Final Fantasy - General
  • But........VIVI. Plus, Zidane not being an introspective loner was a breath of fresh air.
  • It has a better cast of characters (Vivi fer crissakes!), I actually quite like Kuja.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Alright emos, Vivi ain't that great. Freya and Steiner (THAT FACE) are better for a start. IX's combat spoiled subsequent games for me, 4 party numbers is pro, 3 is piddly. BRING BACK 4.
  • lOZbN.jpg

Man the sprites in VI
  • Freya was my worst character, she had a spear, I hate spears.

Dagger was great too.
  • They do look really lush, still. I remember not playing VI so consuming guides online about the monsters, because the sprites were shrunken down they looked amazing. I have no idea why we don't have a new FF game with HD animated sprites, I'd buy that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Because Final Fantasy HD Remix Dream Sequence XP-13 Pro
  • I don't rate IX half as highly as all you lot. I think VIII is probably the best all rounder from the PS1 trilogy.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Freya was my worst character, she had a spear, I hate spears.

Dagger was great too.

She also had jump which was win.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I don't rate IX half as highly as all you lot. I think VIII is probably the best all rounder from the PS1 trilogy.

I was a beast at the card game.
  • Tempy wrote:
    They do look really lush, still. I remember not playing VI so consuming guides online about the monsters, because the sprites were shrunken down they looked amazing. I have no idea why we don't have a new FF game with HD animated sprites, I'd buy that.

Final Fantasy Dimensions coming to iOS this year.

Also as DJR said, I didn't like Freya.
    My party was Zidane, Garnet, Vivi and Amarant.
  • Well you just suck, give Freya love.
  • The best card game ever within a game must be the one from 8 or Pazaak.

Actually, despite my spear bias, I levelled Freya up in another play through and her dragon abilities were pretty impressive. I remember using jump as a desperation move to stop my party being wiped out against tough bosses.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't use Steiner and Vivi though as they became massively overpowered when used together at high level.
  • The almost endless possibilities of materia make VII hands down the best of the PS1 bunch without even considering other factors. It rewarded experimentation more than any other RPG system. And then there was all the exploring you could do - always finding new mini games, equipment, even characters - the full control of your party selection and character abilities, and then the setting and the characters.

Ok VIII and IX had the card games, but other than that no part of them lived up to VII. I don't even remember much about IX, except for its restrictions - the fog, rarely being able to fully choose your party, poor selection of summons, characters with assigned roles - and how irritating that Steiner character was.
  • VII has that primo wierdness that never really permeated the Highschool future of VIII or the fairytale feudal quest of IX. VII has all the crazy shit, and the map was brimming with lots of unique places to visit, more so than any other FF, you are right. The name escapes me right now but there was a tropical island in the South that you go to when Cloud goes catatonic, right before Ultima WEAPON hunts you down and destroys the whole place. Also the lab in Nibleheim is great, the scratches on the inside of the tubes and all that stuff, it really does just stick with you much more than FFVIII's plot about er, and IX's which is about um.
  • Come on Temps, 8 was about time travelling witches and 9 was about Vivi and Quina's love story.
  • Yeah Ultimecea was trying to destroy everything or some shit and then Edea wasn't actually a bad guy but your carer at an orphanage when you were all young or something. IX was about two bros who had monkey tails and yeah Kuja, he wanted to destroy everything or some shit.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    The story in IX stays good as long as the queen is the bad guy, then I have no idea what happens. I think I was only able to effectively use Trance once by getting virus cast on my party before the trance bar filled then removing it just before a boss battle. Every other time it would activate, then someone else would kill the last enemy and I'd never get to use it.

JonB wrote:
    The almost endless possibilities of materia make VII hands down the best of the PS1 bunch without even considering other factors. It rewarded experimentation more than any other RPG system.
    I remember the junctioning in XIII being very versatile, equipping death to attack so my guy could kill enemies in one punch. And all the different equipment slots and tons of support abilities available in IX. Obviously Tactics blows them all out of the water in terms of versatility, to the point it almost felt broken at times.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    Freya was my worst character, she had a spear, I hate spears. Dagger was great too.

Spears > Swords

But Hammers > Spears
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The biggest thing I disliked about FF VIII was how stupid it was your characters had to use their Guardian Force to use items.
  • I think FF7 is much better than FF8. Where ever you put those games in a grand-list, FF7 is better than FF8, surely. Junction system was not great (and full of missable GFs). Drawing magic was a bore. Enemies that scaled to your level removed any sense of progression. Impenetrable story that made no sense. Emo, practically silent, main character. Poor limit break system. Gil from a salary (despite how much sense this actually makes in the real world). Poor showing from Chocobo.

I could go on.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Oh yeah the scalable enemies, I think I did a play through where I completed the game without going over level 25.
  • Chocobo's Dungeon on the Wii just sprang to mind.  Put over 100 hours into that baby.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • You did what?! Can't say I even know of those games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Looks like a game aimed at kids.  But it's amazing!  Not as hardcore as Shiren, but pretty sweet.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • BREAKING - Tekken to feature even more Tekken

• Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Does it have Chocobos too? Can't be bothered to watch the whole thing.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    BREAKING - Tekken to feature even more Tekken

that looks shit.

ff7 were the best then 9.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Am I missing a Final Fantasy reference in there or something?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!