Treasure
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Were they called sisters?  Kinda the guardians of each portal. 

I've said it before, but Super Magnetic Neo on Dreamcast is the best Treasure game that Treasure never made.  Play it and that might make sense (but don't hold me to that).

I played the demo, didn't give it too much attention tbh.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I wasn't keen on Freak Out at all. Have to confess as well that although I do like Gunstar Heroes I think it's massively overrated. Prefer most Contras and Metal Slugs to it tbh.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Were they called sisters?  Kinda the guardians of each portal.  I've said it before, but Super Magnetic Neo on Dreamcast is the best Treasure game that Treasure never made.  Play it and that might make sense (but don't hold me to that).
    I played the demo, didn't give it too much attention tbh.

Super Magnetic Neo?  A great game, probably one of my favourite Dreamcast titles in fact.  Well worth checking out if you fancy an extremely tricky platformers with plenty of extra lives and a good gimmick. 

I half agree with Mouldywarp about Gunstar Heroes.  I'd replace the word massively with marginally, but there are better platform shooters.  Not many though.
  • They also made warioland on gamecube iirc.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd replace the word massively with marginally, but there are better platform shooters.  Not many though.

Perhaps "massively" was too harsh.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • I love Treasure: so many great games they've made that just exist to entertain. Shame some publishers haven't contracted them to make games though, like Nintendo. Give them some work! Has anyone played Capcom's Gaist Crusher? There's a sequel out this year but I haven't really read or heard much about it: I'm hoping Treasure's talents have been put to good use, as I can't really discern how the game plays at all. Hope it isn't Monster Hunter Lite.
  • I might copy paste my post about what so great about sin and punishment 2. Wario on the Cube was alright but a bit shallow. Ikaruga is obvious in its greatness.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Ikaruga's in my top 3 *games* alongside a SF and a IIDX.

'karaga
    'ighter
    'ania

Stick me on a desert island with them (and means to play) and I'll be happy.

I enjoyed Mischief Makers quite a lot as a yoot. Still need to play RSG a lot more.
  • Oh and I count Bucky O'Hare on the NES as Treasure - one of my all time favourite NES games / MegaMan style titles, and hands down best OST.
  • I enjoyed Mischief Makers a lot. I think that and Dynamite Headdy were the first of theirs I played and still among my favourites. I appreciate Ikaruga too, even though I could only do the first couple of levels properly.

Realising I started this thread and am probably repeating myself, I'd say Astro Boy: Omega Factor is still the top Treasure game for me. One of the few GBA games I kept and I still play through it every few years.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Ikaruga's in my top 3 *games* alongside a SF and a IIDX.

'karaga
    'ighter
    'ania

Stick me on a desert island with them (and means to play) and I'll be happy.

I enjoyed Mischief Makers quite a lot as a yoot. Still need to play RSG a lot more.

<3

I would like to 1cc RSG at some point. It was the length that put me off, same as Gradius V. I also need to play Bangai-O on the DS as I couldn't get into it on release but thought the 360 one was brilliant. About a million missiles!
    Oh and I never finished S&P2 but I think I was on the last boss or at least close.
  • Has anyone tried Gaist Crusher, the only new thing they've put out since SP2?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dubs! <3

I hope life's treating you well.

But yes, Astro Boy, Ikaruga, pure greatness.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You all am fail, treasure are one of my true loves, and I'm amazed this thread got past two posts without

bangaio01.jpg

edit: Apologies, didn't realise there were two more pages
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I played Light Crusader.  It was deeply disappointing.
  • Hajime no ippo is worth checking out. It's a boxing game based on a long running manga of the same name. There are a few versions but I've only played it on GBA.

It's a bombastic experience and plays like a brash, ultra violent punch out. Its was Japan only so I have no idea what was happening but I think I remember facing off against cyborgs and demi gods...
  • I like Dynamite Headdy... And Astro Boy on the GBA. That game was awesome.

Spoken two years ago, sure, but I basically agree wholeheartedly with this.
  • Hajime no ippo is worth checking out. It's a boxing game based on a long running manga of the same name. There are a few versions but I've only played it on GBA.

It's a bombastic experience and plays like a brash, ultra violent punch out. Its was Japan only so I have no idea what was happening but I think I remember facing off against cyborgs and demi gods...

Will I need Gamefaqs to hand or can it be worked out easily enough? I've been back on the Micro for a week or so and I own the cart.

Also, Dynamite Headdy is in the upper echelons of 16-bit greatness. It's in with a shout for being considered as the best game to ever grace the Megadrive.
  • There was a decent FAQ up to give you the basics. You punch by combining directions and a button adding a shoulder input for a special.

The story mode puts you in the gloves of a strong fighter, the first few bouts are very easy so plenty of time to get the hang of it.

As with most treasure games, the devil is in the detail. To finish the game you'll need to understand how to build your meter and how the specials interact with each other.
  • Sounds like fun. I was considering playing through Wade Hixton's Counter Punch again, but I think I'll see how I get on with Hajime first, thanks.
  • Never played Dynamite Headdy. Hardly any games interest me on Mega Drive, apart from the Treasure games though. Will have to pick up at some point. 

My fave Treasure games are Ikaruga and Astro Boy. Gradius V is also up there.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Never played Dynamite Headdy. Hardly any games interest me on Mega Drive, apart from the Treasure games though. Will have to pick up at some point.  My fave Treasure games are Ikaruga and Astro Boy. Gradius V is also up there.

If I'm to be honest, Dynamite Headdy was a game of it's time (a euphemism for it being a bit shit now), but there are very few games more imaginative than it.

Never played Gradius V, but your other two choices are ones I'll agree with.
    And Gunstar Heroes. 

I actually rate that game higher than Contra 4...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • If I'm to be honest, Dynamite Headdy was a game of it's time (a euphemism for it being a bit shit now), but there are very few games more imaginative than it.
    I don't think it's shit now at all. Played it again quite recently and it's as fresh as ever.

The only thing that dates it really is how mercilessly difficult it is towards the end.
  • I'd go with that - Headdy definitely stands up today - it's smooth as fuck and mechanically as tight as it ever was. I played it a couple of years back and, unlike many games from that era, rose-tinted glasses were not needed.
  • I'd like to go a little further - Headdy's "failings" in a modern sense come from the lack of modern safety nets that often accompany something that emphasises such complex gameplay. If it were made today, there's be a whole host of mini-tutorials hand-holding you through each possibility. Getting back into Headdy was hard, not because it has aged badly but because it's a bit of a shock going back into something so aggressive so quick.
  • I dunno about tutes, but I like to think generous checkpointing, no lives and quick restarts would happen.

But for those, it's something like a perfect videogame.
  • That it has something like a proper tutorial level at the start is quite unusual for a game of that age. The later bosses would need check points and probably still need to be less brutal for sure, and infinite continues at the very least. It was only using save states on emulation that ever got me to the end - when I actually owned it there was only so many times I could run out of continues, start from the beginning again, only to get torn to shreds by the same boss about an hour in.
  • Someone could do a really great technical essay on it, it's full of notions.
  • Aye, I'm not saying tutorials (beyond what was offered) would be a good thing, merely that it clashes with what is expected today.

I fully believe that if it were remade or done today with design sensibilities and prompts ripped liberally from Ultimate G'n'G that it'd be proper God Tier.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only downer with DC Bangai-O is lack of arcade stick support. Would have been nice. Unsure it plays with the VGA box either.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!