Project Zomboid
‹ Previous12
  • zomboid1920x1080-600x300.png

Project Zomboid
    Project Zomboid is a Zombie Survival RPG. Here are some of its planned features:

Retro-isometric style with plenty of zombie insides thrown in for good measure.

A massive city and the surrounding areas to traverse, explore and loot.

Open-ended sandbox world – survival is your only goal, and we’re sorry to tell you… you WILL die eventually.

Get infected. How will you spend your final days? Will you have a heroic moment of self-sacrifice, or end up chewing your best friend’s throat out?

Meet other survivors who you can join forces with, trade with, undertake missions for, or fight with for resources.

Loot, salvage, and build what you need to survive the apocalypse, from food and medical supplies, to weapons, even just booze to help get you through the nights.

Advanced item crafting allows you to use looted items to build weapons, traps, defenses, and many other things to help you survive.

Character progression. Learn skills and perks to help your character face the challenges of survival.

Starvation, illness, loneliness, depression, alcoholism, drug addiction, suicide, insanity, trust issues. There’s more to zombie survival than shooting zombie heads off.

Join your friends and survive the apocalypse together in co-op multiplayer.

The world changes the longer you survive; power plants fail, plunging the city into darkness and making batteries and tinned food prized commodities. The army rolls into the streets to perform ‘clean up operations’ and other gamechanging events occur the longer you survive.

Play in your browser, or stand-alone, on PC, Mac and Linux.

It will be released Minecraft style, where there will be continual updates adding new features, weapons, game-play and locations.
    I bought it this morning and have managed to survive for 1 day and 3 hours.

Anybody else playing this? Share stories and tips.
  • Does it still only have like 2% of the planned features implemented? It was very basic the last time I took a look at it.
  • I brought this months ago, I think it was v1.5 back then?

Has it been updated since? I really want to go back to it once they have the main story/random survivor groups/multiplayer stuff added.

Would love to be able to get an Edge survivor group going.

I feel like this is sort of the spiritual successor to Urban Dead, only without being full MMO. 

Have they added much more craftable stuff/discoverable items? I think in terms of weapons all that was in when I played were the hammer, baseball bat, nailbat and shotgun. They were full of talk about stuff like craftable molotovs and torches that needed batteries and all kinds of good stuff. 

I have it on PC, will dive back in if there's been an update. 

Oh and the game really gives me a heavy UFO:Enemy unknown vibe with the isometric 2D, randomly generated maps and overall look of the sprites and scenery. This is good, because I am super duper homo for UFO.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I have this, but likewise, it was very basic, half the stuff didn't work, and it seemed a bit "nice idea, I'll be back when you've implemented it!"
  • Not sure what has changed been implemented since you guys last played it and I can't survive for very long because I'm Shit so I can't tell you what's what. I was hoping you guys would tell me what to do.
  • Oh right, erm. 

Find wood and nails and board the windows, close all curtains. Do not go outside at night if you can avoid it. If you enter a building make sure you close all doors behind you as you move through the house/apartment/shop. 

When I played there wasn't much to surviving, that was about it. Oh for the love of god always remember to turn the oven off when food is cooked or your safehouse will burn down and you will probably die in the fire or the crowd of zombies it attracts.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ok, after reading up on it I'm interested. Can someone point me to a demo?

Edit: never mind I found it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've downloaded the demo, how do I play the fucking thing?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Never mind again. WASD cramp inducing shite. How the fuck do you make the sheet into bandages?
  • Craft the sheet by opening the inventory and clicking on the hammer and nails at the bottom then drop it in one of the slots.
  • I thought wasd was a strange choice, I don't know why it's not point and click.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That was the first thing I tried but it wasn't working, the tool icon at the bottom closed the item window when I clicked on it. I've given up now.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    So not worth bothering with?

I'm really pinning my hopes on this gen giving me a zombie survival game that sinks its teeth into me the same way that Skyrim got me hooked (but obviously with co-op at the very least).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I didn't get on with it from the looks if it, but I doubt I gave it much of a chance. It must be a different game by now though, I think it was the alpha version I played.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    I've played this quite a bit and it shows a lot of promise.  The only problem is that updates are very rare.
    The developers seem to be constantly beset by unfortunate events.  It seems to be a bit of a soap opera.

I'd advise holding off at the moment.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • I didn't get on with the previous demo but gave it credit for
    Spoiler:
  • Does anyone fancy playing multiplayer on this? I've got a server running on my computer, will leave it on most days if it's running ok and people are playing.

Put this in as the ip:
    vicinity.mooo.com

Let me know if anyone is able to join, i've tested and it works locally, just not sure I have the port forwarding set up right yet as had no external computers tried to connect.
  • Is it worth getting yet? Most of the features hadn't been implemented the last time I took a look at it.
  • I dunno when you last played but the only major feature it's missing at the moment is npcs, though there is still a lot of other stuff to come like hunting, fishing, vehicles and the army as well as expanding the map. The map is already very large at the moment (There are two major towns and it takes about 15-20 minutes to walk between them). I think when the npcs come out it will change the game a lot, as they have a writer who's been working on dialogue for years now and the complexity they have planned sounds like it could make the game very interesting. Right now, you mainly aim to improve various skills, keep healthy, go on supply runs but there's also building and farming.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/

The multiplayer has been very stable for me so far considering it's the first release. I was having fun surviving and running into people on a public server but i'm pretty sure someone hacked me or something and I dropped dead randomly (definitely was in good health and hadn't been close to bitten).

Anyway, I definitely think it's already a lot of fun and it'll only get better. I was going to say I can't really know whether you should get it at this point but I need people to play with so GET IT! Fun will be had.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was looking for the Project Winter thread and found this instead. Seems to be getting a lot of exposure lately, anyone playing it?
  • I haven't for years, but now you've resurrected the thread I might have a go tonight.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've seen a few streamers pick it up recently, it's come a long way, albeit over a long old time. It's very close to my dream game, I hope the State of Decay 3 team are watching it closely
  • *immediately purchased after the briefest of glimpses
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Be warned, it doesn't fuck about. I saw a guy on a good run climb through a broken window without clearing away the broken glass. He got a deep cut on his hand which ended up getting infected leaving him too weak to fend off the zeds or run away. All his gear lost just because of a tiny lapse in concentration. Absolutely brutal.

The gear will still be there of course, as you turn into a zombie when you die
  • sounds ace

sadly my laptop really struggles with it
  • weird that nobody with a decent budget has made this game already. the premise is surely a contender for most commonly theorised dream game of all time.
  • like this but with slick as fuck animations for everything, an original orchestral score, ditch the attempts at humour, and bodies/environmental destruction carrying over between runs and I would preorder without even having seen it
  • Well I am thoroughly enjoying this
  • maybe one and a half, but it isn't especially good and may require a lot of words. I have tried to go into this experience somewhat blind, as figuring things out seems to be where a lot of the fun is with this.

So after a couple of quickfire deaths, I found what seemed to be a decent base location on maybe my third run, in a detached medical building in the centre of an affluent suburb. It came well stocked with all sorts of pain killers, sleeping tablets, beta blockers and surgical equipment, which I thought would come in useful at some point. The streets seemed quite quiet, and as I wasn't sure what to expect, I figured the safest bet was just to start stockpiling items that I could need in future, so I spent my first week or so accumulating perishables from the counters of nearby homes, anticipating that they would be the first things to rot. I stuffed my fridge and freezer full of fresh meats and vegetables. But then suddenly I lost electricity and all my food quickly became inedible. Although I had a generator, I didn't have any fuel to run it (I presume that why it wasn't starting. I couldn't find an option to turn it on or something). 

So we move to plan B, which was now to accumulate a huge stockpile of canned food, bottled drinks, weapons, books and fuel. Over the following days I would spend my days meticulously and methodically scouring each and every property in my neighbourhood, until eventually I was having to venture so far out for new territory that it was taking too much time to venture back and forth.  But then on one such journey I found a key for a car parked nearby and a map, and with this all the plans changed. My base was getting kinda cramped with crap and many of my containers were already full, so instead of adding further layers upon this problem, I decided to pack all of my most precious belongings into the car, and head north to  find a more suitable location to secure for the long term.

At this point I realised my big mistake with the character creation tool thing. I chose the anti-perk where my character takes twice as long to transfer things between containers, and this meant transferring items from boxes into bags and then into the car took a fucking age. Seriously super monotonous. I can't recommend avoiding this modifier enough.

Anyway, eventually the day of the big move arrived, and so I headed north  via the motorway in search of a new home. A little while later I came across two cars crashed in the middle of a quiet street. I thought this is perhaps a good chance to syphon off some more fuel, just in case that becomes a problem. All good. But then suddenly out of nowhere some cunt zombie lunges from the bushes and manages to injure me. now panicking I run back to my car to try and make a getaway. Suddenly there are zombies swarming all around me. I desperately need to bandage myself up, but as soon as I try to pull over somewhere seemingly quiet I'm suddenly overrun before I have time to think. Again, this anti perk of being very slow to remove items from bags was an utter curse here. Tragically a few minutes later I bled to death.

I was absolutely gutted about this. All the items I had accumulated for my new start now lay far from town in the middle of a  motorway surrounded by zombies. However, finding a way to get back to this location still seemed a more appealing prospect than  starting again from the beginning, so that's what I set my mind to. Unfortunately I had already  syphoned off all the fuel from all the vehicles I knew about in my starting neighbourhood, so I was have to venture there on foot. And so that's what I set out to do.

Getting there took fucking ages. Like really fucking long, and it was stressful too having to sneak through so many dangerous streets without much in the way to defend myself (I needed most of my bag space for food and drink). After an arduous trek through a dense forrest, eventually I arrived at the scene of my previous death. inching forward slowly, I was able to pick off the zombies one by one as I entered their line of sight. Finally, finally, I was able to approach my car safely. I check the boot  and passenger seats-  all my goodies are still there, just as I left them. fucking wonderful. The great adventure can continue! Except it can't. My car battery is dead and my fuel has run out. I guess the car just kept on idling for days after I died until everything was depleted. 

So that's where I'm up to now; stranded in the middle of nowhere, on a dangerous stretch of road, far from civilisation, with huge quantities of supplies but no way to move them all.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!