• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Anyone who knocks back Mega Drive for disasterpad Dreamcast is a right old Sonic.

Was tough for me, though not as tough as N64vGC.

I didn't own a MD in the day, and I loved the fact that the DC was more or less a pure arcade machine. So its games really tickled me.  MD has since gone up in my estimations but the DC does it for me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Because it's already a massacre, I counted up the 360/Series +GP and it was 15/3 I believe in favour of the 360. What a console.

Thought you meant og Xbox.
  • Mega drive lol
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The MD / DC one is really close. Currently
    Spoiler:
  • MD because I never owned a DC really. But I played that MD to death till the ps1 and tomb raider 2 Christmas extravaganza.

Edit: Oh and 360, N64 and PS2.
  • Can we do a handhelds version? DS vs 3DS I don’t think I could choose.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Because it's already a massacre, I counted up the 360/Series +GP and it was 15/3 I believe in favour of the 360. What a console.

We’re comparing nine years’-worth of 360 to less than two years’-worth of series consoles, it’d be weird if it wasn’t a massacre, TBH. At an equivalent point in the 360’s lifespan, it hadn’t even had Halo 3 released.
  • OK here's my votes.

Xbox with GamePass

Mega Drive

N64

PS4

Ps5 with ps+extra is true king.
  • People forget that 360 had rrod and Ms denied it for the first 2 years or around that.

On xbox with gamepass are we talking original xbox one or a series model?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    digi wrote:
    People forget that 360 had rrod and Ms denied it for the first 2 years or around that.

I don’t think anyone is forgetting that, it was a beloved console despite that.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    digi wrote:
    People forget that 360 had rrod and Ms denied it for the first 2 years or around that.

I don’t think anyone is forgetting that, it was a beloved console despite that.

Certainly round here, maybe I just don't get it as I had so much shit with mine and ps3 ylod at the time.
    (Couldn't afford to reach both over and over).

It's great so many have fond memories though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm no MS fan and a borderline Nintard but the 360 is likely the best console ever.  It does have a local MP weakness but little else.

I got mine late - the final revision slimline E series which is whisper quiet.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d argue that the 360 pretty much defined the modern console experience that is still in place today with what MS pioneered in online play with voice chat and parties and matchmaking and friend lists, the addition of achievements to games, and the boosting of independent games through their digital storefront. All of these things are now pretty much expected of modern consoles, and MS can claim credit for much of that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, but remember the Series has the backward compatability. So you could feed all those 350 games into that too.

I think the key bit, particularly for this forum, is that 360 was so time and place and there are so many fond memories of things where we all congregated.

Not the Series fault, but most of us are fragmented across games now. 360 was lightning in bottle at the advent of wide high speed Internet.

Put the Series into perspective at this point and there is not the biggest compelling argument, which is why I put GP in to make it fairer.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’d argue that the 360 pretty much defined the modern console experience that is still in place today with what MS pioneered in online play with voice chat and parties and matchmaking and friend lists, the addition of achievements to games, and the boosting of independent games through their digital storefront. All of these things are now pretty much expected of modern consoles, and MS can claim credit for much of that.

This. Possibly best console ever in more than one way.
  • Yossarian wrote:

You say defined but I would say popularised.
    Ps2 had it before 360 on games like Tony hawks 3 and Socom, I remember buying the ethernet adapter with hard drive built in and not getting use of it for ages as it needed a pc to set it up or run it thru or something like that.
    Think I may still have it somewhere.

But yeh you are right.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, but remember the Series has the backward compatability. So you could feed all those 350 games into that too.

I think the key bit, particularly for this forum, is that 360 was so time and place and there are so many fond memories of things where we all congregated.

Not the Series fault, but most of us are fragmented across games now. 360 was lightning in bottle at the advent of wide high speed Internet.

Put the Series into perspective at this point and there is not the biggest compelling argument, which is why I put GP in to make it fairer.

I think this might be underestimating the potential for GP to create new gaming memories over the next few years owing to people having access to the same games. I’ve played far more multiplayer titles with people on the forum in the time since I’ve had GP than in the years before that.

It feels to me that GP is creating its own time and place and that I’m going to end up looking back on this gen with a great fondness because of that, although it’s still too early to say for sure.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    digi wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

You say defined but I would say popularised.
    Ps2 had it before 360 on games like Tony hawks 3 and Socom, I remember buying the ethernet adapter with hard drive built in and not getting use of it for ages as it needed a pc to set it up or run it thru or something like that.
    Think I may still have it somewhere.

But yeh you are right.

Dreamcast had online as well, but it was more than just having a connection to the internet, it was all the things that came along with that to make it more usable.

Although, now I think about it, much of that was in place for Halo 2 on the OG Xbox, so maybe I’m talking rubbish.
  • Paradigm shift, this gen.  Or something.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yeah, but remember the Series has the backward compatability. So you could feed all those 350 games into that too....

Sadly, Cave's games don't work on later consoles in xbox series.

Cave created the best shmups ever.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think this will be the service era, yes, and Microsoft will completely deserve all the credit for pioneering it. However as everyone is in on it a lot quicker than they got to all the stuff that made 360 great, I can't see it being an era that is defined by the Series, unless the XPlay stuff really picks up. If we start seeing phones designed for Gamepass, it might be game over
  • I was actually only thinking last night that I really need to tidy up my gaming space and hook up my JP 360 for the shmup goodness.
  • I think PC is the defining hardware of recent years.
    Its all streamers and Twitch and RGB G Fuel Gamer wipes.
  • PC? I thought that only does email, MS Office and the internet?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I was actually only thinking last night that I really need to tidy up my gaming space and hook up my JP 360 for the shmup goodness.

I have a 2nd 360 , the older slim model, hooked up to a rotated CRT. I had to get an older one so I could use an RGB SCART lead. It's PAL but I have the Cave region free discs. :)   The collector in me would like a JP-360 to pick up their JP only games but there isn't much that can't be got now on other consoles.  That Cave Collection with the superplay DVD set is a Holy Grail thing for me though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I think PC is the defining hardware of recent years. Its all streamers and Twitch and RGB G Fuel Gamer wipes.

Steam has been a revelation to me and a game changer. I never liked PC gaming but Steam just has too much stuff to ignore. Especially for an old 2D lover like me - doesn't even need to be a modern PC.  And it all just works.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    PC? I thought that only does email, MS Office and the internet?

Minesweeper.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

I feel like our PS3 community was even richer, because a lot of us were so enamoured by corralled online play we'd try almost anything on it. Then Street Fighter IV happened and the 360 snagged most of us.

So I always felt the 360 was more of a franchiser, and MS increasingly so with its Halos, Gears and Forzas until Game Pass hit. With that it's brought back some of those early PS3 vibes.
  • Escape wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I feel like our PS3 community was even richer, because a lot of us were so enamoured by corralled online play we'd try almost anything on it. Then Street Fighter IV happened and the 360 snagged most of us.

So I always felt the 360 was more of a franchiser, and MS increasingly so with its Halos, Gears and Forzas until Game Pass hit. With that it's brought back some of those early PS3 vibes.

Ps3 is forgotten on here now, most of the folks have left to pastures new (or just left).
    Warhawk, mag, uncharted 2 and everything fightman was played by loads of us on here and was all excellent and also some of my best mp memories.

With ps+ extra giving us a game catalogue of over 700 games (and more being added every two weeks) I kinda hope we may get a return to those times at some point.
    (Doubtful as it is though).

Also ps3 could play and upscale gradius v.
    So bonus points just for that.
  • Escape wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

It's because there was fuck all with good online multiplayer on PS3 so any game with even basic online functionality drew everyone in.

x

"Even richer" indeed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!