What if the Soviets got to the moon first? (But video games.)
‹ Previous12
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Pose your alternate (gaming) history questions to your fellow badgers. I predict this thread will be deader than BoJo the Clown's political career in pretty short order, but fuck it. I ain't got nothing better to do.

Here are my ideas, to get the ball rolling.

1. If you had a 32X and Mega CD, your Mega Drive could play Saturn games.
    Not as crazy as it sounds: the 32X and the Saturn used, afaik, reasonably similar hardware. They had the same processors, albeit running at a slower clock-speed on the 32X, and the add-on had less RAM.

2. The Dreamcast used standard DVDs instead of GD-ROMs.
    I'll leave it up to you if that means it can play movies.

3. Nintendo didn't break their deal with Sony, and we got a SuperCD add-on, as well as a "PlayStation": a SNES/SuperCD all-in-one, a la the Twin Famicom, Turbo Duo, Multi-Mega, et al.

Given one of the changes above, how would the world of gaming be different today?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • thread would definitely make less sense
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If Atari had done a US distribution deal with Nintendo (Which Nintendo suggested) there's a real chance they would still be around in a real sense as a software developer.

If Saturn played Megadrive carts - but only if they hadn't pissed all that money and trust away on the those damn addons.

The Sony/Nintendo deal: I don't think would have been successful - the console would have been a compromise. No Playstation = a bad thing.

And yeah - Dreamcast with a DVD drive. Might have helped but Sega had pissed too much money away by then.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    If Atari had done a US distribution deal with Nintendo (Which Nintendo suggested) there's a real chance they would still be around in a real sense as a software developer. If Saturn played Megadrive carts - but only if they hadn't pissed all that money and trust away on the those damn addons. The Sony/Nintendo deal: I don't think would have been successful - the console would have been a compromise. No Playstation = a bad thing. And yeah - Dreamcast with a DVD drive. Might have helped but Sega had pissed too much money away by then.

Yeah, the "Atari NES" thing is interesting. You'd have ended up with Atari vs Sega in 90s playgrounds, with the nerdier kids knowing that the machine is called the Nintendo Famicom in Japan. I think Nintendo wanted the brand recognition that came with the Atari name, but I think people have suggested that Atari were never serious about getting the NES to market - they just wanted to mess Nintendo around long enough to maybe save their own skins. It's a bit tin-foil hat, but I wouldn't put anything past Atari at that point in their history.

Agreed on the Sony/Nintendo deal. I think if Sony's all-in-one hadn't been a success (and the Mega CD suggests it wouldn't have been), they wouldn't have bothered with any more gaming stuff. I think a lot of the PlayStation project (the one we know) was fuelled by Sony's desire for revenge.

On the Dreamcast + DVD front, wouldn't it have saved Sega money to use an extant format, rather than creating their own? Plus part of the DC's downfall was the rampant copyright infringement, aided by the GD-ROM system being easier to circumvent than Sega thought it would be.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    . On the Dreamcast + DVD front, wouldn't it have saved Sega money to use an extant format, rather than creating their own? Plus part of the DC's downfall was the rampant copyright infringement, aided by the GD-ROM system being easier to circumvent than Sega thought it would be.

Possibly ,though piracy didn't harm the PS1. The PS1 was the console of choice for Pikeys.

Re DVD, I suppose Sega didn't want to pay licences to Sony for DVD but it was a wrong move.

The Atari/Ninty front, I think you are right with Atari messing Nintendo about. According to the David Sheff book, Nintendo were after their distribution chain as well as the name. But Atari were arrogant and really rubbed them up the wrong way. Painful to read. I was a real Atari fanboy around the time. I seriously considered the Jaguar for the longest time but the library was more or less DoA.
  • If Sony hadn't been a thing and the market had remained Nintendo vs Sega, would the Xbox even be a thing?

I like to think that Atari would still be in the game if they hadn't messed up with the lack of availability of Jaguars at launch.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Possibly ,though piracy didn't harm the PS1. The PS1 was the console of choice for Pikeys. Re DVD, I suppose Sega didn't want to pay licences to Sony for DVD but it was a wrong move.

I think Sony would have something to say about the effects of illicit copying on PS1! ;) 

The Dreamcast disc format is a great example of hindsight being 20/20; as you say, Sega didn't want to give any money to Sony, whose PS1 had stomped the Saturn. Sega thought they could kill two birds with one stone by developing their own format, not realising that one of their aims (reduced copy-ability) would later prove to be false.
    If Sony hadn't been a thing and the market had remained Nintendo vs Sega, would the Xbox even be a thing? I like to think that Atari would still be in the game if they hadn't messed up with the lack of availability of Jaguars at launch.

The Xbox is an interesting "What If?". Like Sony working with Nintendo, Microsoft wanted to get in on the console market without having to do all the leg work of making their own machine. Hence the Dreamcast running Windows CE. You can see the legacy of the Dreamcast's DNA in the original Xbox: the controller of the latter is definitely inspired by the former. It even has two memory card slots in it; the only thing missing is a hole in the pad for a screen to show through.

I don't think that having a lot of Jaguars available early on in the machine's life would have saved it. Despite being 64-bit, it wasn't that much of an upgrade over the 16-bit machines available at the time, which were by that point much cheaper and with vast game libraries, and it paled in comparison to the 32-bit machines that were on the horizon for comparable money. To save the Jaguar, a whole shit ton of different decisions would have had to been made.
  • The Xbox came about for the sole reason that Microsoft were terrified of Sony being the only brand in the living room. If Sony controlled America’s living rooms, then the PC (and Windows) could one day be relegated back to offices and workplaces and Gates’s dream of ‘a PC in every home’ could die.
  • Maybe that’s an interesting ‘what if’ in itself: What if the Xbox project wasn’t approved back then? What if Sony did use the PlayStation as the hub of connected home entertainment - console, TV and hi-fi all hooked up to broadband. Would they have dominated gaming completely?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MS lost a fucktonne of money on Xbox that had to be written off. Can't remember the figure but it was billions and the entire venture may not have even been in the black until late in the 360's life if it hadn't been written off. It is possible that management could have knocked it on the head in the early days if they decided the domestic market wasn't worth it. Windows and Office income made xbox losses viable. But I guess they wanted that home market. If cloud computing could have been forseen they may well have not bothered though.

They could still knock it on the head if gaming doesn't wash its face. The money Azure is making with businesses must be astronomical. But....they learned a lot from delivering XBL. So the adventure was worth it and gaming only has to break even for MS.

If Sony and Nintendo could have worked well together I think they would have been too powerful with that mix of brand and content. They would have bled MS until they gave up and retreated to PC but they couldn't and didn't.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I think Microsoft is raking in the cash from the Xbox division these days. But yeah, I remember reading it took ages for it to make a profit. So much so that people within Microsoft were trying to kill off the Xbox project before it had even launched, and I think Ballmer was getting huge pressure from shareholders to cancel it, even when the 360 was ruling the roost.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    What if Sony did use the PlayStation as the hub of connected home entertainment - console, TV and hi-fi all hooked up to broadband. Would they have dominated gaming completely?

My gut feeling... no. Consoles that have tried to be the centre of your entertainment hub have generally not fared very well. See: 360 vs PS3.
  • It’s interesting how many brands have aimed at that ‘one box under the TV to rule them all’ model over the years, when in the end the TV itself has swallowed the role up. You’d think we would all have seen that coming a mile off.

Consoles are the only secondary input left and I wonder how long they can last with cloud gaming on the horizon. It can’t be long until Xbox becomes an app on your smart TV.
  • poprock wrote:
    It’s interesting how many brands have aimed at that ‘one box under the TV to rule them all’ model over the years, when in the end the TV itself has swallowed the role up. You’d think we would all have seen that coming a mile off. Consoles are the only secondary input left and I wonder how long they can last with cloud gaming on the horizon. It can’t be long until Xbox becomes an app on your smart TV.

Sky/Virgin are still going strong, and there's a surprising market for Freeview/Freesat recorders still around. 

The decline of physical media is the major difference these days. DVD's have been superseded by Netflix and CD's by Spotify, so it's a lot easier for a TV itself to be the hub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The tv is the most likely thing to replace consoles. I always thought Sony would make a play with PS built in.

There was a TV with PS2 built in but it was late in its life and wasn't pushed.
  • Sky now sell TVs with Sky streaming built in. And they offer NowTV as an app for everyone else’s.
  • Okay - so my knowledge of console controlers is patchy, but what if the N64 analogue stick hadn't existed, and therefore the PS1 controller had remained face-buttons only? Would mice have been more widely adopted for consoles?

Or was the development of analogue sticks for consoles inevitable given the rise of 3D games at this time?

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I cant imagine it not happening.

That first ps1 pad was atrocious though. Another reason I passed and waited for all 3 consoles to show.
  • What if EA didn't get exclusivity to all the sports games? Surely all related sports games would be in a much better state than they are now?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Would have been someonelse likely treating them like dirt.
    NBA2k is worse than FIFA isnt it?
  • What if no one had an exclusive deal and any dev could use the license. Kind of like you can have forza and gran turismo have car licenses
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Or was the development of analogue sticks for consoles inevitable given the rise of 3D games at this time?

I reckon. My memory is as hazy as yours, but I think analogue had been tried before. Nintendo just made the first mass-market/affordable incarnation. Even if it hadn't, someone would have realised that a d-pad for something like Mario 64 was an abysmal gameplay experience, and that something else was needed. Even without 3D, I think it would have happened eventually: when you're driving in real life, a steering wheel has more options than "full left or full right".

Nintendo's pad may have forced Sony's hand, but I think it would have happened at some point. But it's an interesting question to ask. How different would controllers have looked if Nintendo didn't bundle the N64 with an analogue pad? Just as the N64 pad prompted the DualShock, it arguably made Sega create the 3D Pad for the Saturn. The latter is clearly the inspiration for the Dreamcast controller, and that definitely was the basis for the Xbox controller.
  • How about the D-Pad?

Without the Game & Watch/NES pad would everyone have stuck with arcade style control sticks?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    There’s a good question.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember thinking the NES pad was a really weird way to play games after using a joystick on the 2600 and my Amstrad 464.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I wonder how much stuff, especially in gaming, is the way it is because that's just how it is, rather than it actually being the best way of doing something.
  • Okay - so my knowledge of console controlers is patchy, but what if the N64 analogue stick hadn't existed, and therefore the PS1 controller had remained face-buttons only? Would mice have been more widely adopted for consoles?

Sega made the first analogue stick I think and it was for a (I think) basically 2d polygon game (Nights)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Is that the 3D pad? I didn't realise it pre-dated the N64 controller.
  • Ah only by a few weeks in the Europe and US. The n64 was out earlier in Japan.

So analogue was sega first in US and Europe but N64 Japan launch trumps all the dates.
  • If Nintendo didn't release the wii and instead followed the route of Sony and Microsoft and just made a more powerful Gamecube 2 do they end up as a third party publisher?

And following that if the Wii doesn't happen and therefore Kinnect likely never gets made for 360, does the Xbox 720 have a much better chance against the PS4?
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nintendo not releasing wii is kind of saying what if Nintendo stopped being Nintendo....
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!