The Bear & Badger Intimidating Book Club: Clarissa by Samuel Richardson, schedule in OP
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Gonna type something out now while I wear this moisturising face mask...

So I liked this, and there are lots of great, memorable bits in it... It definitely has enduring artistic and aesthetic merit. At the same time, it feels quite meandering and doesn't have a strong narrative throughline. The parts of the book about Marmeladov were originally conceived as a separate book and it kind of shows. However, something would be lost if the book was trimmed down to just the central murder plot. So I have quite conflicting feelings.

This felt like the longest not particularly long book I've ever read. I think that's partly because my copy is a relatively large format 500-odd-page deluxe version that is 700-odd-pages in the standard paperback but I think it's also a symptom of the book just generally being quite difficult to read, not very flow-y on a sentence to sentence level and also, as I mentioned above, not always having a strong narrative thrust. I've started reading Anna Karenina using two different translations and in both Tolstoy's writing massively flows better than this.

On the one hand, I think this book has endured partly as a kind of literary meme - it's quite dated in terms of writing style, it's clearly rooted in the literary and intellectual environment it was published in, which will mean little to the modern reader. I don't think it's a top-tier bucket list classic. On the other hand... there are some really vivid, top-tier scenes and you get a really clear picture of the deprivation of the Russia of that time. And some of the intellectual/philosophical aspects of it are still kinda interesting today.

So I'd say overall, glad I read it, perhaps not one to put right at the top of the classics bucket-list, not in the A-tier, but like a solid B-tier.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Our real-time read of Clarissa by Samuel Richardson starts Tuesday 10 January! As a reminder from the OP:
    I read an interesting article today that pointed out that Clarissa by Samuel Richardson, one of the longest ever English novels (the Penguin Classics version is 1536 pages) which is made up of a sequence of letters between the characters, can be read in real-time between Tuesday 10 January 2023 and Monday 18 December 2023 with the days of the week matching the original days from 1747, the year the book is set.

If you haven't secured a physical copy, you can get free eBook versions to get you started. Here is a free copy of the first part on the Kindle store: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarissa-Harlowe-history-young-lady-ebook/dp/B0082V0MP2/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=3R2G66AQR32FU&keywords=clarissa+samuel+richardson+kindle&qid=1673201646&sprefix=clarissa+samuel+richardson+kindle,aps,88&sr=8-5

And on Project Gutenberg, which also links through to a web version if you want: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9296

The author revised his books in line with contemporary feedback. There is some debate as to whether the first or final editions are definitive as some believe the revisions are too defensive and damage the character of his works. I think my copy is based on the first edition. People reading the final edition may find some letters have been removed from their edition and additional letters added. I'll try to maintain a letter list in the OP as we go along to avoid confusion.

Feel free to share your thoughts on Crime and Punishment if you have not done so already!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That's really cool that the days of the week match up this year. I'll look into it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Colour me intrigued.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Here's the schedule for January:

Tuesday 10 January - Letter 1
    Friday 13 January - Letter 2
    Saturday 14 January - Letter 3
    Sunday 15 January - Letter 4
    Friday 20 January - Letter 5 and 6

Letter 3 is labelled 13, 14 January, which I think means it was drafted across both days and posted on 14 January so let's read it on the day it went in the post.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Well the first letter is a bit of a tease and then nothing for three days, lol.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    ERE knows how to keep a thread updated.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure I have the patience for that ye-olde-prose.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    This isn't the easiest book to read, is it? I've decided to just plough through and if I miss the occasional bit of meaning then so be it.

The gender related stuff in today's (technically yesterday's since it's now past midnight) letter feel like it's still pretty relevent today.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Assuming that this is genuinely how people wrote to each other back then, this is such a weird form of communication. "You asked me a question, now I'm going to write you multiple letters with the answer, spread out over a week'".
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Got to spread it out over a week. If you write everything in one letter one afternoon, you'll have nothing to do tomorrow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Starting to get into this now, it's like having a gossip with a ye olde friend every few days.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!