No EULA can stop you from selling on Steam or Origin bought titles
  • The EU has ruled that there is nothing in any EULA that stops you from selling on digitally obtained games.
    "Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy - tangible or intangible - and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy. Therefore, even if the licence prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy."

Of course you'd have to deactivate your right to the software once you've sold it on, but this is an interesting development.
    It'll be interesting to see how Valve and EA rewrite their terms and conditions to go against this ruling.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I miss Player One.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pour one out
  • It's obvious why steam and the like haven't allowed you to gift friends your copies of games after you've finished with them, but does this mean they now have to let you?
  • It's obvious why steam and the like haven't allowed you to gift friends your copies of games after you've finished with them, but does this mean they now have to let you?

I can see this as a decision that will be appealed, and as such not something we will see any time soon.

Green Man Gaming already offer a system that allows it, so it'll be interesting how Valve react at least, the weren't they planning a digital pre-owned system at one point?

Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Pour one out

Unzip first.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Not even if he was on fire.
  • Gonz, whilst you're there, what does this mean for online passes? My feeling is they should be out too, but I'm not quite sure.
  • From another article -

"While the original provider of the product - say, Ubisoft or EA - has no obligation to support the resale of its digital games, the ruling means that a third party company could swoop in and legally facilitate used digital software sales, at least in the EU. Whether or not such a company will form, or if a current distributor such as Valve or Good Old Games will step up to the task, is currently in the realm of pure speculation."

Pretty interesting stuff.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Main change was preventing you from bringing class action suits, IIRC.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!