How bored are you of games?
  • I haven’t felt the urge to play anything since finishing Elden Ring on my Xbox. 

Hmmmm.

Maybe I’m bored of games. 

Naaaaah. 

I’m going to start a PS5 playthrough.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm bored of most 'AAA' games.  The sort that (used to) generate the biggest buzz at E3, or maybe kick off the best arguments online if they're exclusive to a particular console.  There are exceptions that I've hugely enjoyed, but I'm mostly bored of the big hitters.  

I thought I'd be well up for Halo: Infinite and the lack of co-op wouldn't bother me, but I played it for less than an hour.  FH5 lasted four before I was fed up with it.  I bought Lost Judgement on PS5, which maybe isn't your standard AAA type but I'm struggling to motivate myself to go back that one too.  See also: Fenyx Rising, Gears of War 5. The weird thing is I quite enjoyed what I played of all of these games, they just don't seem to generate the sort of addiction I'm used to with smaller games and they all drag on for so long.  

I thought Miles Morales would be a good fit for me as it's quite short yet all shiny and big budgety at the same time, but I wasn't particularly into that either.  I'll play God of War and Breath of the Wild 2, but I can't think of anything else I'm looking forward to where the credits roll's likely to last longer than a minute.

Edit: I got through RDR2 but at the expense of loving the game (was a sulky [7] for me). Maybe the effort ruined me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think a lot of us play (or semi-play) out of habit more than anything else. The odd game sparks my interest but luckily I've managed to reign in the compulsive purchasing of times gone by. I'd say about 2 games a year grab me so that's enough to continue being a 'gamer'. 107 hours into Elden Ring so there's still something there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The whole mainstream AAA scene left me cold many, many years ago.  One of the reasons I cancelled my sub to Edge. Moving about in a 3D environment, no matter how beautifully realised, following a narrative, no matter how well scripted, does nothing for me. And it never did. I never got the obsession with the recreation of realistic looking places in a video game.

I'm enjoying Mario Odyssey but I haven't gone near it in weeks. It's pick up and play so I don't really have to remember what I'm supposed to be doing when I do go back to it. That is as close to a mainstream game as I ever get now.  Never say never - but I'm fairly certain the Switch will be the last console I ever buy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I never got the obsession with the recreation of realistic looking places in a video game.

Same, but unreal worlds work for me. That’s part of the reason I still love Halo, I just love these vast, sci-fi environments they build. Doom Eternal has been good for that too, as it happens.
  • I tend to skip cut scenes in maybe half the big games I play, so it's probably disingenuous for me to say 'the storyline in Zelda/Halo is nonsense', but if I don't skip I glaze over and risk losing interest sooner.  They're just ad breaks that get in the way of the main event. 

Having said that the main reason I loved The Last of Us II so much was due to the visuals and cut scenes/dialogue exchanges.  The gameplay was fine but I could take it or leave it tbh; it wouldn't hold my interest for a straight action game.  Uncharted works like this too, the Indiana Jones stuff is fun.  So Naughty Dog are the exception for me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I never got the obsession with the recreation of realistic looking places in a video game.
    Same, but unreal worlds work for me. That’s part of the reason I still love Halo, I just love these vast, sci-fi environments they build. Doom Eternal has been good for that too, as it happens.

Building impossible environments is part of the charm of videogames so I get that.  I'm very much a linear person and the bigger and free-er the environment is , the less I like it.

I'm just not interested in stories in videogames I suppose.  I can see why lots of people like that though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The vastness doesn’t have to be through creating open worlds, just creating environments with a massive sense of scale, something which can be done in a linear game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No doubt. If a level is small and focussed then I'm happy. What I don't like is the padding - wandering around and sent pillar to post to get a maguffin in order to progress.

There may well be tighter focussed games I'd like out there but I've given up on the whole scene to be honest. I play smaller games now. shmups, puzzlers and arcade racers. Not much time for anything else.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Share many of the sentiments already spoken. At the moment I am playing nothing, just watching some shows in the evenings. I'm surprised Elden Ring hasn't grabbed me, however I guess that's just part of where I am now with the medium - which is generally fatigued.

One or two good games a year is enough for me now, I don't really need to always have something to play.
  • I find much of the big name games just too big and bloated as packages to fully enjoy. Halo 5 was great fun but definite padded out. Same with Gears. Batman Arkham Knight. Many more I cant think of at the moment. Even some of the indie games make this mistake - I dont need hundreds of the same thing, just give me a good portion that is refined and perfected as much as possible. 

Still enjoy games but I dont have huge amounts of time anymore to play them so I need them to be concise. SF4 Ultra - perfect, play through as a character in about 15 minutes. Quick Resume has helped but there is still way too much padding.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Nintard in me agrees with that sentiment. Nintendo often leave people wanting more. But maybe that's the way it should be.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    A lot of new multiplayer games ask too much of us duffers, aimed squarely at those who can enjoy poring over their stats and strats for months into years.

I was still in my 20s when I got into online gaming, playing most of the PS3 stuff Rock hosted, but they were much simpler games. Tekken 7 has way more systems and interactions to learn than the version I started with, and for all of that I find it less rewarding.

Games that are arcane from the outset lead to a small group of elites, and in the case of fightmen, that tends to leave them starved of support as everyone tires of waiting in lobbies. Much as I moaned about Street Fighter IV, it nailed this.

Same with Uncharted 2, which even in its day felt like a PC throwback to unadorned teambased modes. Twice updated with increased complexity, a smaller playerbase each time.

So I only play familiar series now, recognising certain improvements here and there with other genres, but not considering the payoffs of learning their bloat worth their mastery commitments any more.

Almost everything seems engineered for longhaul streaming, stretched beyond intrinsic entertainment mileage. A couple of gens ago we'd get through a variety in that timeframe. I feel like satisfying gamehopping'd take every hour, far removed from the PS1 days of slinging a few golds over a weekend.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Having said that the main reason I loved The Last of Us II so much was due to the visuals and cut scenes/dialogue exchanges.  The gameplay was fine but I could take it or leave it tbh; it wouldn't hold my interest for a straight action game.

Is why I wouldn't play it for nowt. It's a ramrod storyline with no respect for what you might've hoped to achieve through interaction in the original. ‘Pacifist, were ya? Yeah, well not on my watch, buddy!’

A glaring example of games-can-do-what-noninteractives-can't being noninteractive with gametier writing still.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Games with large enough populations are fine for MP even if you aren’t as leet as you once were. There’s an entire suite of Rocket League skills I’ve never mastered, anything aerial is completely out of my skill zone, but that doesn’t matter at all, I’m rarely matched with people who do have those skills (or are good enough at them to make a difference to the match), and have plenty of great games with people more at my level.

Constantly getting stomped is more of a sign of an unhealthy population on a particular game rather than the general state of things online.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    But that's exactly what I mean: you can get a feel for Rocket League in an evening because it has a learner layer.

Tekken 7's less stratified to invite new players, making it a higher first jump at the same time as lowering the ceiling for pros. The worst part is new players losing to systems added to help them in ways they can't understand and thus learn from.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, okay, I missed your point.
  • TLou2 is a much about what you don't want as what you want, and it's better for it. Calling the writing 'gametier' is pretty generous to most other games. I mainly play games for the interactive elements but I'd probably replay TLou2 just to ride the ramrod again.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    TLoU2 is a great story made better by the quality of the animation and virtual acting. Really a step apart from most games.

Death Stranding has similar quality of animation but the story and chat is just mad bollocks so it doesn’t count. But it is a better game overall due to its systems being satisfying to just play.

I think if I play TLoU2 again I’d just stick it on easy and switch on auto-hoover-up-stuff mode.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Gametier writing's improved to match a lot of TV, so that's not a dig in isolation, but you can't say it benefits from belonging to a game when it's immutable. Not for me, Clive. Though I suppose you can feel like you're injecting your presence into it through play.

The better gamewriting becomes, the more we'll notice and potentially question our lack of agency in one of its best platforms. Obviously I'm already there.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d assume the agency is tied to cost and tech not necessarily ability from the devs. Shinies have to come first to sell units and splash over ads. That costs more as the tech advances and systems like UE5, purporting to reduce asset creation and dev time overall, should hopefully allow devs to focus more on the choices. With the new facial tech in the new Horizon game being a great example. If you can combine that procedural tech with multi threaded scripts you will be able to have both.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m very much unconvinced that great storytelling and branching narratives can happily coexist. Perhaps I’ll be proven wrong.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I think we'll arrive there with big games when they offer a few wholly different endings, rather than just x-character-dies-if scenarios.

My main quibble with The Last of Us was...

Spoiler:

So my prequel-respecting II playthrough would've been forced into branching from the off, given my desired approach, which is obviously the main hurdle. Much easier to have several endings when you've no future commitments, not having to crossroads back to a central thread each time.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m very much unconvinced that great storytelling and branching narratives can happily coexist. Perhaps I’ll be proven wrong.

Divinity Original Sin 2, Alpha Protocol, Emily is Away 3 and a whole bunch others all say hello.
  • Or hell, Stanley Parable, I guess. Although you have to pay A Lot of Money (£18!!!!) for all those branches.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not played any of them. First I’ve heard of any of them being considered great writing too, as it happens, but maybe I’ve missed something, can’t say I’ve paid too much attention to any of them.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If we're talking Mass Effect 2, that's the game I've in mind when I talk about paying lip service to agency re: its ending. Our differing relations with its characters are cool, but in the end they're just served one of two cutscenes that have no bearing on the main story.

I did think their approach to hiding this by making it about recruiting for a suicide mission was clever, though.

[edit]

Thing is, most gamers are happy with what's about, so why go chasing someone as demanding as me when I'm such a minority.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    TLoU2 is a great story made better by the quality of the animation and virtual acting. Really a step apart from most games.

Death Stranding has similar quality of animation but the story and chat is just mad bollocks so it doesn’t count. But it is a better game overall due to its systems being satisfying to just play.

I think if I play TLoU2 again I’d just stick it on easy and switch on auto-hoover-up-stuff mode.

Gotta agree with Boris and Moot there.

I'll replay TLOU 2 with unlimited crafting because the game plays so beautifully. The game play is some what overlooked at times because of how stellar all the other elements of the game are.

The story choices are made by the devs and I find the criticism of them amusing especially the whole they killed my favourite character nonsense.
    It isn't a choose your own adventure book.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Not played any of them.

I get that - and I assumed as much when I posted them, as I didn’t think any of them would have fallen on your radar. Point being though that linear storytelling isn’t a prerequisite of good storytelling and when I see this come up I often think it says more about the players than the games.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I just figure that truly great storytelling is really hard to achieve in a linear narrative medium, the vast majority of stories aren’t great. Adding in the complexity of branching paths must make that close to impossible.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I just figure that truly great storytelling is really hard to achieve in a linear narrative medium, the vast majority of stories aren’t great. Adding in the complexity of branching paths must make that close to impossible.

Oh for sure, and there’s more bad “branching narratives” than good ones by far. Fundamentally think you’re probably more likely to get a semi-competent story if it is sth tightly curated and funnelled but I’ve played enough games that buck that trend to know that it’s not just one or two teams getting lucky.

Keep an eye on Obsidian, now that they’re a MS team - whatever they stuck up next on Gamepass after Grounded (presumably their big RPG project) is almost certain to have some decent player choice and great writing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!