The TV you like thread
  • Latest episode of the walking dead was horrifying 

I wasn't expecting that level of terror at all. I know it's a bit weird but i have come not to expect to be scared by the show as it's generally numbed me to Zombies. Latest episode was another level.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Well now.

Ooooo.

The rest of you are bunch of cunts.
    Spoiler:
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    They just remastered B5, locked into a US streaming service, wouldn’t mind a rewatch so I can join team b0r1s with renewed anti anti B5ers.
    Things can only get better.
  • poprock wrote:
    Fair. It’s very much ‘Line of Duty in the Navy’ and if you’ve soured a bit on Line of Duty recently then Vigil probably won’t appeal.

Yeah, that's my take. I enjoyed Vigil for what it was. I always tempter my expectations with BBC produced stuff and knew early on it was basically gonna be Line of Duty on a sub. Like Line of Duty, the last episode was pretty daft in places, but it's was all fairly engaging and watchable stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Decent profile of Jesse Armstrong ahead of Succession season 3 here:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/08/30/the-real-ceo-of-succession

Some possible mild spoilers in there, but nothing I’m concerned about having read.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Was babylon 5 the first show to do those big overarching plots, or am I completey misremembering

No, but it was the first show to show aliens with absolutely ridiculous haircuts.   I could never take it seriously because of that.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Better than minimal rubber forehead of the week alien on Trek. ;-)
  • Really enjoyed episode 1 of Foundation, pretty sci-fi goodness.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I've never bothered to ask this, but should probably know.

Do the weekly release shows on streaming all get released on the same day? Is there a standard? (music seems to go for Fridays for the most part.)

Will save me some extra checking if there's some uniformity.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For TV? Disney+ seems to be Thursdays, pretty sure most of the other services show some things weekly because they’re being broadcast weekly somewhere in the world, so they’ll appear on the service after the show has aired, whichever day of the week that is.
  • Well that's annoying.

Apple TV? Anyone know?
  • tin_robot wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    I was bit disappointed to see some recognisable story characters in the Cowboy Bebop opening suggesting they're essentially just retelling the anime. What's the point. Tell me some new stories in that world. When the anime is so perfect, why would I choose to watch it live action. Obviously it's probably less for me and more for people who haven't watched the anime but then again it seems to want to appease the anime fans too. We'll see. I think the casting is great at least. I still need to read Sandman but, for me, Charles Dance can't get anywhere near Sam Neill's performance in the recent-ish audio version. He goes full Event Horizon and it's definitely worth a listen.
    My take on the live action Cowboy Bebop is almost exactly the same.  (I will of course watch it) Equally agree on Sandman - I thought the audio version was surprisingly good given that the source is so inherently visual. (Though Kat Dennings as Death took a bit of getting used to.) @Liv - just started Squid Game, enjoying it so far. (If "enjoying" is the word..)
    Need to go back and finish the audio version. We noped out of it during the diner sequence which was probably a section that didn't need to be such a direct translation from the graphic novel. I'm imagining it's probably just a double page spread in the book but 10/15 minutes of audio of that was a bit too much for the gf. Very nice production values throughout though.
    The diner is, if anything, worse in the book.  (Though the trouble with audio of course is that your imagination fills the visual gaps.)  A standard comic book's 24 pages, so Gaiman decided to do 24 hours over those pages.  It's pretty much intended as a warning not to get too comfortable I think. (It never gets quite that bad again.) What surprised me most about the audio book is that it also covers the little stand alone comics that he threw in near the end.  Some of those seem inconsequential but are essential later, but others are just as they appear and I rather assumed they would fall by the wayside.  But they clearly decided to do the lot. It will be interesting to see if the TV show decides to keep as close to the source material. Speaking of which... I also watched the first episode of Y: The Last Man last night.  So far it, erm, doesn't stick that closely to the original - though the central premise, one man and his monkey are the only males left alive on Earth, remains.  They first episode is almost entirely pre-catastrophe, and fills in a lot of back story for characters that didn't really have it in the comic book.  (Or were on an entirely different part of the planet.) I'm not sure what I think of it yet, and whilst I spent much of that first episode willing it to get on with The Thing, when it hits I appreciated that spending an hour with a few of these people first made it considerably more effective.  I'll give it a few more episodes at least.

Hmmmm, interesting. I'm still tempted to buy the full set of the graphic novel. Almost done so multiple times but never committed.
    Still worth it you think?
  • Facewon wrote:
    Well that's annoying. Apple TV? Anyone know?

Has been Friday for most things, Ted Lasso etc. Usually late arvo for us in Aus.
  • Word. At least that's consistent.
  • Apple TV throws in the curve ball of all the other channels though doesn’t it?  Amazon seems to be Wednesday for tv, Friday for movies, but sometimes it’s different.  IPlayer is whenever it broadcasts unless it isn’t that and they’ve decided to just dump them all.  Netflix, i have not one clue.  Disney is Tuesdays.  Movies and music tend to be Friday unless they have preview weekends the week before.  Games used to be Fridays but the big ones went to Tuesdays and the really big ones let you pay an extra 20 to get in even earlier.
    ITS ALL VERY CLEAR.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yoss explained it above, but I’ll repeat, if a show originates on a network like AMC, BBC, etc. and a streaming service like Netflix purchases rights to show it elsewhere, they typically have to wait until the next day to make it available. That’s how you end up with sporadic releases through the week.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Sandman stuff (and a bit of Y:The Last Man).
    Hmmmm, interesting. I'm still tempted to buy the full set of the graphic novel. Almost done so multiple times but never committed. Still worth it you think?

Sandman?  I have them all, and don't regret buying them. (Though I have the ridiculous Absolute Editions which are massive, and absolutely cannot be read lying in bed, unless you wish to be crushed by them.)

That said, there's a lot.  I would probably try one of the TPBs and take it from there.  Ironically I'd say that the earliest comics - where he's still unpicking it from the rest of the DC universe - are the weakest.  It really becomes its own thing from The Doll's House onwards, so I would probably pick that up (although it's what's coming up quite soon in the audiobook based on where you stopped.)  If you enjoy that, then I'd get the rest.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Doll's House is peak Sandman. Haven't read it in 30 years but I remember it being great stuff. I really can't see any point to the tv series.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve had my eye on those big Sandman volumes for a while. The subject matter is my jam, but I seldom dip into comic books. I did read Junji Ito’s Uzumaki this year, so I’ve made a start, and might read Akira soonish. Sandman next year? Sandman next year.
    Get schwifty.
  • Sounds good tin. I'll look into it. Those absolute versions did peek at me. Beautiful things
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What We Do in the Shadows season 3 continues to be as great as the previous two. Love the characters, and Kristen Schaal has joined the cast, albeit in a small role.
  • Like Genes character in her other show bobs burgers? Gene-h1.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Very good. That's quite a big roll, though.
  • Amazon prime is shit. Basically you have to pay to watch 90% of it
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • There's loads of stuff on there, I just use the 'free to me' tab.
  • That’s the hottest of takes. There’s shit loads there.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    There’s enough good stuff on there to be worth the sub.  And there’s the Middle-earth The Second Age series coming next year which, whether you like it or not, will be an event.
    Get schwifty.
  • It's best for shitty 80s straigh-to-video fare imo, horrors you've never heard of but have great covers, action films etc.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Onto Episode 6 of Squid Game. Has some stellar moments but also some sub-soap shite.

Not getting the insane hype for it, it's decent but not much more.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!