Objectively the most perfect game (it's Rocket League)
‹ Previous1234
  • I think about this pretty much everytime I go back to play Rocket League.

For what it is trying to be, for what games are to me, it always amazes me how just pitch perfect it is in pretty much every element of the game. It's not a game I would consider as a greatest ever or my personal fave, it perhaps doesn't resonate on an emotional level or have that sense of mystery and adventure that often is inherent to the all time great 'experiences'...but I do keep wondering if it's perhaps the most faultless piece of game design and execution.

The controls are perfect - responsive, accurate, simple to pick up but with plenty of depth. Even the way they deal with camera controls, which could be a big problem for this kind of game, is a solution I don't think could be bettered.
    The gameplay is perfect - it's fast, it's fun. It's simple enough that kids can pick it up and play straight away, but with a subtely and complexity to it that even after years playing it I'm totally shite in comparison to the advanced level players.
    It plays fair - sure there are flukes and unlucky bounces and rebounds, and it hurts when experts fly through the air scoring unbelievable goals, but it's always fair. There's no sweaty goals, no cheat moves you can't stop, nothing that can't be stopped if you're in the right place and time.
    The level design is so clever. The layout of the boosters and the design of the arena is such that you can navigate around without needing to look where you're going. The distance between boosters and the timing of their regen just feels perfect - always just in reach, never too easy to be fully boosted all the time, just awkward enough that sometimes you're stuck with no boost for a few seconds and it feels like forever. All the other little visual touches to help you navigate the game world too (like the little outline and lines on the ball to help track it in 3d space etc)
    Every goal feels great. Doesn't matter how you score it, it's either a hilarious fluke or something to be proud of no matter how simple it appears.
    It's multiplayer and it's super slick in all the modes. on your own or with 2/3/4 friends? just party up and go and you'll probably be in a game in seconds. Regular tournaments too if you want to test yourself.
    Graphically it's sharp, colourful, detailed and most importantly smooth and fast. It's also always very clear in visual feedback.
    Audio is judged spot on. Some of the music is really great, it hasn't bored my yet, and even the OTT commentator manages not to be annoying after all this time.
    The in game quick text chat is a brilliant way to have a bit of banter/respect with opponents without the whole thing becoming a bitter slagging match on voice chat.
    It's even free now! And you never feel like you're missing out anything gameplay wise by not buying stuff.
    The default mode is king. It's perfect and the one to come back to. But they do keep adding free extra modes and stuff for a bit of variety.
    You can jump in for a quick 5 minute game or play for hours and it never really gets boring (unless you hit a run of super opponents who make you weep at your own failings - expressed by calling them cheating flying ****s obviously - even then you can just switch mode)

If I was being really picky, the only thing i can ever think of as a negative is that after a casual mode match, you can't quickly move on to new opponents. Clicking ready just seems to do the same as clicking rematch, leaving you waiting for opponents to decide. But that might be cos I only ever play in parties rather than joining randos, and I guess nothing can be totally perfect ;)

Anyway, once you all agree I'm right and that it's Rocket League, we can maybe open the discussion to see if anyone wants to make the case for another game. :)

Preferably not Tetris as that seems too obvious ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Its Tetris though.
    Specifically on the GameBoy.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Its Tetris though. Specifically on the GameBoy.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If we stick with "for what it does" etc, then something like Street Fighter II is perfect - spcifically Hyper Fighting for me.

Obviously some will say no, mainly if thye don't actually like fighters.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Its Tetris though. Specifically on the GameBoy.

• So yeah, my pick: Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting.
  • So, on reading the thread title, I was ready to say Tetris, but you've ruled it out.

Hyper Fighting is a very good shout. Definitely my favourite version of SFII.

Tetris (particularly on GameBoy) was a huge hit because it was so simple to play, but hard to master.

Everyone could enjoy it for what it was.

Only other game that comes close to that for me, is Puzzle Bobble.

I suppose Candy Crush is worth a shout, considering how massively popular it is.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Puzzle Bobble is a strong shout.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Enter Yoss with Threes.
  • GxaPuyN.jpg
    CW6ccHp.jpg
    C8nQexA.jpg
    SEgVq74.jpg
    D6Dt8xO.jpg

It’s Danganronpa.
  • Rocket League deserves a place in this sort of list, strong agree. I'm apalling at it, but what a game.
  • In another thread I mentioned Rocket League as a game that should be in my top 10 of all time, because it is mechanically perfect.

Success in this game comes down to just 2 things mostly. Teamwork and skill. These things can always be improved. There is no ceiling to them. It's why is captures the spirit of team sport more than FIFA ever could.

I ain't that good at it, but I'm a team player, so if you want a match drop me a PSN request.
  • Point Blank. Nidhogg. Pick your favourite version of Worms. Heave-Ho.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Super Meat Boy fuckin nails skill platforming. Perfect fidelity in controls. Encourages risk taking to get them dark worlds. Poyfect.

But yeah, Rocket League is a great shout too. And Tetris. Harder to argue that either could meaningfully be better.
  • Meat Boy yes. Monkey Ball yes for the template but perhaps not quite thanks to some stages being much better than others (imo).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Enter Yoss with Threes.

Fuck yeah.

And Rocket League, and Tetris, and Halo: CE. Quite possibly Worms and potentially even Hades, although I need that one embed into my consciousness for a few more years yet before I can call it.
  • It Noita.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Boring answers: Solitaire and Minesweeper.

For real.
    Lemmings. Amiga for me, I think it needs mouse play to be perfect regardless of platform.
    Its a simple concept done well and wrapped in a charming presentation.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    In another thread I mentioned Rocket League as a game that should be in my top 10 of all time, because it is mechanically perfect. Success in this game comes down to just 2 things mostly. Teamwork and skill. These things can always be improved. There is no ceiling to them. It's why is captures the spirit of team sport more than FIFA ever could. I ain't that good at it, but I'm a team player, so if you want a match drop me a PSN request.
    Finally someone gets it! ;)

People just listing their favourite game when it's had 17 sequels that others argue are better...SHEESH! ;)
  • Agree with Rocket League, Tetris, Monkey Ball and Worms.
    Osu Tattake Ouendan could probably be up there?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Roujin wrote:
    It Noita.

I love Noita, but I think it has some major issues with its design and loop, which is understandable given they started from the literal sandbox and had to build around the chaos to make something that would work.

Even with its issues it has somewhat ruined other far more tightly designed roguelikes for me, just because the physics are so incredibly fucking cool.
  • Slay the Spire
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    People just listing their favourite game when it's had 17 sequels that others argue are better...SHEESH! ;)

If that’s in reference to Halo, then no, I absolutely consider the mechanics, sandbox and balance in Halo: CE to be perfect in a way that was never bettered by the sequels.
  • Trials Evo surely in terms of skill purity. Rising is the better game, but manages to do more things wrong. Maybe stretching the definition of perfect to say Evo is more perfect when Rising does some of the things Evo does better.

Another contender would be Slay the Spire, as IMO the most perfectly balanced game.
  • I would say that the good levels of Halo: CE are pretty perfect, but some of the later shittier levels really drag the game as a whole down. The first half is probably the most perfect FPS experience out there.
  • How I personally determine perfection in terms of the arts is if there's ways I can think of changing it that would obviously make it better, if I can't think of something then I have to conclude that it's basically perfect.

Death Stranding is fairly close for me, there's a handful of superficial things that could make it better but overall I just thought it was great, a very solid 9/10. I'm not sure I've played too many 10/10s recently, but Metroid Prime is still my No.1.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If that’s in reference to Halo, then no, I absolutely consider the mechanics, sandbox and balance in Halo: CE to be perfect in a way that was never bettered by the sequels.

Firstly, this is just meant to be a bit of fun.
    Secondly, i thought the 'SHEESH' and the wink made it clear it was a tongue in cheek response.
    Thirdly, you're wrong anyway cos it's Rocket League. ;)
    Fourthly, if you do want to go for Halo:CE, then you're first saying that there's not a single thing any of the sequels do or add that in anyway would improve the original (never mind stuff in the other billion FPSs). Otherwise you're just picking your favourite game :P
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I would say that the good levels of Halo: CE are pretty perfect, but some of the later shittier levels really drag the game as a whole down. The first half is probably the most perfect FPS experience out there.

I don’t really care that much about the levels, I care about the quality of the mechanics and the sandbox. It’s in those aspects that I consider CE to be perfect.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!