The Four Lenses of Game Making
  • http://www.whatgamesare.com/2011/12/the-four-lenses-of-game-making.html

Came across this concept in Edge and quite like it, although I think it's flawed. The main issue I have is that I'm not sure if "rule" plus "experience" necessarily equates to Behaviourism as Kelly defines it. I'm thinking that some arcade games (Contra, Ikaruga) are not emergent as they are composed out of predictable set pieces that will generally be conquered in a similar way by every player. However, the games do not fall in line with Kelly's idea of behaviourism as an ideology.

On the other hand, I like the general idea and I'm really in favour of introducing new words and terms into our vocabulary as sometimes I find it hard to articulate myself. For example, I often blather on about "purity of game" or "gameyness" and nobody knows what I'm on about. Now I can just infer Tetrism!

Although Kelly's model might not be perfect, it's fun to use it to explain your stance on game making-ideals. I can now say that most of the time I'm strongly against Narrativism and that I think there is a heavy bias in the industry favouring role above rule. I also think Tetrism is marginalised by Narrativists who desperately try to validate the medium as an art-form, whereas I personally find the de-contextualised mechanics of a good game to be as beautiful as any sculpture or painting.

Anyone else fancy a go?
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Thing I always remember in these discussions is that when Tetris underwent its most popular packaging, Ninty still saw fit to signpost its Russian-ness with sound and cosmetics.
  • More broadly: I'm on the left side of that grid, with the caveat that the context and nature of the cursors has to appeal too. I don't think that means completely ignoring the value of a well-executed sense of progress that we could associate with this Narrativism thing, but I do think it needs to support rule and system rather than take centre-stage, fudging rule and system into whatever a writer considers a worthwhile tale.
  • I've definitely noticed this diversion between what it calls 'Emergence' and 'Experience' in recent years, and have found myself moving more and more away from the 'Experience' side of things. I'd probably put myself more towards the top left corner, but then the designation 'simulation' doesn't really sit right with me. It's mildly interesting though, for sure.
  • I do appreciate all four aspects in games, but perhaps have a hierarchy of importance. Generally, I'd always sacrifice rule for role but ideally have the two intertwined. If the game needs to break the sense of immersion to make it more enjoyable or understandable to the player, then so be it. Punchy tutorials explaining rules succinctly, dispose of lengthy cut scenes trying to disguise them. That sort of thing.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Top right for me. As long as it tells a good lark, I'll forgive most things. Hence my unbridled love for Enslaved, MGS, Binary Domain etc.

Doesn't explain Katamari tho. Unless you want to go down the child molestation route.
  • Comments lead me to believe I will read the link later and at least find something interesting. Good good.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Pretty interesting.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!