Your top 5 Arcade Cabinets of all time.
  • If we are just talking about the best looking cabs then the early cab design were works of art.

Zaccaria

fa993c78ffbf5245bf68a87a8a3f31c7.jpg

Stern:

1db3dbf36db6be5babdfcbd49e19d431.jpg

Atari

d7007dff785cb0deaea956cb3a9df62e.jpg

Midway

Tron-9.jpg

And of course the iconic Taito invaders

Space-Invaders.jpg
    You rang.....
  • davyK wrote:
    Aye...attract screens are a lost art.  And the way Atari built a tutorial into the first couple of levels was very clever.

Gauntlet 2's first level was a work of genius. A short turorial stage that let the player choose between a fixed sequence of 5 levels or drop right into the randomised dungeon.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's no way I wasn't showing this pic, complete with Asteroids cushion I was gifted. :)

astDeluxSmall.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • G-loc (360)
    Outrun
    Virtua Fighter 3
    SSF2t
    Daytona
    HotD2
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • @davyK you show off!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @davyK you show off!

controlPanel.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's an old pic above - before it was moved to the hall. 

I got to pick the t-molding. That's "Discs of Tron Blue" apparantly.

You can see bumps on the control panel where the new vinyl is crinkled but it's in really nice condition apart from that.

I love the Atari cone shaped "volcano" buttons. For 1 player / 2 player game start. A real Atari trademark of that classic era. The leds in them still work.

A deluxe cabinet in visible the rec room set of "The Thing". :)  However the original Asteroids is probably truly iconic - but - Deluxe is a better game.

Asteroids%20-%20left.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lunar Lander with THAT thrust control. :)

40848_8.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Warlords cocktail.

20456181149_cbfbdc4d78_c.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The coins I put into this....

ci-120809223945-960.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    and this....

img_SrrYwZzsBbTTMXS_r.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played the 4 player cocktail occasionally - great for 4.

12007045_1492952267690034_2016180969_n.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Darius sit down version!!  Complete with headphone sockets. The new Darius Chronicles cabinets are fucking amazing looking. Worth checking out.

1280px-DARIUS.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shoot Away - this needs a bigger pic.

1289068176.jpg
  • My list is inevitably dominated by the cabinets we actually had in the local arcade I frequented as a child.  Still, here goes:

Star Wars (sit down cabinet) - Obviously.  I will still immediately run to play this if I see it in an arcade somewhere.

Gauntlet - Hours were spent playing this with my brothers when I was a kid. (They would invariably fight over which character they would be.  I was always Valkyrie, which they didn't want because "she's a girl".)

Robotron: 2084 - The only one on this list my local arcade didn't have.  I became obsessed with it on holiday once (they had a cabinet in the dodgy hostel we were staying in) and like the Star Wars cabinet will always make a bee-line for it if I see it these days.  The original and best. (OK there were other twin stick shooters before it, but this was the first good one...)

Xenophobe -  Slightly obscure, but perfect for 3 brothers who fought a lot. 3 joysticks, and a 3 way horizontal split screen - so we didn't have to stick together if we didn't want to.  (There was also an element of friendly fire with some weapons which added to the potential for us to antagonise each other...)

Out Run - Every bit as obvious choice as Star Wars.  Again my brothers and I would fight over who got to go next, my elder brother insisting that it was indistinguishable from driving a real care.  (Something he'd never actually done at that point.) It was the fantasy as much as the game that sold it to us, I think, as we were all pretty terrible at it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gauntlet is a great shout. Xenophobe is obscure but it reminds me of the ONE time I got to play Xybots with it's twistable joystick. Another later Atari great. Sheesh.

All the Williams cabs are classic - Robotron twin stick setup and Defender's totally demoralising control panel are greats.

Defender has 2 way joystick and separate buttons for thrust and reverse (which actually just makes your ship face the other way).

defender-arcade-cabinet.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    How could I have forgotten Xybots... Best in 2 player as usual.

8d7249aa-602f-45ce-9cb8-cabb9f1458dc.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Space Duel is another Atari great. It's effectively 2 player simultaneous Asteroids with colour (the rocks are replaced with 3D prisms). But you can play in tethered mode for co-op.

It should be a better game than Asteroids and Dx but it just isn't. A great cabinet though.

4052d861cf3eec88da5ec1a79fb94028.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And Propcycle.

I mean, look at this fucking thing...Pilotwings with pedal power. Apparantly there's even a fan to blow in your face.

propcycle.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Manx TT. There used to be queues for this in Portrush amusements during the North-West 200.  All the biker boys loved this.

2399_manx-tt-twin-sthumb@2x.jpg
  • You are dropping some absolute bangers here davyk!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And the hard to find and vastly under-rated Power Drift. Still an old super scalar but completely mental.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    drumbeg wrote:
    You are dropping some absolute bangers here davyk!

Aye. The arcade left its mark on me. I was 14 in 1980 and I've never really got over it. The arcade style is still my preferred type of game.

Looking at these pics I can remember the noise of an arcade - that cacophony of competing machines. Nothing quite like it.
  • Sandwiched between Star Wars and Out Run. Illustrious company.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a SUPER NES Mario Kart feel to it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't influence.  Has a cast of characters and short twisting tracks raced over multiple laps - though Power Drift has hills which defeats old Mode 7. Really fast too.  :)

Just found some nice footage. It got a good Saturn port but it costs a packet.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I remember Power Drift, but never got a chance to play it.

Don't think there was ever an adequate home conversion either.
    Edit- I lie... There was a Saturn conversion apparently. Completely missed that.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Saturn version comes close apparantly.  There's a Dreamcast port too as part of the Suzuka Works compilation but that's probably even more expensive than the saturn port.  :(
  • davyK wrote:
    All the Williams cabs are classic - Robotron twin stick setup and Defender's totally demoralising control panel are greats.

A proper Robotron cabinet is the thing I've been wanting to buy myself for years.  (I'm suitably jealous of your Asteroids cabinet.)

One day...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Robotron was in the mix for my decision. As was Tempest.  I wanted a game that would last - be timeless. Robotron fits the bill all right.

Namco did a 2-in-1 cabinet called Class of '81 with Galaga and Ms.Pacman. That would be a great buy but it's a later cabinet and lookswise it just doesn't have the X factor. Nothing like a classic dedicated cabinet for looks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!