Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    During another sleep interrupted night yesterday, I was thinking about my games of the year. Not remotely wanting to (or interested in) steal someone else's thunder who likes running the GotY thread, I thought I'd start a thread to acknowledge the near misses of the year. Those titles (released this year, whether new or old) that may have slipped under the radar in what I think has been a pretty amazing year for releases. Also, with enough time before the votes can be cast, it may be enough time to play some new titles that may yet sneak in amongst the Zeldas, Spideys, Baldur's Gate and Mario Wonders into the top tier.

So, without further ado, here's my list (I hear you groaning at the back, Smithers!) of releases in chronological order that you could still check on. Happy to elaborate on anything if anything piques your interest.

Rhythm Sprout

Akka Arrh

Mighty Doom

EA Sports PGA Tour (hear me out lads!)

Planet of Lana (so good I'm playing it through again on my half-term break!)

Mr Run and Jump

Venba

Grindstone (new to console, I know it was released some time ago for other formats)

As much as I appreciate a lot of these, they may not make the final list. So what about you fine folk?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hi Fi Rush won't make my goty list, and I think it does lose its way some point towards the end, but it was fun, different and a nice escape from grimdark.
  • I'm often tempted by Grindstone in sales (it's been out on Switch for a while) despite the fact that it's not really my sort of game.  Read good things.
  • I'd usually be fill this thread up with random indies but I've been well off the pace for new releases this year.  With so much choice and so many sales I tend to be a bit behind while things sit on watch lists, unless I game I fancy releases on a service I'm subbed to (or it's something that 'can't wait', like Blasphemous 2).  Most of the games I thought of to mention were from 2022 (Lunistice, Swordship, Donut Dodo).  I played Venba at launch, that was pretty good.  Valiant Hearts: Coming Home and Tchia probably deserve a mention but they're not quite worth championing and they both felt like 7's to me.  

The Excavation of Hob's Barrow just about qualifies though, in Switch form anyway (released in Jan).  

Easily my favourite modern point 'n click alongside the rather good Return to Monkey Island.  More thoughts here.
  • Remnant 2, this years well received sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes.  Always wanted to try the series, as I really like its aesthetic, but been dissuaded by tales of boss fights.   You'd think a 'Dark Souls with Guns' would go down a treat here, but Remnant failed to gain much of a traction here or elsewhere. The most egregious elements of the original's boss fights have been eliminated and the range of environments is supposed to be impressive.   Not a AAA release by any means, and its does firmly plant its flag as a AA game (along with its price tag) but it never really set the world alight.  Which is as shame, considering how bad most AAA releases are these days.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I tried Mighty Doom, but I... didn't rate it, let's say that.

I totally forgot about Akka Arrh, I'll have to add that to my pile of doom.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Hob’s Barrow is going on the list Moot, that looks good fun.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Remnant 2, this years well received sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes.  Always wanted to try the series, as I really like its aesthetic, but been dissuaded by tales of boss fights.   You'd think a 'Dark Souls with Guns' would go down a treat here, but Remnant failed to gain much of a traction here or elsewhere. The most egregious elements of the original's boss fights have been eliminated and the range of environments is supposed to be impressive.   Not a AAA release by any means, and its does firmly plant its flag as a AA game (along with its price tag) but it never really set the world alight.  Which is as shame, considering how bad most AAA releases are these days.

This interests me, and it's a shame it didn't seem to leaver much of a dent (though I guess i'm part of that problem). I'm just packed with games this year - been the best year since 2017 in terms of the output of constant bangers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!