Ahead of its time, before its time, right on time
  • I know what ahead of its time means, something that's a good idea but because it's new it doesn't take off and get the success and recognition it deserves. But how does before its time differ from that? Like the question is three things, this, that or the other, but the first two feel like the same thing to me? Obviously right on time is the lightning in a bottle stuff that just becomes massive because it's the right thing in the right place at the right time
    I think, like Pop said, it was just a mistake in the thread title by Face. My brain obvs doesn't pay attention and auto corrected it to something that made sense "ahead of it's time, after it's time, right on time"....i didn't even notice what it realy said until your post! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian wrote:
    What did Halo 3 offer that Infinite can’t aside from Forge and Co-op, both of which we know are coming soon to Infinite?

A multitude of playlists, an actual functioning in game theatre suite, a good ranking system, a proper campaign, stat tracking, a file share system etc.

Halo 3 was way ahead of its time for a console shooter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    What did Halo 3 offer that Infinite can’t aside from Forge and Co-op, both of which we know are coming soon to Infinite?

A multitude of playlists, an actual functioning in game theatre suite, a good ranking system, a proper campaign, stat tracking, a file share system etc.

Infinite now has a multitude of playlists, plus it’s got a much meatier campaign than 3’s, I’m still on my Legendary playthrough, but I’d already rank it above 3’s. Plus file sharing will inevitably come with Forge.

Can’t say I’ve really touched the other bits you’ve mentioned in 3 or this.

I don’t think there’s that much between 3 and Infinite, or there won’t be when Forge and co-op are added.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Infinite now has a multitude of playlists, plus it’s got a much meatier campaign than 3’s, I’m still on my Legendary playthrough, but I’d already rank it above 3’s. Plus file sharing will inevitably come with Forge.

I don’t think there’s that much between 3 and Infinite, or there won’t be when Forge and co-op are added.

A meatier campaign than 3's??? I'll have to disagree with you on that one lol. Halo 3's campaign is balls out all the way through. The fact that half the game wasn't there at launch for Infinite just bolsters my point.
  • Infinite is certainly ahead of it's time for all the features to be in it.
  • Infinite is certainly ahead of it's time for all the features to be in it.

Cat ears came out a few weeks back mate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

A meatier campaign than 3's??? I'll have to disagree with you on that one lol. Halo 3's campaign is balls out all the way through. The fact that half the game wasn't there at launch for Infinite just bolsters my point.

Meatier as in there’s more of it.

I mean, this: https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=4263

Versus this: https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=57454

It’s longer ignoring side objectives, and significantly longer if you include them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pioneering Atari were very forward thinking. Many of their classic era games are simplistic but even those are quite sophisticated on closer inspection. My beloved Asteroids has so many subtle touches and beautifully realised physics that it belies its age (1979-80). Some of them were way ahead of their time.

Their early attempts at 3D were certainly cutting edge. Setting aside the fake 3D games like Battlezone, there was the polygonal driving game Hard Drivin' Barely more than a tech demo but pretty impressive stuff for 1989.  Force feedback, replays etc all present.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hard Drivin’ was so hyped at the time, and such a disappointment to play.

I was astounded when the sequel was ported to the Game Boy. Incredible to see full 3D running on that little black and white machine. Still no gameplay to speak of, though.
  • poprock wrote:
    Hard Drivin’ was so hyped at the time, and such a disappointment to play. I was astounded when the sequel was ported to the Game Boy. Incredible to see full 3D running on that little black and white machine. Still no gameplay to speak of, though.

this, it was unplayable. Just a touch on the joystick or keys and you'd turn almost 90 degrees and go off course. The jumps were a mare too.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Hard Drivin’ was so hyped at the time, and such a disappointment to play. I was astounded when the sequel was ported to the Game Boy. Incredible to see full 3D running on that little black and white machine. Still no gameplay to speak of, though.
    this, it was unplayable. Just a touch on the joystick or keys and you'd turn almost 90 degrees and go off course. The jumps were a mare too.

Most of Atari's arcade output doesn't survive the transition to console because of the excellence of the custom control schemes they used.  But also because they are arcade games.

Marble Madness, Super Sprint, Tempest, Missile Command, Centipede, Battlezone, Paperboy, Warlords, Xybots, Crystal Castles.....all great games but using odd control schemes that just don't translate to a pad. Those controls were part of the experience.
  • Hard Drivin’ was a nightmare in the arcade though. It just wasn’t fun. A driving game where you have to be as careful as you can for as long as you can. As you said, it was pretty much a tech demo that got released as a game. Astounding to see in action at first, but then you crashed and that was it and you felt ripped off. And, most importantly, you went back over to play OutRun again instead with your next pocketful of change.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never saw it in the arcade though I tended to avoid driving games as the imposed time limit gave me the impression of poor value....even though some life based games took you out sooner.  :)

But my logic was the better you got the quicker the laps and the shorter the game.  Pole Position beguiled me though.  And Outrun rewarded better play with longer games too.
  • The next racing game I remember being a real arcade ‘event’ was Daytona USA. So that was quite a gap …

Daytona USA delivered true multiplayer racing, in arcades big enough to afford multiple cabinets. In that respect, it’s the forerunner of Friday Night Forza.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember seeing Virtua Racing for the first time and was blown away by that but - yeah - Daytona took it to the next level.  Daytona is still one of my favourite ever racers.

(Just learned that Race Drivin', Hard Drivin's sequel had a 2P link up mode.  Watched some videos of people who could really throw the car around in that old game - playing for over 40mins on 1 credit!!)
  • Daytona came out after Ridge Racer. I'd call Ridge Racer an event.
  • I didn’t play RR until the PSP launch version, so it wasn’t an event for me.
  • That’s quite some box art.

WHEELS OF FIRF
  • I was massively hyped for Chase HQ 2 on the speccy because you could lean out the window and fire your gun at the getawaying criminals, just like in the movies. Was one of those 'things ain't gonna get better than this' gaming moments for me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I had Hard Drivin’ on my Atari ST as part of a compilation along with one of the Outrun games (Turbo, I think), Powerdrift, and one or two others, I think. I put more hours into Hard Drivin’ than the others combined. I played with a mouse (you needed that analogue control) and I could drive as long as I wanted; I would drive a few laps of the fast track, building up my available time, then have plenty for a loop of the stunt track. I can’t remember the details, but you could face-off against phantom cars, racing each other around the track. I know folk are saying it was barely more than a tech demo, but it was great once you got into the zone, trying to improve your times.

Going by some of the expert plays I've seen on YT with the arcade version there was definitely more to it for those who got into it. I watched parts of a WR run on the speed track. There's a super stunt track that looks bonkers with a corkscrew section - think that's in the pseudo-sequel Race Drivin'
  • The corkscrew was in Race Drivin’, yep.
  • I had a port of HD on a home computer.  I'm going to say it was the CPC464 but that seems impossible.  From memory it achieved about 1FPS.

My friend had Stunt Racer on the A500 when I only had the Amstrad, and while SR looked amazing the frame rate also made it basically unplayable.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The Vita is fantastic bit of kit. My favourite handheld ever.

Kinect was ahead of it's time.

Kinect 2 is an amazing piece of technology that people shit on so much that MS stopped shipping with the console.

This, 100%.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Unlikely wrote:
    My friend had Stunt Racer on the A500 when I only had the Amstrad, and while SR looked amazing the frame rate also made it basically unplayable.

Stunt Car Racer was incredible on the ST. Definitely ahead of its time.
  • Correction accepted - Stunt Car Racer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!