THE BIG PS3 THREAD
  • On my first go or first Hard go, I got fucked over in the robodog boss but then did the rest of it on a pixel of health. One of the best fights of my life.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I did the no-damage trophy too and started playing hardest mode, but I was getting slaughtered ( Revengeance mode ?) so I stopped. 

Really wanna play it again.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Buuump cos I've just gone and plugged mine back in

So many decent games on my HD that I've gone nowhere near playing

But fuck me it feels clunky after the PS4, in terms of UI and stuff.   Network config + software update + downloading shit in the store [having upgraded the store app] + the whole download and install process [with probably patching to follow] is just so damn slow and tedious!  We're getting spoiled these days / PS3 was shit [delete as appropriate].
  • I love the PS3, it's probably my favourite home console since the PSone/N64 era.

But yeah, the OS was shit and it's clunky as hell. What's mad to think is that it improved a lot, back in 2006 it was a fucking shambles, they did well to make of it what they did.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Recently brought back my consoles and games to my current house, going to be selling much of it but I think I will be keeping the PS3 as that was always my fave. And it has some things like the HD collections, Okami, and Wipeout that I cant replace with PC versions or emulation yet.

I'll be taking it apart and giving it a good cleanout and replacing the thermal paste soon, hopefully I can get it running a bit quieter. I'd love to be able to make it near silent with some kind of mod or fan replacement, but I suspect that might be a little too tricky. Hopefully with some of this good thermal paste I have it will stay in a low fan speed state more of the time.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is it an older 15-blade fan, or a 19? You can upgrade it if it's an original. MX-4's good, because you don't have to worry about it running. It should take your fan down a step.

The Last of Us is the most intensive game for testing, if you have it.
  • I use mine as a Sky box in the spare room. It still has its uses.
  • Mine is my media player., partly due to the 1.5x option.
  • It's a great media player, PS4 definitely dropped the ball there.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    My 2015 PS4 rapidly became noisy, too.
  • Escape wrote:
    Is it an older 15-blade fan, or a 19? You can upgrade it if it's an original. MX-4's good, because you don't have to worry about it running. It should take your fan down a step. The Last of Us is the most intensive game for testing, if you have it.

It was an 80GB fat model (has a 250GB HDD in there now), not sure what the fan is exactly, I'll be finding out when I get round to taking it apart. I've got some Gelid GC Extreme paste which has been pretty good. I do happen to have TLOU which is handy, thanks for the heads up.

I'd actually love to be able to put a nice PC case fan in there somewhow but it doesn't look like it will be practical or possible - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+3+Fan+Replacement/3489
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That'll have 15 fins, from memory. I don't know how much quieter the 19s are, as the new paste was enough to knock mine down from almost constant take-off. There seem to be four stages: barely audible > clearly audible, but fine > annoying within 3m > Operation Condor wind tunnel.

MX-4 took The Last of Us down from 4 to 3, and less demanding games from 3 to 2. Any non-conductive pea's fine. Less is more when it comes to the amount, as I found out when my first attempt didn't do anything.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Also, careful as you go: as with the PS2, the build quality's terrible in places.
  • Fat ones die at an alarming rate now,
    The Forum Herald™
  • Mine is my media player., partly due to the 1.5x option.

You're not one of those people who watches things at 1.5 speed are you?
  • Escape wrote:
    That'll have 15 fins, from memory. I don't know how much quieter the 19s are, as the new paste was enough to knock mine down from almost constant take-off. There seem to be four stages: barely audible > clearly audible, but fine > annoying within 3m > Operation Condor wind tunnel. MX-4 took The Last of Us down from 4 to 3, and less demanding games from 3 to 2. Any non-conductive pea's fine. Less is more when it comes to the amount, as I found out when my first attempt didn't do anything.

I'd actually love to just wack a nice Noctua fan on it somehow and disconnect the internal fans for a much quieter system, but I thing that would probably involve cutting holes and/or making some kind of shroud to channel the air through effectively. Looking around google images it looks like there's been some absolutely bonkers cooling mods done with the system, custom liquid cooling and the like. Do you know if the PSU in there also has it's own fan? Or does it just some airflow from the main fan? I guess I'll have a look when I take it apart anyway. Might consider adding some dust filter material in there too if it looks like it needs it, though it can become a tradeoff between airflow/dust.
  • Can't find a Resistance thread (Shame on the forum)

So i'll post this here. Completed the first two .. can't really remember the third.. but surely ripe for a PS5 udpate.
    The Forum Herald™
  • You can't remember the best one? Oh Bob.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    First part of a new Digital Foundry series looking at the PS3 games that managed to achieve the 1080p dream:

Think this is a really interesting line of analysis as a lot of these games have never seen further re-releases and still look fine on a 4K display (especially compared to 720p releases) due to the higher resolution.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'd have rather not seen that dude's teeth in 1080p

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!