Game Time
‹ Previous12
  • Literally..

Inspired by two recent posts. One about the guy who played civilisation for about ten years on the same save game, the other about the guy who left his ocarina of time on for a week straight to win a race in game after warping. I also know that if you leave mk64 on for over 24 hours in-race then the counter starts to behave differently although no one has manage to put that to good use yet.

Has anyone else got any othe examples where leaving games on for long periods or playing a game for more time than the developer anticipated has strange or interesting results?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    Not the best example but I do remember playing Gauntlet and if you remained motionless for a certain period of time, all the walls turned to exits.  You probably didn't have to wait long but it felt like ages to a 10 year old.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • What's the Ocarina of Time one all about?

Christmas Nights did some stuff on certain non-December days.  Halloween for example.  I think.  Clearly not unanticipated by Sonic Team, given that they coded the pumpkin heads or whatever, but I don't think there will be many other examples if we just stick to unplanned oddities.  The infamous Donkey Kong kill screen perhaps.
  • Yeah Gauntlet. I beat that once and it literally took me and my brother all day.
  • MGS3? The End. Does that count? Although I think that's more to do with non-game time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not a long time period, but the dancing flagman in Outrun: Coast 2 Coast is kind of relevant here.

I had the experience of the codec constantly buzzing in MGS2 telling me to take a break from playing. I don't know if it was time triggered or part of the game, but it worked and I stopped playing it altogether.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • It was just a part of the game. Really good stuff. Love Kojima and his weird shit. Can't remember if MGS 4 had anything like that.
  • I left my 360 on for a whole day once.

it died

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Back in the times of 8 bit computers, leaving a game on pause for more than 5 minutes or so was always a gamble. It would sometimes just freeze and you'd have to spend 15 minutes reloading it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My cousin kept Viewtiful Joe on pause til completion on the GC due to having no memory card.

Three days in total (not constant play)
  • To get the 1 Week Survivor achievement in Dead Rising I had to leave my 360 on for like 24 hours+, as you needed to rack up something like 14 hours consecutive play time in a game mode that doesn't let you save to get the achievement. You can pause the game, but obviously that stops the timer. I had to leave the machine on overnight when I got tired. I was bricking it the next morning, expecting to wake up and find it had RROD'd during the night.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It was just a part of the game. Really good stuff. Love Kojima and his weird shit. Can't remember if MGS 4 had anything like that.

It didn't. Which is one of the many reasons it's total shit.
  • @Roujin: I did something similar with Senko no Ronde. You had to clock up a lot of hours of play to get an achievement. I didn't get it by the time I got bored of the game, so I resorted to keeping it on while I was at work.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It was just a part of the game. Really good stuff. Love Kojima and his weird shit. Can't remember if MGS 4 had anything like that.
    It didn't. Which is one of the many reasons it's total shit.

It had the ghosts in Shadow Moses.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That's more an easter egg than weird shit like the codec call telling you to have a break. The Sol gun was the only thing remotely insane about the game not counting the triple shark jumping plot.
  • The codec (Campbell??) asked you to actually switch the PS2 off at the back, I think. When I first came across that it actually made me think twice.
  • Love that fourth wall breaking stuff. It is one of the few things in games that hasn't been used to cliche point.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    That's more an easter egg than weird shit like the codec call telling you to have a break. The Sol gun was the only thing remotely insane about the game not counting the triple shark jumping plot.

theres loads of hidden and funny coecs in mgs4.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • 4 is mostly awful though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    first level then everything after shadow moses is great.
    but your right.

love the deja vu codecs of snake dreaming hes being stabbed repeatedly....

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've been playing 4 as a shooter, fuck stealth.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    I've been playing 4 as a shooter, fuck stealth.

yeh its no snake eater.
    run and gun is fairly easy on mgs4.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    theres loads of hidden and funny coecs in mgs4.

It's clear i've forgotten a few of them due to my vitriol of the game and the fact I last played it years ago, but they're all fucking shit nor that fun to listen to. In MGS 3, you had unique radio chit-chat with SIGINT for practically each and every weapon in the game if you had it equipped. I fucking loved that detail.

The conversations with Paramedic about Japanese cinema then having interjections from Zero about his love of James Bond are some of my favourite aside moments in Snake Eater. Yes you get silly conversations from Rose and Otacon in MGS 4 but it feels exceptionally laboured and shit.

Like they just thought "HO YEAH this would be a good time for a funny codec call." Fuck off Konami and let Kojima breathe.

MGS 4 is arbitrary nonsense and Rose is an annoying slag.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Don't even get me started on what they did to Johnny.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Don't even get me started on what they did to Johnny.

hahahaha, 
    one of the family line had to come good eventually. :) 

oh and agree with previous opinion too, mgs4 is the bollox.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I guess you meant MGS 3. And yes, it is. I've yet to play the HD collection to my shame.

How does Peace Walker and Portable Ops play in relation to the others?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Just some celebration of MGS 3 radio chit-chat going on.

• MGS4 is one of the greatest games of this generation.

that is all

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    I guess you meant MGS 3. And yes, it is. I've yet to play the HD collection to my shame. How does Peace Walker and Portable Ops play in relation to the others?

i did indeed.
    not tried portable ops but peace walker is amazingly good.
    might get portable ops and peace walker psp for vita.

hd collection is great and everyone should own it.

• MGS 4 is great!

Peace walker lumps all the codecs into a menu. BOBBINS!
  • I'm sure I've left my 360 on for an achievement in something but I can't remember what it was.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!