Your top 5 Arcade Cabinets of all time.
  • Great thread. Lots of memories with those cabinets. We used to be able to do late night all you can play lock ins at my local arcade. Only way to finish The Simpsons without it costing you the earth. Finished Time crisis 2 that way as well
  • I remember Power Drift, but never got a chance to play it. Don't think there was ever an adequate home conversion either.

I had the C64 version, which I lost the tape for after a few weeks. It lacked the vibrancy of the arcade version.
  • davyK wrote:
    The coins I put into this....

ci-120809223945-960.jpg

I cant put into the words the nostalgia rush I got when I saw this picture. Loooooved this game.

SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember my brother (2 years younger) shouting DIE DIE while shooting at the last pink bird before getting to the boss.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I used to spend all of my school days in the arcades in killmarnock wich is probably the reason I ended up in children's homes etc.
    I was so addicted to the thrill and excitement of these new unexplored marvels.

Original street fighter was my first wtf is this wow moment that stopped me in my tracks on the way to the old killie swimming baths (only one I knew at the time that had a wave machine and was only 1 quid).
    Never went swimming that day or again for months if at all.
    This massive cabinet sat just inside the 1st set of double doors and led me to see the rest of the cabinets inside including stuff like defender, splatterhouse, etc etc.

This was in an arcade called the cabaret and was like a huge long room with 2 lines of arcade cabs and a separate room for gambling machines.
    It was however mainly a snooker hall at the back thru some other doors.

Across the road further up there was lesuire land wich had all the latest machines as they appeared and were I discovered street fighter 2 and crowds waiting to play with a winner stays on and must have coin on machine to go next unspoken rule that everyone seemd to just know.

Later In lesuire land there was ridge racer, hard driving, race driving, power drift etc etc.
    I was hugely addicted and spent most of my youth trying to get to know the owner and everything I could about games.
    I loved the place.
    Neither of these places exist anymore wich is a bit sad for me as they held so many great memories.

As part of my stag do earlier this year I went to Bury arcade club and was amazed at the amount of machines and stuff I'd played previous and not seen before.
    Ones I remember from the past like ghosts and goblins, shadow dancer, robocop, gauntlet etc etc and stuff like darius in a huge cabinet with a super huge wide screen that almost wraps round you and stuff like bish bashi that was just super fun.

I love games and miss arcades so much.
    Il definitely be going back to Bury soon as I have someone to go with.
  • Enjoyed that nostalgia trip Davey. Good stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pole Position hasn't aged that well but it was another great arcade game. It had a sit down version which was pretty immersive for the time.  There was also a 3 screen behemoth called TX-1 that I only ever saw once. It played like Pole Position but didn't seem as good.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shouting out a real one that didn't get mentioned.

cabinet-mortalkombat_2048x.png
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Specifically MK2. I spent some hours at the Quay in Glasgow trying to wrap my head around how it played different to SF2.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    One more for those rich 90s kids with £1 in their pockets.

220px-Jurassic_Park_Arcade_flyer.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't like versus fighters but they re-invented the arcade and gave it a wonderful Indian Summer.  I think it's a superb genre in 2P but I can't play them for shit. :)

SF2 (CE,T et al) and MK2 were the pinnacle though I'm sure Alpha, 3rd Strike, IV et al are better games but for a more discerning player.

2D shmups had a brief burst when Cave were active but that was always going to be super niche. And they didn't get dedicated cabs either.

I really like the look of the Candy Cabs. If I had a games room I'd probably get one but I doubt I'd get into PCBs or anything - I'd get it hooked up to a MAME PC more likely.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    There was also a 3 screen behemoth called TX-1 that I only ever saw once. It played like Pole Position but didn't seem as good.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    digi wrote:
    I used to spend all of my school days in the arcades in killmarnock wich is probably the reason I ended up in children's homes etc. I was so addicted to the thrill and excitement of these new unexplored marvels.

With a classic mullet, right?

Tim.gif
  • Escape wrote:
    digi wrote:
    I used to spend all of my school days in the arcades in killmarnock wich is probably the reason I ended up in children's homes etc. I was so addicted to the thrill and excitement of these new unexplored marvels.

With a classic mullet, right?

Tim.gif

More like a kid n play era eraser hair affair to be honest.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The Daddy posted F-Zero AX, that's thread over, surely?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Moonwalker
    Roadblasters
    Double dragon
    That horse racing game where you bet 10p and pick one of six horses
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    u2AkWH3.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s top arcade cabinets, not top outfits Davy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

When a new videogame was an event.

:)
  • The-House-of-the-Dead-Arcade-Game.jpg
    Mercury Flux, Preston. 2007-2010. If you showed the bar staff the end credits rolling on this bad boy, you got free shots of Jägermeister. I believe it was a quid a pop, so this probably was a tidy little earner. They didn't reckon on Paul Brophy and I.

I'm not sure if I'd played the first game before this. I know that I'd definitely played 4, because it was the one with the Uzi's. I thought 3 had shotguns, but a quick whirl online suggests a faulty memory there, so I'm probably mixing it up with something else. Regardless, it didn't take long to get to grips with this. We built strategies, created callouts and honed our skills. There are very few games that I'd say I've mastered in my life, but House of the Dead is one of them.

I'm pretty sure this is the only arcade game I've completed in a single credit, and I could do it multiples times in a night. When you get into a flow, it's an almost Zen like experience. If you've ever played a rhythm action game and found yourself hitting all of the buttons without consciously registering them, that's what this was like when we got going.

I'm a long way past my mid 20's now, so I doubt I've got it in me any more. But you know what House of the Dead? We'll always have Flux.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Which House of the Dead had shotguns? That was proper mint.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A really good gun game has a real satisfying rhythm to it as Dante says. It's all in the enemy wave design and no-one does it like Sega.

HOTD Overkill has some really sweet feeling sections once you learn the levels. Building a combo up maxing out the multiplier with the gorgasm flag up is deeply satisfying. As usual with most games I enjoy the levels over the bosses. That's a gaming standard we could do with less of.
  • Gotta have the 4 player Daytona USA cab from thd Tracadero in london
    PSN - minkymu
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

2 on DC had the mode where you picked up different weapons.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Gotta have the 4 player Daytona USA cab from thd Tracadero in london

Daytona could handle up to 8 linked cabinets.  Lovely.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They had that set up in Sega World in Bournemouth. Never bothered playing it myself despite spending large amounts of time in there as a kid while visiting my grandma.
  • House of the Dead 2 was a regular during 6th form. We used to go to the cinema and bowling etc complex in Finchley and they HotD2. Used to get there early and play a bit before the movie.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:

No, I mean, the arcade cab with plastic shotguns.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:
    No, I mean, the arcade cab with plastic shotguns.

Perhaps that's HOTD? :)

My last real cabinet memories are the games room in the Student Union. 

I remember Wardner, Bank Panic, Return of the Invaders, Double Dragon and Sky Kid but there were plenty more in that room that I can't remember now.

But I also remember the early days - rows and rows of Space Invaders. Later on arcades that were organised by genre with all the sit down driving games in one area for example.

The bored girl in the change booth.

The noise of a good arcade. Nothing quite like it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Dead_III

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!