How bored are you of games?
  • Kow wrote:
    Games are like drugs, always trying to find that first experience again.

I think my problem is that games aren’t enough like drugs, and that addiction issues have numbed me to other forms of pleasure. I do sometimes find myself wondering when the high or kick will arrive but it never does. I need to lower my expectations and just see games as a way to pass the time. Maybe having fun is too much to expect. Maybe fun doesn’t even exist to me anymore.

Maybe that’s a bit harsh. There are games I have enjoyed in the last months. Elden Ring, Super Meat Boy, my return to Geometry Wars, but experiences like this have a purity to them and don’t seem to be the norm. As soon as a game tries to make the story or narrative a noticeable component I seem to lose interest. Disco Elysium excepted, games just don’t do it well enough.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Have you tried Rocket League? You want a game with purity, that’s definitely one.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Have you tried Rocket League? You want a game with purity, that’s definitely one.

Best football game too.
  • No I haven't, but good shout. I will give it a go.
  • Never just about the games themselves anyway. You could discover some itch.io gem but if there's no chatter about it already to involve oneself in, it's hard to stick.
  • Do you play with a head set noxy? There's nothing quite like turning all the lights off, putting your headset on and going for an adventure with pals on Sea of Thieves or Deep Rock Galactic. They offer a real treat in co-op but its their atmosphere that really drags you in. Completely different from any thing else I'd played.
  • Probably a lot of Nintendo games at this point.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is this just getting older, or are games not actually as good as we thought they were?

Without multiplayer I'd seldom play anything, but the Internet's actually the reason for that lopsidedness, in the same way it's put me off films and most TV. Back in the '90s I'd watch stuff like Men Behaving Badly, realising it wasn't up to snuff, but after dark it was pretty much that or a PS1 game I'd hammered.

If you'd asked me what I'd most like to be doing at the time, I'd have had several non-TV, non-PS1 answers, but all beyond reach. So when the Internet came along (full-fat version, at least), it opened some of those channels that were previously denied.

So many niche activities have info and products available online now, when in my teenage years they were mostly things you'd heard about once or twice but had no clue about getting into. If you enjoyed painting, for example, Bob Ross was one of the few go-tos for [Sky] free tuition for years.

In my youth I spent most daylight hours outside, as per in Bumpkinland, falling on games in bad weather and evenings. The Christmas holidays were great, naturally. Then I became an adult and a lot of that play was suddenly — because society decides — too young for me. Whereas now, a bit later in life, I can go online and find the grownup versions.

The downside is that a lot of these activities feel compartmentalised now, because obviously they're not socially organic any more, born of boredom with your mates. Also, even with the Internet, it's still almost impossible to find venues for stuff like stunt riding. In the '90s you either knew of a good illicit place or just dreamed. As we've dived too deeply into the online world and lost parts of our old selves in doing so, it's not quite deep enough because it still belongs to the outside world.

But that's social prejudice talk, and there's no doubting it's been a boon for hobbyists of formerly peculiar persuasions. Kinda wish it had never been invented, mind, such is the timesink it's been in my life. For all its offerings of potential betterment I'm pretty sure I'd have got more done the old-school way.

Anyway, I also think games lack the creative vision they had in the '90s. I always used to say to a mate at the time: if a game we dream about doesn't exist, it'll come in time. I had total creative faith in devs, just waiting on the tech. Today I feel that's reversed, and we've amazing machines with stale gameplay. Games are just too big, aren't they. I'd love to see the major, massive-team players working on middleware in future (so more UEs, I guess), with smaller teams making the games again.

Even so, online noise dictates direction, always hedging on proven-sales formulas. I think the '90s were the last time creative authority meshed with the fattest budgets. As much as I don't care for Death Stranding (the fuck?!), I wish it weren't such an uncommon endeavour. You don't have to like Kojima games to crave the big money paying his fellow creatives similar respect.

Artistic mediums chasing profit is doomed to disappointing compromise.
  • 90% of the game playing I do now is while listening/watching something on the second monitor at the same time. Chill simulator type games are the best for this. Occasionally something like Death Stranding or Subnautica will come along and I'll be 100% absorbed into that for a while.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'm playing two mainstream online RPGs

Vic.gif

If I could change one thing about the industry, though, it'd be removal of motion blur from modern displays. 1440p with DLSS at strobed 90 or 120Hz on microLED.

The PS5 and SX have the power to do it, as do modern TVs with compatible firmware. Right now the only option is a PC with a much smaller monitor, or a projector with a bit more input lag and convenience drawbacks.
  • I've had a couple of periods of 3-4 years when I've played almost nothing. Then I get the bug again, it ramps back up and I'm on them everyday. The big issue is time though, not interest. I'm usually working in the night as well at the moment. And when I'm not, I feel like I should be, which makes it hard to relax and enjoy other stuff. Hopefully, that'll be at an end soon and I can get back to a normal working pattern. I've been saying that for a while though.
  • I'd really like the market to move in a way that stops conflating bloat with value. TV is the same. I'd pay more for a streamlined version.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Offputting, if anything. Forza Horizon 5 feels like a wrong turn into a kids' disco at a social club.

experiences like this have a purity to them and don’t seem to be the norm.

Pressing buttons to beat up another player's fightman never lose its human-based fizz. Fizz.

But I feel they've gone backwards designwise, resisting teambased play when it's never been more popular, and focusing on the playhards who've always been the worst of the genre.

There's less style and excitement in them now, with more shitty comeback mechanics that fail scrutiny re: fairness.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Like TV the vast scope of content is probably what breeds apathy a lot of the time. GamePass is a tricky one. I can’t deny the value but also appreciate I’m not getting enough value from it. I’m holding onto it for all the FP releases as I may as well pay around £100 and get hopefully two major releases a year. Or do I just cancel and buy the Bethesda stuff when it comes out. I have certainly played my PS5 games more probably because I’ve had to spend about £60+ for each game. The indie stuff that comes with GP is certainly a draw but Steam sales could equally provide a similar benefit.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Value talk's an alien language for those of us who only buy a few games per gen.

The two seem linked for me, with my declining interest tied to this pile-'em-high pivot.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    During lockdown I had it. I just wanted to get outside however I could. Now I have the toddler I will hoover up anything I can, and as mentioned by Yoss, Gamepass is really making me go.
  • Games are still great. Dunno how i'd ever get bored of them in totality. I play them less and less, but every once in a while you get something that's like searing white light from the heavens like Slay the Spire or Sekiro. That's more than enough for me.
  • I watched all of Men Behaving Badly back in lockdown 1 and loved it, still holds up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Games are still great. Dunno how i'd ever get bored of them in totality. I play them less and less, but every once in a while you get something that's like searing white light from the heavens like Slay the Spire or Sekiro. That's more than enough for me.

For a minute I thought you said Spiro and believed it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Games are still great. Dunno how i'd ever get bored of them in totality. I play them less and less, but every once in a while you get something that's like searing white light from the heavens like Slay the Spire or Sekiro. That's more than enough for me.

For a minute I thought you said Spiro and believed it.
  • I don't play many games at all these days, some sts, some Indies, occasional mosey. I just see this as a natural lull as I used to play constantly, but about 5 years ago I stopped, due partly to living arrangements. I've definitely started playing more in the last couple of years. I expect I'll have this period of non playing, period of playing for the rest of my days. I also think I'll find games an attractive option when/if I have a family. Atm tho, I kinda just want to veg and watch stuff after work, no energy or desire to sweat it in PvP.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When a shmup gets its claws into me I will play it for months. I usually play 40mins to an hour a day but it's rarely 7 days a week. The odd session will go into overtime if I'm feeling good. But even then it wouldn't be > 2hrs.  Regular play is important if you are trying to beat the game properly without using continues.

This last couple of years I've had a shmup on the go much the way I'd have a book on the go. It's part of my day.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:

Literally never been in better shape
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I watched all of Men Behaving Badly back in lockdown 1 and loved it, still holds up.

Salvaged by Clunes.
  • Not actually bored of games but overloaded by my backlog of unplayed titles. I 'll finish up to 5 games a year and buy about the same on a sale and that's not mentioning Epic store freebies.

I'll probably never finish my backlog, too spoilt for choice here. Doubt Xbox live can add anything of substance for me but who knows what the future brings.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Im not bored of games as such, but my tolerance for difficulty etc has dipped considerably. I don't have the capacity to play for hours at a time. Sometimes I don't play in a week at all, other times I get about 8 hours a week. 
    My Series S is virtually unused at this point.

A good example is Thimbleweed Park. I LOVE Monkey Island style point n clicks and this is a Ron Gilbert game. The art style is great, great music and voicework, right up my alley. Or so I thought. Got to a point early on where I needed to look up a tutorial and I just bailed. Same with Deserts of Kharak, was really enjoying, then had a bug that sort of wiped my progress by a few levels, I jumped ship.
    Time is also the reason why Im only on level 2 of Sifu still.
    No Mans Sky is a real sticking point though for me. I really want to enjoy it, but I don't have the patience to grind all that shit. Its just a game based totally on busywork, but I really want to play it for the exploration side.
    Then again Im in the final stages of Subnautica, I guess that was different because there was an endpoint and its really story driven.
    Lately Im enjoying games I can dip in and out of. Im currently attempting to play a million titles on ps5, Tsushima, Forbidden West, Sifu, Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank, Subnautica,Mass Effect Trilogy, GTA 5, Cyberpunk...the list goes on.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • No Mans Sky is a real sticking point though for me. I really want to enjoy it, but I don't have the patience to grind all that shit. Its just a game based totally on busywork, but I really want to play it for the exploration side.

No Man's Sky has a creative mode where all blueprints and construction stuff (with few exceptions) are unlocked and you can instantly recharge stuff without gathering. You can just explore and build as much as you want, afaik.
  • No Mans Sky is a real sticking point though for me. I really want to enjoy it, but I don't have the patience to grind all that shit. Its just a game based totally on busywork, but I really want to play it for the exploration side.
    No Man's Sky has a creative mode where all blueprints and construction stuff (with few exceptions) are unlocked and you can instantly recharge stuff without gathering. You can just explore and build as much as you want, afaik.
    Ahhh nice! Good to know cheers!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Just reminding myself about a Google Earth driving sim, there are still lots of games I'd love to play that don't exist.

Still waiting for a teambased fightman.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!