Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Build yourself an excel spreadsheet of stock phrases that map across to performance scores, then just score them and build the report automatically.
    Agh, too generic that way.

Much better is to say the same meaningless stuff in a million slightly different ways.
  • "Your kid has has a really good year, making some excellent progress in many areas. More consistent reading at home would be of great benefit" / "Get your kid off Fortnite for fuck's sake instead of blaming the school for 'failing' them when you haven't read a book to them in 6 years.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Guess I can write this here as it is basically set in stone, but I have accepted a job writing full time for the Warhammer Community team. But sad it say goodbye to NME which is going to be a great site for games coverage in the future thanks to the new editor’s stewardship, but this is pretty much a dream job working for a company that I’ve been into for over 20 years in some way shape or form. What did Brooks say about this... that it’d be a bit inauspicious? Perhaps! But let’s see where it goes.

Wooooo! Just seen your Tweet about this. So happy for you, mate! Let’s hope this is the start of a happy and successful career. I know it’s what you want to do, hope it pays alright too. 

Will you still be doing some game reviews here and there (as I love your reviews) or you done as no time for it?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Cheers folks. Remote with the occasional meeting in nottingham. No more freelance for ya boy.

Ah no freelance. :(

But so glad you got it, mate!
  • My concentration is utterly broken today!

It's sunny, I'm going for a bike ride, I'll hit the gym, read my book by the beach, but please let me concentrate on my prep before my class for just the next 15 minutes inshaallah
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What happened today in my job? Nothing, just the entire Scottish qualification system getting scrapped.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Good. I remember taking one look at the Scottish education system and going "TWELVE LEVELS?! No-one needs TWELVE levels!" Get that shit right in the bin where it belongs.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Conflict of interest battered me there - £470 of planned articles in the bin. Boo!
  • regmcfly wrote:
    What happened today in my job? Nothing, just the entire Scottish qualification system getting scrapped.

It’s an, erm, interesting day for the Scottish school system.
  • WHAT DID YOU DO REG, WHAT DID YOU DO!?!
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • WHAT DID YOU DO REG, WHAT DID YOU DO!?!

Did Reg break something?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WHAT DID YOU DO REG, WHAT DID YOU DO!?!

Told them Ozno wasn't happy
  • Just reading up on it. Presumably reg, you can continue to be involved, albeit on the curriculum side rather than the inspections side? They'll presumably split up into one exam board/ curriculum setter and one ofsted like body. 

I spent 1 minute reading up on this btw.
  • Nothing will happen for ages.

SQA (the exam/assessment board) are being ditched. Education Scotland (the gov agency) are having responsibilities reduced – inspections and maybe curriculum setting are being taken off their hands.

There’ll be a study on who should do all those things instead with a report due in autumn. It’ll probably say a new body is needed, and everyone from the SQA will apply for jobs there, so nothing will really change in the end – but it will mean lots of work for someone like our agency to brand them and set up all their comms strategies.
  • Good news everyone!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just reading up on it. Presumably reg, you can continue to be involved, albeit on the curriculum side rather than the inspections side? They'll presumably split up into one exam board/ curriculum setter and one ofsted like body. 

I spent 1 minute reading up on this btw.

Correct.
    poprock wrote:
    Nothing will happen for ages.

SQA (the exam/assessment board) are being ditched. Education Scotland (the gov agency) are having responsibilities reduced – inspections and maybe curriculum setting are being taken off their hands.

There’ll be a study on who should do all those things instead with a report due in autumn. It’ll probably say a new body is needed, and everyone from the SQA will apply for jobs there, so nothing will really change in the end – but it will mean lots of work for someone like our agency to brand them and set up all their comms strategies.

Incorrect. I suspect this will go fast.
  • Well if the report isn’t due until autumn, when schools are already reopening … I’m sceptical of any actual change until the following summer break.

But you’re closer to it than I am, so I’ll not bet against you.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Again, having seen the speed of the change to the 5-14 system I can't agree.

In addition my role on the school includes early applicants, including Oxbridge pupils. Wtf does thus mean to kids who are capable, hearing their exam results are bout to become null and void.
  • I bet that whatever happens:

Reg will do lots of paperwork as a consequence and get approximately 0% payrise AND

Poppo will make bare dolla and buy ozno a round when covid's over and he comes back to Glasgow to take revenge against the cabbie wot nicked his Google pixel in January 2020
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I bet that whatever happens:

Reg will do lots of paperwork as a consequence and get approximately 0% payrise

Poppo will make bare dolla and buy ozno a round when covid's over and he comes back to Glasgow to take revenge against the cabbie wot nicked his Google pixel in January 2020

How do you Gonztradamus
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I hope they get rid of the twelve levels and replace them with eight levels like everyone else has. The OECD can do all the research it wants, I know what's gone wrong - too many bloody levels. TWLEVE!!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • The SQA got free consultancy from us a couple of years ago and then gave the resulting work to another agency, so fuck them anyway. Good luck to whoever gets set up in their place.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I worked for them for 2 years as the Senior Marker for Media and I got dollar and a hotel room so props.
  • Well done Tempy. Fantastic news on the job front and hope it feels like all the hard graft has been worthwhile. It's easy to say 'you deserve it' but I really do mean it. You're an extremely talented chap and I'm heartened that it's being recognised finally. Onwards and upwards!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Anybody in the Manchester area wanna hire a DS for their office I give bants and average work capabilities.

Back on the job hunt and fuck me if it isn't wonderfully soul crushing.
  • Filed my last ever news story at NME today.
  • Hopefully you made some friends during your time writing for them.
  • No, he made a lot of NMEs.

(Sorry, I'll leave now.)
  • Tempy wrote:
    Filed my last ever news story at NME today.
    Another chapter in the book of life ends. Onwards and upwards Tempu. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Got an interview for a job on Monday. Already have a decent job but this one might be a better fit, dunno. Nothing to add, just that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!