. Such an eerie and evocatively told story.
    Loved this. Wish it had been standalone. The follow ups were enjoyable but the first is, for me, a classic.

• 10. Black Sun (Rebecca Roanhorse)
    First in a new fantasy series in which a blinded young man must become the vessel for a vengeful crow god in order to take revenge on the priesthood that slaughtered his mother's people. It's pretty good - the world is based on a lot of South and Central American ancient cultures and myths so it is doing something a bit different to the usual epic fantasy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!