The greatest change of all time
‹ Previous123
  • What do you think has been the greatest change of all time within the history of gaming? 

There's no right or wrong here and there's a level of ambiguity with the word "greatest" on purpose. 

From my perspective i'd say the change from 2d to 3d graphics or the invention of the joystick
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yennifer’s titties.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can think of nothing. The initial idea of interacting with a screen via some device - that feeling of feedback hasn't been superseded.

Graphical improvements have given a short buzz from time to time - and have enabled new genres - but it hasn't changed the feeling of a well crafted video game.

Tech advancing to the point where it could create a recognisable representation of a "real" world (PS1) bringing in the mainstream gamer is probably the greatest change - though it hasn't raised an eyebrow by more than 1mm with me. I don't want games to look real - makes it feel like work.

If VR without headset and associated gizmos could create new immersive, social interactive pastimes then that would be the true next step.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • pretty sure it'll be something I did on gears of war multiplayer.
  • Yennifer’s titties.

“Marika’s tits!”

My fave line from ER so far.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    2D to 3D is a good shout.

Proper VR is another.

Online gaming was a big change in how we play too.

What's the next step? Proper AI?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The switch from the primacy of the arcade to home gaming, allowing games to become longer, deeper and more meaningful experiences than the arcade format allowed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Arcade to home is a good shout but it only moved the same feedback buzz to a different location.

It did make videogames become a viable pastime though. So it is significant.
  • As an industry.
    iPhone and mobile gaming in general, with all that comes with it like gouging monetisation, manipulation, huge market reach outside of males of a certain age.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll go mobile gaming and microtransactions too.
  • All personal choices and I'd not even say correct but I would go with the following within my gaming lifetime

- The C64 - it was the first computer I had that played games and was mine. So obviously the spark to everything that follows

- The Mouse - The Amiga and its Mouse controller brought with it a whole new way to interact and also created whole new game styles. I guess its an age thing but I still find the mouse the most comfortable way for me to interact with my PC.

- Having a Job - Having my own disposable income really changed my approach to games. My Sega Saturn was a much loved machine in part because I could afford to build a fairly large collection for the first time.

- PS2 and Real Mainstream gaming - While the console world was always growing, I really felt it was the PS2 were it became the real mainstream for me. Lots of friends had a ps2 at the time and games  were as much a part of going out as anything. Maybe some games of PES before hitting the pub or back to a flat for drunken rounds of Tekken. I think PSone really kicked the door in but it was the PS2 that everyone seemed to have. Stories of GTA3 and what you could do were everywhere.

- XBox 360 and going online - I was never a major PC player and online had felt very niche until I got a 360. It wasnt just the 360 - decent broadband was no affordable and easy to get in Dublin. Console games were also really being built around them. The introduction of an online store to both the PS3 and 360 experience is also (outside of airplane tickets) my first real instance of buying stuff online. 

- Edges decline - going to end on this one and I should say - its not the mag, its me. Up until the Xbox one/ps4 era, I bought and read Edge monthly and was fully in the know on the game scene. But a range of things happened that have pushed me out of being a keen videogame player to one who enjoys it as a hobby but could take or leave it. Edge often covered content that I felt had no connection to what I wanted from the hobby. The writing didnt engage and many of the things focused on left me cold. Things move on I guess. The rise of online multiplayer also played its part I think - I simply couldnt keep up. I've gone from someone who played MW3 religiously to someone who hasnt played a COD in over a decade. Every now and again I try to get back in - read a few issues of edge only to be bored and get the latest hit only to be left cold even from the presentation screens. 

I still enjoy videogames but its a whole different hobby now.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I feel like an argument against the 2D to 3D transition is it cut the legs out from 2D graphics and gameplay just as it was getting good, to replace it with 3D graphics and gameplay that with hindsight we now generally consider to be of completely unacceptable quality. Compared to other changes that were immediately and straightforwardly additive.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Digital distribution. 

I know some of you collector geeks are still clinging on but you're all a dead end species. People don't really care about playing 5 generation old games in mass numbers. I guarantee Sony are only doing the PS1/2/3/4 stuff for parity with Xbox BC PR machine. The numbers probably don't make financial sense.

And physical discs only contain half the game now anyway.
  • Lulu's titties.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I feel like an argument against the 2D to 3D transition is it cut the legs out from 2D graphics and gameplay just as it was getting good, to replace it with 3D graphics and gameplay that with hindsight we now generally consider to be of completely unacceptable quality. Compared to other changes that were immediately and straightforwardly additive.

This. 3D is a crashing bore. I never got the obsession with it. I remember the really early video games - Night Driver (which was actually rather good) and Tailgunner.  Battlezone was a novelty. The sprite scaler games like Space Harrier were OK but didn't hold my interest.

I remember those awful looking early PC shambolic attempts at it with shuffling ugly polygons. The only good experiences I have had with it is with driving games.
  • Unity game engine is a pretty big one.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Lulu's titties.

A fellow man of culture.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My own list:

Pong TV game
    Space Invaders , Phoenix and Atari games in the arcade
    Atari 2600

it's been refinement ever since. The feeling hasn't changed.
  • I'm going SM64 and that stick on the controller combined.
  • Digital tits so far have more votes than any other thing. Gaming forum confirmed.
  • Was those or Zenos’ thick butt cheeks, but I don’t think enough people here have played FFXIV to know how much of a fine specimen of a man he is. Could have gone for Geralt’s well defined rear territory, I suppose, but it would have felt like a cop out.
  • Digital tits so far have more votes
    That is no way to talk about Tempy and Cinty
  • Had to look up Zenos. He looks like a cheap Sephiroth.

How dare you!
  • Solid Snake's perfect buttocks.
  • The sudden jump from 1-4 players to up to 6 billion was a giant leap for consoles.

How dare you!

Not refuting it though, are ye?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Solid Snake's perfect buttocks.

This is also a good shout. Though I prefer Big Boss’ Big Butt just for that extra Fur Daddy energy.

How dare you!

Not refuting it though, are ye?

They’re vastly different people. Sepiroth has mummy issues, but Zenos has daddy issues. Also Zenos has a better butt and combat makes him horny. He’s basically perfect.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That Conan survival thing has adjustable and extremely floppy tiddlers if you fancy checking those out, Hands. You'd think they'd stop being funny after a while, especially as I have one of my own, but every time I see one swaying in the breeze it raises a smile
  • Me being able to buy my own games.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!