Deep Rock Galactic + Rogue Core (new rogue-lite spinoff)
‹ Previous12
  • I feel this probably deserves it's own thread, apologies if there already was one.

There's a free weekend on Steam right now if you don't have Gamepass (which has this game atm) and wanted to try it out. I've played this a little bit with another person or two, not done a proper 4 player run though. There's crossplay between Xbox and Xbox app version on PC, so maybe some sessions could be organised at some point if people are up for it.

Here's the RPS review. It can be a lot of fun, my jam is 100% the engineer due to the auto turrets and shotgun.
  • Scout here (with a bit of driller).

The new plague clearing is a tad tedious solo.
  • Its one of the best co-op games I've ever played.
    Great game mechanics, awesome team work, bags of atmosphere and an almost unlimited number of caves to explore. Oh and the network performance is pretty fantastic too. Can't say enough good things about this game.

Everyone should give this a go, its only a 2 gig download or something crazy.

I'm a driller first and foremost but I've got a good scout and engi game in me. Never really tried the gunner.

Rock and Stone brother!
  • Screw point extractions with the extra time required to deal with the plague - just ends up a constant stream of enemies. Going down to Haz 2 for these missions.

The plague rocks seem to be in crap location all the time - against a wall, vertically on two levels in a big cavern, one just now was in the lava area so I was burning and being infected while to trying to clear the plague.

Performance is a bit worse since this update as well.

Not a fan of this so far, at least playing solo.
  • Aye it's definitely designed around co-op play I think, if anyone wants a hand sometime give me a shout.
  • Just loaded in and mines saying season 2 still. I'll send you a FR Gurt.
  • Consoles (and possibly MS pc version) are updated in 2 weeks.

Will be interesting to see if there is any performance impact on the ps5 version.
  • Boss game. Will jump back in soon for the new season.
  • It's brilliant fun.
    ROCK AND STONE MOTHERFUCKKKKKAAAAAAA!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • A couple of patches have been released since the update.

1 fixes the constant spawn on point extractions, and today's "Reduced max vertical spawning angle of Contagion Spike" might hopefully address my other complaint of the spikes spawning over multiple levels in awkward to get places (unless you are a driller).

These spikes are a bit of a drag but more manageable now. Previously I was having to get Bosco to pick up the hoover and then direct him to the foam. Now you can simply direct him without picking up the hoover first. Not sure if that was always there and I was just overcomplicating things (nothing in the patch notes about it). Still a drag having to pick up the foamer each time, and especially when it drops to the floor below.
  • Season 3 has dropped on xbox by the looks of it.
  • Ah sweet. Will have to jump back into it at some point.
  • PS5 versions plays great with none of the new stutters I get on the pc version when things spawn from the plague area.

Bosco is a lot better at hoovering up the plague. I’d jumped in, sprayed the area and left. Bosco continued to get all the foam and the area cleared. Never had that on the pc version. This was quite a small plague area though where the ones on the pc were larger and more awkward.

Even got used to the controller again, but it does mouse support as well.

Need to see what happens in a really big cave now - if the console versions do the really big ones.
  • Back to the PC version and the latest patch (been 5 since this season started) has made Bosco behave the same as PS5 - auto hoovers foam which makes clearing the plague significantly easier than it was originally.

The plague area seemed a lot smaller than previous - or maybe just it was placed in a less obnoxious position for once.

Still stutters a bit but is reduced. However, I was running 2 screens and Prime tennis was playing on the other. That won't help but that isn't the cause of all the stutters.

Played with controller - which makes stutters less noticeable than m&k, and miss the feedback from the PS5 version.

Might have to go online at some point.
  • Back to mouse and it is a lot better for control - especially for scout where you want precision for the rifle and grappling hook.

Had a nightmare Point Extraction that was based in a main narrow tunnel with plenty of tiny tunnels leading of it. Managed to get 5 of the aquarqs and had no idea where the remaining 2 were. Spent 15 minutes legging it Benny Hill style around a load of these tunnels without managing to find the ones I needed. Eventually went down like a scene from the ending of Halo Reach.

Then the next attempt I went through without even needing to request extra ammo and found the aquarqs reasonably quickly.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Back to mouse and it is a lot better for control - especially for scout where you want precision for the rifle and grappling hook.

Had a nightmare Point Extraction that was based in a main narrow tunnel with plenty of tiny tunnels leading of it. Managed to get 5 of the aquarqs and had no idea where the remaining 2 were. Spent 15 minutes legging it Benny Hill style around a load of these tunnels without managing to find the ones I needed. Eventually went down like a scene from the ending of Halo Reach.

Then the next attempt I went through without even needing to request extra ammo and found the aquarqs reasonably quickly.

Thats interesting, the Point Extraction maps always tended to be huge open caves. Have they started mixing cave types up abit more? The winding tunnel type maps were usually on the mining for morkite jobs or elimination.
  • It’s the first I’d seen a layout like that. It was a vertical cylinder area that just fit the main machine and a bit of space to run around it. The tunnels were tiny and much smaller than the morkite ones (which are quite wide paths to the next cave). I called the plague cleaning thing and that completely blocked one of the tunnels. They were tiny and more like arteries running to and from the main area.

The mission I did next was the traditional large cave with easier to spot aquarqs.

They did say they are mixing up the cave generation but that narrow one was really odd. And horrible when paired with point extraction.
  • I like the idea of mixing the caves and mission types more. My favourite is the long drawn out morkite hunt down long winding tunnels with friends. Always makes for a panic extraction as there's loads of distance to cover to get back to the drop pod.

You should play this with friends mate, its so much better imo. Takes abit more thought and teamwork when you don't have Bosco to do the graft. I joined gurt for a game a while back. We could all go digging together if your up for it.
  • I was thinking online might be harder as bosco does so much stuff for me.

I’m on Steam (and PS5) and I think you and Gurt are on the MS version, which don’t talk to each other, afaik.
  • I'm definitely keen for some more runs at some point, perhaps tomorrow if I'm not around later.

It's included on Gamepass if that helps at all.
  • New rogue-lite spinoff in the works - Deep Rock Galactic: Rogue Core

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/deep-rock-galactic-rogue-core-takes-one-of-pcs-best-co-op-experiences-into-a-different-genre
    Having hollowed out the Asteroid of Co-Op (Resource) Extraction FPS, Ghost Ship are sinking their drills into the Planet of Roguelite. The just-announced Deep Rock Galactic: Rogue Core is a crafty feat of genre-splicing in which one to four dwarven miners investigate an alien world whose "core has gone rogue". As in the original Deep Rock Galactic, which we loved, you'll be tunnelling down and fighting critters (exact species TBA) while harvesting precious ores. But this time, there's no returning to the ship once you've loaded up enough. The only way out is down.

Sounds really rather tasty. I like DRG but somehow I've never felt tremendously compelled to play a lot of it, the rogue-lite structure sounds much more up my street tbh and I'm quite looking forward to this.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Loved everything about DRG but similarly didn't play enough. Fuck knows why. I blame Franny for pissing about with board games
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hey, I'd play DRG any day of the week.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Except Mondays and Fridays
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You got it.
  • Played this last night for the first time with Wookie, ah man what a great game. So much fun. Probably back on tonight if anyone fancies it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I might be up for that.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!