Treasure
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I like Dynamite Headdy... And Astro Boy on the GBA.
    That game was awesome.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I loved Bangai-O, the waiting till last second to blat everything, proper glass rocket gaming, I'd love to see a proper remake that actually reminds you that these are fucking giant mechanism you're fighting in and some classic Treasure boss battles
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • How do the different Bangai-Os stack up against each other?

I've only played the DS one and while it was pretty good it never gripped me that much. I seem to remember finding a particular tactic that was good for beating at least half the levels, and whizzed through after that.
  • I liked Bangai-o Spirits, because it's the only one I've managed to get anywhere on.

Missle Fury is proper rock hard!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Having played the DC, DS and XBLA versions, I'd say the DC iteration is head and shoulders above the rest.  That's not to say the rest aren't good, I thought the Dreamcast one was incredible.
  • How about the N64 version?

I love a lot of Treasure games too. Being a shmuppet, have to say Gradius V, Ikaruga and RSG are my favourites. Love Astro Boy, Bangai-O. Silhouette Mirage is good too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'd have to say either DC or N64 Bangai-O for me, one of them suffered a little slowdown when you played it properly due to number of sprites, I forget which though

Did someone say there was an XBLA version? How does it standup?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Also I want Lawro's Treasure hoodie, an item of beauty
  • XBLA version is decent. Prefer the original though. (On DC)
  • From what I read the N64 and DC both versions suffered from a touch of slowdown. I don't remember it in the Dreamcast version though (never played the N64 version, but apparently the controls are quite different). I thought the DS version actually had insufferable slowdown - I gave up after a handful of levels.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    If I remember correctly, the DC version had firing mapped to the 4 face buttons and the triggers unleashed the 2 missile types. I've not played the XBLA game much, but the DS version seemed over-complicated after the simplicity of the original. I say original but I think the 64 was the original?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm sure I remember reading at the time that the slowdown was intentional to give you a few extra seconds to plan your next move.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I call BS on that, might've been spun that way by a pub, but if that were the case it wouldn't have been so different on each console. Thinking of the controls, when emulating you can make it a proper twin stick affair, brilliant
  • JonB wrote:
    It was a fantastic game, but too hard for the likes of me. I was alright up to about the end of level 3 and then my brain couldn't cope. I've never played a game that works at such a subconscious or instinctive level though. When you're 'in the zone' it's almost like a trance, and trying to actually think about what you're doing is the surest way to break concentration and mess up.

So true. Once I played it on magic mushrooms and was sort of staring beyond the screen, just watching the colours breathe in and out of the television. When I snapped out of the trance I realised that I'd got to the end of level three without dying. Weird as fook.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Gradius V still sits proud as a honeymooner's dick on my games shelf.  Great, great stuff.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I want to play Gradius V. Give us a rerelease please.
  • Can't see it happening. :(
  • Bangai-O.

The DS version is brilliant and my favourite of all three. It's the one I played first and it took hours for it to click. Once it did, it got a huge amount of playing. It's a game you can take at your own pace (apart from some levels).

The DC version is more of a scrolling shoot em up as you can't hover and you only have two weapons.

The xbla version is closer to the ds version but has lots of additional features. I don't like the time limits of this version but it's pretty spectacular, if a little confusing with the zoom in during an EX attack.

The dc is probably my least favourite of the three but that's simply down to it having the worse control scheme of the three.
  • Gradius V and Bangai-O were both brilliant. And Wario World, seemingly overlooked, is by far and away the best version of Wario. It's also the only platformer I've played with a health system that's true to life (almost). He eats garlic to increase his hearts.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    more thumbs ups for Wario World, Bangai-O and Gradius V.

RSG and Ikaruga are lovely too but smack of elitism.

I like the way Treasure target a platform and squeeze every last cycle out of it and also usually avoided publishing across platforms. It made their games feel a wee bit special - though the recent 360 re-releases have kind of blotted that particular copybook. Still - a guy has to eat.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I like the way Treasure target a platform and squeeze every last cycle out of it and also usually avoided publishing across platforms. It made their games feel a wee bit special - though the recent 360 re-releases have kind of blotted that particular copybook. Still - a guy has to eat.
    Yes, how dare they make their games more widely available? Won't somebody think of the collectors!!!??
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Anyone like Freak Out? I tried a couple of times, but couldn't. Edge 8, I think.
  • Low speed and camera issues brought it down, but the concept and presentation basically appealed.
  • Birdorf wrote:
    Anyone like Freak Out? I tried a couple of times, but couldn't. Edge 8, I think.

Yes, it did receive an 8 from Edge (Gunstar Heroes got a 6!)

I'd say it's one of their poorer games, it's okay, but not great.
  • I liked the bosses. 

iirc they nearly finished a Dreamcast/Naomi racer called Gun Beat, which got scrapped.  I wonder what that was like.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Yes, how dare they make their games more widely available? Won't somebody think of the collectors!!!??

I really used to think that way - a kind of sad elitism.

I was convinced the value of my copy of RSG would drop like a stone - doesn't seem to have though. To be honest I don't really care any more as I can't see me ever selling it.

Don't think anyone could have made the Megadrive sing the way they did in Gunstar Heroes , or the old Saturn with RSG for that matter - but the way hardware is now that doesn't really matter any more.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I liked the bosses. 

iirc they nearly finished a Dreamcast/Naomi racer called Gun Beat, which got scrapped.  I wonder what that was like.

Don't remember the bosses, only the women who's oversized hooters you could grab and stretch with your scarf...

• I kinda liked Freak Out. Yes, the bosses were indeed good. But that was the gist of the game anyway.
  • Were they called sisters?  Kinda the guardians of each portal. 

I've said it before, but Super Magnetic Neo on Dreamcast is the best Treasure game that Treasure never made.  Play it and that might make sense (but don't hold me to that).
  • Yep. They were all sisters.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!