All Internal (yes) console voting war.
  • DVDs were great for quality over VHS but imma full reckon a large part of the popularity was considerably lower prices (plus a  bit storage space saved). Suddenly with offers like Virgin's 5 for £30 or whatever it was people had 100s of DVDs compared to 10 or 20 VHS tapes.

Streaming/digital doubles down on those features in ways Blu Ray cant.

edit: thinking about it 20 VHS tapes sounds like rich kid territory. Not including pirate/recorded of the telly.
  • Aside from the Disney classics I think we only had maybe 5 store bought VHS tapes, whereas I went totally insane with DVD buying for around ten years.  Natwest once rang me up to say they'd blocked my card due to suspicious activity after someone tried to spend £2.99 x 25 on the HMV website.  I had to explain it was payday and there was a massive sale on...

Probably told that loads but my anecdote game is limited.
  • DVDs were amazing for their time. Hit a real sweet spot for most.

Now your lucky to get 1p for most of them on musicmagpie and after postage costs selling on ebay is difficult.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    5 for £30 deals at Virgin Megastore in mid 2000s was reg's catnip.
  • HMV Oxford Street was my second home around that time!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I haven't bought a dvd in my entire life. As far as I can remember I have only bought 2 CDs, too. I don't know where people find the initiative to do such things.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep - DVDs are valueless. My local CEX has shelves of them for sale at £1 each.

BluRay and 4K physical are for those of us with a liking for curating a collection. Physical also has the advantage of being tamper and revision proof. But that's not really a massive issue but could be for some, and who knows what nonsense will be retrospectively applied to content.

What I don't like about digital is that it is transient.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I still recall selling all my VHS tapes when I got into DVD. Went to a car boot and was selling em for about £5 a pop at the time. Ended up hardly selling any then another seller came over and offered me £3 a tape for the box full. At the time I felt ripped off but couldn’t be bothered taking em home. Think I had a good deal looking back.

I don’t recall what happened to all my DVD’s. Think they just went to friends and family.

Have got a handful left mainly comedy stuff like Blackadder etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I still have a pile of them. Thought about selling them en masse to a buyer but it's pennies. On principle I couldn't stomach that. I did sell some that way (inc. special edition of 70s The Wicker Man which was fucking idiotic) but I don't know what to do with them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We purged pretty much 98% of our DVDs and about 50% of our bluray. It is a very rare occurrence where I will buy a blu Ray nowadays but I do like our curated collection.
  • Im all done with discs now.
    Dont even have anything set up that will play them.
    My physical media stops at N64, other than books if books count as physical media.

Edit: And some WIIU stuff in the loft thatll be sold once matured.
  • I'll only buy Criterion and special boxed sets/editions now.  Mostly important/artistic films.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    ...other than books if books count as physical media.

They do, specially in the context of this discussion as I know people who only do digital 'books' now and snort at physical copies.  I still ony buy physical.  Packing a few for my holiday (jetting off on 13th), incluidng Dan Simmons's Hyperion - heard good things about it.
  • I really like the Kindle as a bit of tech and when I commuted in London I used it a lot.
    Now I prefer physical books really. A good amount of mine come from charity shops too. We also still have a book swap thing in the village.
    There is certainly more to a real book over ebook than a DVD over a stream. Closer to vinyl vs mp3 I suppose.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nothing - digital to physical music, digital to physical movies, games etc - come close to the difference between a physical book and a digital one. The experience of creaking open a spine, finding your page, writing notes in the margin, I'll never go digital only on books. Watching the toddler thumb his way through books, pointing at things on pages, it's not even close. My wife uses her kindle, and she's a librarian, but she admits it's from convenience rather than preference. It's not even a discussion with books.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Books are in a different category of physical media to everything else under discussion here as they’re the only physical media to be entirely self-contained. A book can be experienced and enjoyed in itself with no need for any additional hardware in a way that no music or film format can.

Having said that, I do still appreciate my Kindle due to size and the light up screen.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I have some of my favourites as physical books but I inevitably reach for the Kindle for most reading now, obviously out of convenience.
  • Ive made a little reading nook in the corner of my dining room. 
    Armchair, bookcase, lamp, standalone DAB radio. The idea being I can leave my phone in another room and be disconnected from screens and the internet.
    Its great.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Ive made a little reading nook in the corner of my dining room. 
    Armchair, bookcase, lamp, standalone DAB radio. The idea being I can leave my phone in another room and be disconnected from screens and the internet.
    Its great.

We turned one of our bedrooms into a library when we moved into this house. However it now means we have books coming out the fucking walls and is one of the reasons we need to move.

• XBox360 vs Xbox with GamePass - 360

Mega Drive vs Dreamcast - Dreamcast 

N64 vs GameCube - N64

PS2 vs PS4 - Ps2
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    we have books coming out the fucking walls

Does this just mean that you have bookshelves?
  • mk64 wrote:
    XBox360 vs Xbox with GamePass - 360

Mega Drive vs Dreamcast - Dreamcast 

N64 vs GameCube - N64

PS2 vs PS4 - Ps2

What is this? A tier list for ants?
  • I bought about 10-20 dvds a few weeks back.
    After our Internet went down at silly o clock in the morning and we didn't know what to do with ourselves I thought it a good idea as a back up.
    They will just sit there like but if it happens again at least I have stuff to watch I haven't previously seen already.

Also have a few iv kept thru years like ghost in the shell movies and series, akira and ninja scroll.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    we have books coming out the fucking walls

Does this just mean that you have bookshelves?
    No it does not.we have stacks of books hanging off the edges of our bookcases.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took delivery of an armchair yesterday that Wifey has indulged me with. Has an integrated thingy to rest my glass/book on. Very nice.

Just need to get a nice reading light.

Like elf, I collect Criterion BluRays but I'm very selective in that. I also have some BluRays of my real favourites (Kubrick, Lean etc) that I upgraded from DVD. But I don't buy anywhere near what I used to.

Also have a small collection of Folio editions of my favourite books. 

I also have a sizable CD collection but again it tends to be favourites as streaming makes more sense. But I like to curate a collection and make it an indicator of my tastes. I even have a very selective vinyl collection now.

My default is to consume digitally (Kindle,Netflix/Prime/Disney+) and curate physically - but be extremely selective.
    Dreamcast
    N64
    PS2

But I think by the end of this gen the Series X will surpass the 360 for me. I kinda love it.

Also, physical things always. Not surprising given my old job.
  • digi wrote:
    I bought about 10-20 dvds a few weeks back. After our Internet went down at silly o clock in the morning and we didn't know what to do with ourselves I thought it a good idea as a back up. They will just sit there like but if it happens again at least I have stuff to watch I haven't previously seen already. Also have a few iv kept thru years like ghost in the shell movies and series, akira and ninja scroll.

I did something similar when I moved house a few years back and was waiting for internet to be turned on. Then realised the stupid Xbox required a stupid app to be downloaded to play them.
  • MK and Gav, o/
  • I ended up with thousands of DVDs at one point.  I more or less bought anything I could find.  Ended up giving the lot to charity shops.

I still have some Blu Rays but it's mostly stuff that might come and go from streaming.  Anything Disney or Fox is now permanently on Disney+ (as best as I can tell). MGM will be on Amazon Prime.  But there's no guarantee with a lot of other stuff.  Recently bought The Wickerman having never seen it on any streaming service, for example.

I also make sure I have seasonal movies.  Horror for Halloween and Christmas movies, since it seems the streaming services get charged more for them as they tend to disappear right when you're in the mood to watch them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We have a copy of It's A Wonderful Life on Blu Ray for that exact reason.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!