Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    We all love a list, right? No? Great!

So I thought this would be a good way of introducing people to potentially some new music, as well as being a brand new way for people on here to argue with each other. How will it work, I hear you ask? Over the course of one week:

1) A band/artist is chosen.
    2) You list your favourite five songs. First place gets 5 points, and so on all the way to the last one, which will get a solitary 1 point. You have the chance to change your mind over the course of the week as the votes won't be totalled until the end.
    3) As a 'bonus' (for want of a better word), you can also choose your favourite album and the one with the most votes wins the title.
    4) At week's end, one person can select a new artist, hopefully with some genre hopping along the way.
    5) Goto 1.

So, for example, using Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds as an example, this that I shamelessly stole from somewhere else.....
    ALL-TIME TOP FIVE:
    1) The Mercy Seat (from Tender Prey)
    2) Into My Arms (from The Boatman's Call)
    3) Red Right Hand (from Let Love In)
    4) Straight To You (from Henry's Dream)
    5) = Hallelujah (from No More Shall We Part) and The Weeping Song (from The Good Son)

RECOMMENDED ALBUM: TENDER PREY
    So without further ado, kicking things off, some forum-friendly alt. rock with NIRVANA!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Placeholder for winners, weekly tracking.

Artist #1 (21/9): Nirvana
    NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg

ALL-TIME TOP FIVE:
    1) Breed (from Nevermind)
    2) Smells Like Teen Spirit (from Nevermind)
    3) Where Did You Sleep Last Night? (from MTV Unplugged In New York)
    4) In Bloom (from Nevermind)
    5) Come As You Are (from Nevermind)

RECOMMENDED ALBUM (based on track votes): NEVERMIND

Artist #2 (3/10): Kate Bush
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Covers are allowed I take it?

Music is music. Let's not qualify things too much in the list. Live versions are good too, right?
  • I'm gonna need both for my real top 5.
  • Oooooh, now this is gonna take some thinking
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Covers are allowed I assume?

As long as it's by the original artist (I mean why wouldn't it be), sure.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Live versions are good too, right?

Of course. That's a reminder for me to go and listen to 'From the Muddy Banks...'
  • 1- Breed
    2 - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    3 - Stay Away
    4- Something In The Way
    5- About A Girl
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I used to use Breed and Stay Away as regulars in my spin class, my class members hated it at first as I ran them as sprint tracks.

I would be at the front in my lycra with my "Britney mic" screaming the lyrics at the class from my bike... was amazing
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    1. Breed
    2. Aneurysm
    3. Negative Creep
    4. On a Plain
    5. Drain You

This list would be completely different if you asked me next week.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Remember in the In Utero cd inlay it had the positions you should set the bass, treble etc on your stereo? Impressionable young me swore by those for many years to come.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Presumably, of the lists so far, it's the original versions and not things on albums like unplugged? I much prefer 'About a Girl' and 'On a Plain' from that album over the originals.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    See above. Nirvana (and other grunge) were such a massive part of my youth. I was one of the outcasts in Doc Martin boots in the music room every lunch time with my 'band'.
  • 1. All Apologies (I can't decide between studio and Unplugged!  Studio I guess)
    2. Where Did You Sleep Last Night? (MTV Unplugged)
    3. Come As You Are
    4. In Bloom
    5. Aneurysm

All the rest of the apologies to The Man Who Sold the World (MTVU) and Smells Like Teen Spirit.  I used to love the Unplugged version of About a Girl but I can't hear it without seeing THIS so it's probably ruined forever.
  • I like top 2 from Moot. Good choices.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I don’t have a proper top 5.
  • There was some mic feedback on one of the unplugged that kinda ruins it, Man Who Sold The World? Otherwise that would be right near the top.
  • Olimite wrote:
    We all love a list, right? No? Great! So I thought this would be a good way of introducing people to potentially some new music, as well as being a brand new way for people on here to argue with each other. How will it work, I hear you ask? Over the course of one week: 1) A band/artist is chosen. 2) You list your favourite five songs. First place gets 5 points, and so on all the way to the last one, which will get a solitary 1 point. You have the chance to change your mind over the course of the week as the votes won't be totalled until the end. 3) As a 'bonus' (for want of a better word), you can also choose your favourite album and the one with the most votes wins the title. 4) At week's end, one person can select a new artist, hopefully with some genre hopping along the way. 5) Goto 1. So, for example, using Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds as an example, this that I shamelessly stole from somewhere else.....
    ALL-TIME TOP FIVE: 1) The Mercy Seat (from Tender Prey) 2) Into My Arms (from The Boatman's Call) 3) Red Right Hand (from Let Love In) 4) Straight To You (from Henry's Dream) 5) = Hallelujah (from No More Shall We Part) and The Weeping Song (from The Good Son) RECOMMENDED ALBUM: TENDER PREY
    So without further ado, kicking things off, some forum-friendly alt. rock with NIRVANA!

me thinks you've caused yourself an immediate issue using an example with a joint entry, you need to be strict with these buggers from the start ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    1. Smells Like Teen Spirit
    2. Lithium
    3. All Apologies
    4. Come as You Are
    5. In Bloom
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Their eq setting recommendations were shite too, iirc. Bass to 10, treble to 3 or something. If you were listening on any kind of decent speakers that was terrible.

Edit: having checked, I may be misremembering that completely.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I couldn’t possibly rank my top five Nirvana songs. I can just about* manage albums, though, so have that instead.

* by which I mean I can’t even really do that.

1= In Utero/Unplugged in New York
    3. Nevermind.
    4. Incesticide.
    5. From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah.
  • No love for Bleach?

Anyway, my 5 :

1. Aneurysm
    2. Lithium
    3. Breed
    4. Sliver
    5. Rape Me

I'm defo on the top 2, could of been any from about 10 for the the 3 to 5 slots.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Goddammit, managed to completely forget about Bleach. I really shouldn’t attempt things that involve thinking this early in the morning.

That is equal to or just below Nevermind. I’ll get back to you.
  • Almost impossible for me to pick 5, let alone in order. I've also decided to exclude covers, as they've done too many good ones, so would probably need to do another list just for those.

1. Drain you
    2. Very ape
    3. Big cheese
    4. Sliver
    5. Radio friendly unit shifter
  • Here’s mine, for the scores on the doors.
    1. Smells Like Teen Spirit
    2. Negative Creep
    3. Come As You Are
    4. All Apologies (Unplugged)
    5. Territorial Pissings

With a shoutout to their cover of Molly’s Lips, just outside of the points.

Teen Spirit is undeniable, for me. Anthem of a generation and still sounds fresh today. Overplaying it hasn’t dulled its edge.
  • I guess if I were forced to listen to a Nirvana song it would be Come As You Are, but I'd prefer it to be the cover by Ghost of the Robot.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    We all love a list, right? No? Great! So I thought this would be a good way of introducing people to potentially some new music, as well as being a brand new way for people on here to argue with each other. How will it work, I hear you ask? Over the course of one week: 1) A band/artist is chosen. 2) You list your favourite five songs. First place gets 5 points, and so on all the way to the last one, which will get a solitary 1 point. You have the chance to change your mind over the course of the week as the votes won't be totalled until the end. 3) As a 'bonus' (for want of a better word), you can also choose your favourite album and the one with the most votes wins the title. 4) At week's end, one person can select a new artist, hopefully with some genre hopping along the way. 5) Goto 1. So, for example, using Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds as an example, this that I shamelessly stole from somewhere else.....
    ALL-TIME TOP FIVE: 1) The Mercy Seat (from Tender Prey) 2) Into My Arms (from The Boatman's Call) 3) Red Right Hand (from Let Love In) 4) Straight To You (from Henry's Dream) 5) = Hallelujah (from No More Shall We Part) and The Weeping Song (from The Good Son) RECOMMENDED ALBUM: TENDER PREY
    me thinks you've caused yourself an immediate issue using an example with a joint entry, you need to be strict with these buggers from the start ;)

To be honest, I care so little for Nick Cave I didn't even notice :D
  • I've listened to a lot of Nirvana and... am not impressed. Maybe you had to be there from the outset? They give me pub rock band vibes. Like Foo Fighters, RHCP. The one song I kind of like by Nirvana is Love Buzz, and that was a cover version.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1. About A Girl
    2. In Bloom
    3. Pennyroyal Tea
    4. Breed
    5. Sliver
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!