Far Cries...
  • Far Cry 2 is one of the shitiest games ive played. Crysis however has had multiple playthroughs. Perfect.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    Yeh, the AI was woeful in terms of trying to sneak about. You basically couldn't.
    You could. buy the camo, stick far away, and walk/crouch slow. Ta fucking da, you've done it.

Yeh, and I did enjoy the game- really enjoyed it.  But when I've been ultra sneaky and some guy spots me from a mile away through a tree it kind of fails.
  • The thing I hate most about Far Cry 2 is everything Elm loves about it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've rarely had that happen. I go quite far around checkpoints though, for some reason love the sneaking in this but not proper, full on stealth games.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The thing I hate most about Far Cry 2 is everything Elm loves about it.

BAYONETTA

oh shit
  • Don't ruin the joke, I like FC2 you wastrel.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The gun play was so much fun that, tbh, I didn't really care if I got spotted. Still annoyed me a bit when there was clearly no way I could have been spotted. Great game though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    whip yo hair back and forth
  • It's .50 cal sniper is still the best weapon in any game ever.

fact

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The dark affords you more protection.  I think it's more noise anyway.  I've successfully snuck my way through many camps, knifing cunts.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I can't get away with Far Cry 2 or Crysis 2. I've tried twice with Far Cry 2, but despite loving the setting, weapons and missions, the omnipotent AI get me down. How are you supposed to sneak about when they see you through everything?

What, did you miss the thread on the old forum about this?

They can't see you through everything.  Let me know if I need to deploy my rant about how the camouflage and concealment system in Far Cry 2 was actually realistic, and every game that has you hiding in stupid shadows is complete nonsense.

Lie prone, don't move, buy the camouflage suit!
  • How early can you get the suit?

I am thinking about giving this another chance - enjoyed reading some of the blogs that did this with the "permanent death" idea (ie play like you only have one life) - but shoddy/unfair AI would do my head in

How much is this on Games on Demand?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's always a fiver in Game when I see it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Lying prone and still with the camo suit on doesn't help me one bit when they're shooting me Elmo. You get into a good spot, snipe the first guy, then stealth goes out the window as the rest know exactly where you are.
  • Lying prone and still with the camo suit on doesn't help me one bit when they're shooting me Elmo. You get into a good spot, snipe the first guy, then stealth goes out the window as the rest know exactly where you are.

Yeah, just like real life.  If someone fires an absolutely massive half-inch calibre sniper rifle, then it's really rather easy to tell where it comes from (bear in mind I have a degree of professional knowledge in this!).

Like all things in Far Cry 2, it's ruined by gamers.  OMG I WAS IN SHADOW, SHADOW = HIDE, HOW COULD HE SEE ME UNFAIR CHEAT AI.  We're too used to little bits being "safe" zones where you won't be seen, or making a meter fill up to show we're not visible, or staying out of an artificial vision cone. FC2 was much more accurate.

Plenty of times I managed to get the first guy from about maximum range, then quickly spin off to a new sniping site, only to watch the AI approach my original spot.  They'd even fire randomly at it.  I was hiding in a bush about 10 yards away, and you actually hear them saying things like "where is he, I'm sure he was here" and the suchlike.

It's not cheating AI, it's some of the best, most realistic AI I've ever seen.  You then kill one of them with a silenced weapon from a shorter distance, and then throw a molotov, and you can hear the panic building in the survivors as they try to figure out who's killing them.  It's brilliant.
  • How early can you get the suit?

Pretty early if you find enough diamonds.  Never drive past a flashing GPS marker!  It's essential.  Look at the character pictures; you're in a light yellow savannah, with not too much in the way of cover (borne out by the fact you can see your targets).  You're playing a mercenary who's dressed in jeans and a red jacket.  You fire at some bad guys.  They turn and look at you, and unsurprisingly see a man in a red jacket sitting amongst yellow grass, and are able to shoot back.  Not rocket science.

Even when you are well camouflaged, if I can see the glint of reflection in a telescopic sight from an aircraft several miles high, then you can bet someone else on ground level will see it when it moves.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I don't think you can lie prone can you?
  • Sorry Elm but that wasn't my experience with it. I really enjoyed the game but the prescient AI was annoying. Being spotted when I had the camo suit on, crouched in waist high grass behind an absolutely giant thick plant and trees was beyond annoying. Without during a shot by the way.
    I also have experience of firearms and in a huge open landscape one single shot will echo, reverberate and you won't always know EXACTLY where it came from straight away. Certainly not to the degree where every single NPC turns as one and directs fire onto your exact bush in a split second. You can say it came from roughly 'that' direction but not that exact bush.

Also the things about hiding in shadow being a game cliche is a necessity born out of lack of peripheral vision, environmental feedback and just plain old clues from all your senses. If NPC AI runs at everyday rules you as a gamer are almost like a cripple in their world and you are at huge disadvantage.
    Myopic AI has to be included to make games playable.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Never found it remotely unfair.  If it found me, I'd done something.  Maybe I didn't fire, but did I move?  Movement and sound will make you stand out more than anything else.

Only time I've ever been shot at I could tell which sector to within about 30 degrees it was coming from, and I work daily with guys who are shot at daily, who are able to nail it to within more accuracy than that.  Environmentals come into it as well, as there are certain directions where shots are more likely to come from.  If someone's hit you can tell with an enormous degree of certainty where the shot came from too, so it all points towards the AI being fairly accurate.  

You hear a shot, see a mate get hit, you have about a 20 degree sector to look in.  You see any movement, glint of a scope, unnatural shapes, colours etc, and there's your shooter.  It happens literally every single day in Afghanistan, to that degree of accuracy, so I have no reason to think it's unnatural for AI who've grown up during a civil war, fighting for 10+ years and still surviving, to have the same skills.
  • You can train people to those degrees yes.
    But this is a game. I am hobbled by a limited field of vision, I effectively have a sack over my head cutting off all senses except sight. I turn like a tank and can't look around without moving my entire body in that direction I can't hug the ground and move and evade like a normal person I am effectively in a full body plaster cast. It's a little unfair to have the AI decide that the bush that moved with me in it was the only suspicious bush in this entire landscape full of swaying bushes.
    Again I loved the game. If they just hobbled that AI a touch it would've been my game of this gen. I didn't even mind the magically regenerating check points because that was really 'gamey' and sorta forgiveable.
  • Again, drawing on modern experience; when an ANP checkpoint is overrun by insurgents, as happened the other week, you know what happens?  The ANP ask for some assistance, go out and check it's safe, and then re-man the checkpoint.

Do you see the Taliban coming back the next day and going "omg, respawning checkpoint, CHEAT?"  No, you don't.  Likewise, you don't see the ANP going "well, we lost that one, let's just forget about it and leave it, its supplies, its strategic position and its firing points empty."  They go and get it back, perhaps with more people to make taking it again harder.

I'm still amazed that people thought the 2 factions embroiled in a civil war wouldn't replenish a base/checkpoint that was attacked.  The only concession to it being a game was the fact it waited until you got a certain distance away then repopulated it, as presumably there wasn't processing power spare to track the movements of dozens of jeeps full of reinforcements to make it more organic.
  • I don't think people were amazed they regenerated Elms it's more that they regenned so sodding quickly.
    A lot of the parallels you are drawing are in relation to a efficient military machine with excellent lines of communication, equipment, training and leadership.
    If you or anyone want to draw these parallels then THE most glaringly unrealistic one is a single merc taking on 30+ bookooh bad guys in a fire fight.
    The obvious retort to this is to say "But it's just a game!" which is exactly why me and others have been criticising the AI and checkpoints over the years.
    Again to make this THE best game of this gen for me it just needed to tweak a couple of small but important parts to make them a teensy but more forgiving and game like.
  • @Elm - Bollocks, the checkpoints could have been repopulated over time rather than as soon as your back is turned. It's hypocritical to suggest a game should be realistic in the AI's vision and awareness and then concede the checkpoints as being a snag of the 'game'.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Might stick this on tomorrow and set fire to some shit.
    I think I spazzed out and deleted my last pre no return checkpoint save though. So I won't be able to tool around with all my kit.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The AI saw me through trees, when I was still and not firing a single shot. If it was because I made too much noise then why isnt the game letting me hear these sounds that the AI can hear from a distance?

Sorry Elm, it's a great game but the AI was beyond annoying.
  • I kept a good two or three saves going as there was the save corrupt bug, found out the hard way.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I have about 4. But they all seem to be after you go through that gate of no return. Well annoyed. I did restart it earlier this year so I might give it another bash tomorrow.
  • @Elmlea, you cant moan at people who moan that FC2 isnt realistic because a common gaming convention of hiding in the shadows doesnt work 'just like it would in real life' when the game also includes quickly respawning checkpoints and guns that dismantle themselves after 20 rounds.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • three1ne wrote:
    also includes quickly respawning checkpoints and guns that dismantle themselves after 20 rounds.

... re-manning checkpoints makes perfect sense, and feel free to see how many rounds you can get through a gun that hasn't been oiled in 10 years when it's hot and in the desert.
  • But was it fun though?  No.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!