[Baldrick's Tavern] MMOs/RPG Discussion
  • So there's a f2p mmorpg called Neverwinter on Epic. 

The trailer looks sooooo bad. Like, if I saw it 15 years ago it would be ropey bad.

wtf.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I presume it's based on Neverwinter Nights, which is more than 15 years old.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So that's about 25 hours into Baldur's Gate 3 so far, and it's really great. It takes everything that was great about Divinity and streamlines it. The inventory management is much better and swapping items between characters is easy, even during combat. It's still very buggy and glitchy and whole areas haven't been added yet but it's totally playable. And it seems to be full of actual dungeon crawling. It reminds me a bit of Diablo 3 but as an rpg. I wonder when the next update drops? It could do with a bit more loot.
  • Music to my ears. If Kow is a fan, know I’ll be one too.
  • I need to go back to it, but I am going to wait until
    i’m done with Uni incase it eats my life.
  • Really hyped for it but I'm holding out for full release.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There are areas that you can't go into yet because it's still early access, so if you're going to tear into it maybe you should wait, yeah.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So that's pretty much the content of early access finished. Took me about 30 hours, but I'll keep playing as there is lots of hidden stuff and areas I haven't fully explored yet and enemies I haven't killed. Impressions are overwhelmingly impressive but there is lots to fix. You should maybe wait, though, as incoming patches are going to be incompatible with saves so it'll mean starting over when you update. I have no problem with that at all, in fact I look forward to doing it again, but it might be an annoyance for some people.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    From what I played I was highly impressed. Although, I did decide to park it until the full release and come back then. Looking forward to it though. Characters are great!
  • Was up to the wee hours last night playing Path of Exile on PS4. A tad disappointed to see there's no dedicated thread for it on here. As Diablo clones go it's extremely competent, and as a free to pay title it's refreshing to see that its microtransactions are restricted to cosmetics only. Gotta love that skill tree though!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The skill tree is mental.

Been playing it with some mates but it suffers with the same thing as Diablo in that it's a bit mindless and repetitive. Enjoying coop Div 2 MUCH more.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    You really need to follow a build guide I found when playing PoE. Unless you're the kind of fella that can afford the time to do all the theory crafting yourself.
  • Anyone playign Baldurs Gate 3? Just wondered what your non-spoilerific opinions are? Hows the combat and is the dialogue/story any good? I don't really like the idea of jumping into a heavily story based game without it being finished, though it is tempting.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I put about 30 hours into the first release but my save isn't compatible with updated versions. I have no problem going back to it as it's really great but I'll wait a bit longer. The combat is top notch stuff, building on Divinity, streamlining it, full of depth and choice. I don't pay too much attention to the story but it seems solid enough. It's definitely worth your money but there's no guarantee current saves will be compatible with the finished game. You can keep playing on the beta versions for as long as you want, though.
  • I played a fair bit less, maybe 10 hours.  That time was spread over a few different characters, so have really only seen the first couple of hours.  I concur with Kow.  I’ve seen enough to know I’ll like it when it’s finished, but I don’t really want to go in deep until the story is complete.

Combat is hard but it looks like you can get really creative and improvise.  Dialogue is also high stakes.  Like there’s a bit where you can try tp help some people under mind flayer control and it can go really badly for everyone if you fail the stat checks.  It seemed like they are encouraging you not to not jump in and be a hero without thinking things through.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

• Struth!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Amazon's New World is out today. Currently watching some old WoW guild mates discuss it on Discord, haven't really given it much thought myself. Might see how launch week plays out. Anyone else been interested?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Slightly. I've never properly MMO'd so I've no idea if I'd take to it. I'm keeping an eye on it and would appreciate updates should you get sucked right in
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is it free to play?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Nah, paid but no sub. Been caught up with work today so not had an opportunity to consider a purchase.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Looks like a lot of people are having trouble getting into the game. Fairly normal MMO teething trouble.
  • Edit - dumb question. Already answered above.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    678k players on Steam alone at the moment, says it all though. MMO fans are starved of new experiences! Kudos to Amazon, hope it goes well for them.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Picked up New World because why not. Only done about an hour but so far, so MMO. Very basic character creation and the usual initial kill quests. At least the combat seems to be a bit more than just queuing up actions, as you actually have a block, dodge, heavy and light attacks, plus various other perks bound to certain keys. As there's no sub I can leisurely take my time. Not much point in joining guilds etc as I'm hardly ever going to be on (I got thrown out of the the guild I created in WoW for never being around).
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah picked it up as well, not had much time with it though. Like the classless system and the horizontal progression systems. As someone who likes to craft and gather there is plenty here for me. Combat seems good too, lots of people complaining that there aren't many skills but to be honest I like it. Noting worse than having 60 skills bloating a huge hotbar, just always seemed like overkill to me.

On the Kinada server but I think there will be free transfers opening up soon!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    That Square Enix dungeon game that looks like it was made on a budget of 50p is getting some positive write-ups on ResetEra.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Which one is this?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Anyone picking up KOTOR on Switch today?
  • Bob.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Does Bob know you can play it on yer mobile for a tenner.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!