regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thought this thread could be a little like a blog - pick a game that isn't universally loved, and sell it to the forum. I'll start with - 

The Case For... Binary Domain

binary_domain_grab.jpg

Binary Domain isn't going to be my best game of 2012. It'll likely make my long list, but it's not the most innovative, polished title I've played this year. In fact, in many ways, I'm arguing for it because it is so derivative and clunky. The game opens in a very slow, unfocused way, including a five minute 'swimming' sequence, little of which makes sense. It does a poor job of introducing the player to the various systems, instead simply dropping them in at the start of the game and leaving us to work out what does what. The characters themselves are a mash of various other games - the Shepard-alike main hero, Cole-train as a sidekick, and so on. But what the game does well is put the player into a situation that seems well realised, and one in which, by the end of the game, they genuinely care about what's going on. 

In addition to this, the gunplay, whilst adhering to every-other-third-person-shooter's policy of hiding behind cover, is remarkably solid, and the guns themselves feel powerful - watching bits and pieces come off droids never becomes boring, and with the addition of an adaptive damage system, allows the player to really feel like they are in control of the destruction. I had shades of Goldeneye (the rose tinted ones) and the variety of different body parts that could be shot - hell, it's something close to Soldier of Fortune in the way enemies react to losing limbs. They tend to keep going - as robots, they're programmed to operate until shut down, so seeing a robot reach down to grab the gun from a limb you have removed is pretty ace. 

And then there's the boss battles - rivalling Vanquish for scale and the satisfaction of destroying them. Several of them are forever etched into my memory - the Transformer chasing you down the highway, the 'chandelier' - all of them are utterly unique and brilliantly paced. I'm an absolute sucker for a good boss fight, being a fan of MGS, SotC and even Resident Evil, so this pushed BiDo into something actually memorable and exciting, above generic Uncharted-Mass Effect-alikes.

Finally, there's Cain. I know it has been done to death and probably no longer seems novel, but a camp French robot? In a po-faced shooter? Magnificent, monsieur. I genuinely loved spending time with Cain and sought to get the best possible ending for him - a moment towards the game's conclusion actually upset me in the way it treated him. That probably says more for the quality of the writing in the game than anything else - had I not played Spec Ops recently, it would have been the most upsetting, emotional thing I'd played in years. 

So, it's not as good as we're going on about - mostly that's a bit of fun, and winding up others. It is however, pretty fucking good at what it does do, and manages to constantly make shooting robots fun, even seven hours in. I'd recommend people try it, not going off the back of the demo or the first hour. Try to at least make it to Cain. Please.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bought it yesterday on the Steam sale. Between your slapping its back in introduction for weeks and another friend telling me it's an unloved gem I went and got it.

Off to work soon but it'l give me time to think what i'll write about. Call of Cthulhu needs more love.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    The case for... Limbo

There isn't one, play the trial as that has the best part of the game. Fin.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I nearly bought Binary Domain yesterday. Decided to leave it until I've worked through my backlog. I do like the look of it though, I'm a sucker for 3rd person sci-fi stuff. 

I might write up a case for Red Faction Amegeddon later- I really enjoyed it.
  • I will second reg's love for BD, not the greatest shooter, not the best story, not the most amazing GRAFFIX or epic scale but.... It's just so much fun! The characters and dialogue are brilliant and yes... Cain is wonderful. 
    And shooting the limbs off death dealing robots and watching them drag their broken and legless bodies to try and kill you is awesome, they just will not stop! It's like Terminator 2 mixed with a sense of humour.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Its 9.91 in Tesco. What more reason do you need
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Moto70 wrote:
    The case for... Limbo There isn't one, play the trial as that has the best part of the game. Fin.

Reg said a game that isn't universally loved. Dont think any game is universally loved, but general consensus is that Limbo is great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yerp. You're trying to makes us like a game that may be like a 6 or 7.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Ah right...

The Case for... Dead Island

It's miles better than the 3 that EDGE gave it.
  • The case for Duke Nukem Forever.... Nope... Can't bring myself to do it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm defo buying Dead Island after that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I remember your enthusiasm Wooks. I remember.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    Ah right... The Case for... Dead Island It's miles better than the 3 that EDGE gave it.

if you like constantly mashing 1 button forever.
    (genuinely thik edge got this right)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The case for... Red Faction: Guerilla 

It's Far Cry 2 set on Mars, but packed with fun instead of cheating AI.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Case For ... Dead Island

6129338153_5a1a3b03da_z.jpg
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    One button David? I hate to say it, but you're playing it wrong.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Binary Domain sounds a go-er.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    i got burned fifty notes for tbis game on the back of that trailor, and some cool possibilites what moto said way back in a thread on old rum.
    i hate the game passionately.

might just be me though but it did nothing for me and left me bored.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Did you co-op?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Its 9.91 in Tesco. What more reason do you need

not in mine it aint 27.99. ;(
    i woulda got It off the back of regs words at that price.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    @paul. possibly what spoiled it more, overpowerd friend fucks up everything in site and leaves me to work out were hes gone.
    i gave it away too (free to a good home) so theres no going back to it for now.

• regmcfly wrote:
    I remember your enthusiasm Wooks. I remember.

It was a passionate fling that burned brightly but I soon realised she was shallow and empty behind all those tits...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    All those tits. 

ALL of them.

Davie - HMV is doing BD for £10.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also someone else should write one.
  • I intended to buy BD today, but I didn't make it to the HMV in Truro :-(

I did get Kinectimals for £5 for Imogen in Sainsburys though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    BD is a tenner in Asda also.
  • The case For.....Mini Ninjas

mini-ninjas-wii-06.jpg
    GJev0DTidX4nrPb8P0PbrNEuS174FGUtmYZdUHOYf9keb3mrnIxtDXh9EYcP5btb_-Kvh9fs=s640-h400-e365

I do enjoy picking up a game on the cheap that I'd previously dismissed, and finding out it's better than many titles I paid full whack for.  I bought this on the back of a recommendation from someone on here (I forget who), and managed to nab it for £6.90ish on Ebay (360 version).  When this was released I vaguely remember pooh-poohing it, partly based on the assumption that a non-Nintendo title on the cutesy side would be a waste of my time, considering I had actual Nintendo titles sitting on the shelf unplayed, and partly because I still hadn't played my copy of Ninja Gaiden 2. 

You start the game with a single ninja, and your goal is to rescue your imprisoned buddies as you work your way through a nicely paced campaign, which is interspersed with some pretty decent bosses.  Each rescued ninja pal, who you are free to control at any time, has a slightly different set of abilities, most of which come in handy for certain situations (very few are specifically required to overcome obstacles though, so there is scope for playing the game your own way).  You find ingredients to mix items, and you're never far from a hidden shrine which contains a scroll for a new magic spell.  Again, these items and spells are rarely necessary to progress, so I can imagine many people would play the game very differently to me - I pretty much ignored the magic and non basic items completely.  Fighting consists of two main buttons - a light attack for general footsoldiers, and a heavy attack to stun the odd enemy that decides to block.  Each controllable ninja has a different power attack, and considering the game's length, the number of different enemy types is fine.  There's a lot going on control-wise, although perhaps the few occasions where I got slightly overwhelmed were due to the fact that I've mainly been playing retro and XBLA titles in the past year, and I've gone a bit spazhands. 

Reviews I read shortly after I bought it suggested the game was too brief, but I'm inclined to disagree - 7-8hrs of gameplay is absolutely fine by me.  In fact, I've not quite finished it yet, but I'm on a level called 'Final Approach', so I think I'm far enough in to include it in Reg's thread.  If it does what much of this community might refer to as 'a bit of a Darksiders' in the final stretch then I apologise.  Graphically it's a mixture of basic and 'nice', the score isn't particularly inspired, but no aspect of the game is poor, and the meat and potatoes of the gameplay is great.  Refreshingly brief story sections are refreshing.  It does actually have a bit of a Nintendo feel, and that's not something to be bandied about willy-nilly.   

I won't try to oversell the game.  It's not quite top drawer stuff, and the fighting system at its core is extremely simple, but as a light hearted mixture of action, stealth (if you fancy it), exploration and multiple character gameplay it's not got much competition this gen.  I'd give it a good old fashioned, proper Edge era [7], which is pretty much a modern [8].  Edge did actually give it a 7 btw, but I think its Metacritic average ended up a little lower. 

If anyone is interested in this recommendation perhaps we could do a swapsie, once I've finished it, for someone else's entry to this thread?

Edit/warning: Those with an aversion to QTE's may dislike the bosses.
  • I turned Reg onto BD so in turn I CREATED THIS THREAD. Davie, weren't you saying it was shit mere days ago?

Anyway, I'll do one. Probably Project 83113 or something.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    I turned Reg onto BD so in turn I CREATED THIS THREAD. Davie, weren't you saying it was shit mere days ago? Anyway, I'll do one. Probably Project 83113 or something.

indeed but as with dead space and a few others i went on the strengh of the demo,
    full game of dead space were nothing like the shit demo so im hopefull its much the same case.
    (and i love anything futuristic with robots/androids/cyborgs that kinda thing like g.i.t.s.)

• The case for....Silent Hill: Downpour
    Silent Hill Downpour has the worst opening of any SH game I've played. It's slow, the controls suck, the combat is clunky and the enemy designis an absolute disgrace for anything bearing the SH name. Also before that if you're anyway slow to press start you're treated to a Korn "song" (fucking KORN!!!!, well at least it wasn't Linkin Park)

So you battle through the first hour of awfulness and then two words save this game beyond redemption and into the annals of actual goodness.

Side Quests. 

The exploration part of the game (which is the vast majority) is beautiful. This is an intimate Silent Hill. This is a Silent Hill willing
    to share it's stories if you just put in a little leg work. Because of this Silent Hill has never felt so alive and conversely, so abandoned.

You see a window with the light on, a little investigation and within a few moments, you're watching a man murder his family.

A missing child poster leads you on a story a struggling parent and of a gut wrenching betrayal of trust.

Most of the complaints levelled at the game are entirely warranted. It is the definition of a 7/10 game but in amongst all the problems there is an absolute gem. It has some of the most sublime horror moments since SH3, the Hansel and Gretel sequence and the Telltale Heart and genuinely terrifying moments.

I was a bit gutted when I heard Vatra were being shut down after this, they showed SH a lot of love (something Konami are seriously lacking in). I reckon given another stab at it they could have delivered a truly great SH game.

Anyway, give Downpour a shot. The price has finally started to drop and a patch is incoming to fix any frame rate issues there may have been (didn't find it too much of a problem myself)
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    A case needs doing for Alpha Protocol.
    By someone more eloquent than myself obviously.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!