The Puzzle Head Thread
  • Tempy wrote:
    I'd kill for a port of Wetrix, looked ace in magazines but I never got to play it. I know they are traditionally austere but I do like puzzlers to have a bit of theme.

I remember renting it for the N64 and loving it, would defo like to see a port to something!

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Tempy wrote:
    I'd kill for a port of Wetrix, looked ace in magazines but I never got to play it. I know they are traditionally austere but I do like puzzlers to have a bit of theme.

I have something on PS2. Probably some bastardized version, but it defo say Wetrix on the box.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fentonizer wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

I have something on PS2. Probably some bastardized version, but it defo say Wetrix on the box.
    The PS2 got a close enough port. Wetrix is great but if I remember it right it is hard as nails.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Super Puyo Puyo in Japan, Kirby's Avalanche in UK. I believe Herbereke's Poppoon was a completely different game.

Also, I think Puyo Puyo was released in the west on the Mega Drive as Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

I may be wrong about the above. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Close....Puyo Puyo on SNES in PAL land was Kirby's Ghost Trap - was Kirby's Avalanche in the US.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fentonizer wrote:
    Ok, so reaction/dexterity based puzzling still counts. I retract my statement because this:

aka Kurushi and Kurushi Final in PAL land - was pretty hard to find in the wild even back in the day.

• Picross probably wins it for me, along with Super Puzzle Fighter. 

I never got my hands on Slitherlink, still regret that. Looks like it would've been fantastic
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Yeah, Picross is my favourite, started another playthrough of 3D the other day, looking forward to getting to the meatier puzzles later in the game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wait, there's a 3D picross?  

WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME EARLIER?!
  • It's amazing. It's not on the 3DS, but it is amazing.
  • Preferred the 2D one myself. It's still brilliant though
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Plotting or puzznic. Always a dilemma.
  • And when I say always I mean like twenty years ago.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There's a new Picross game on the 3DS eShop next week.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I like most of the above but also Drop7 (iOS) amongst others.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Picross series (DS), SpaceChem (X-Pltfrm), PullBlox (3DS),  Nabacular Drop (PC), Portal, Braid, Myst (PC), Riven (PC), Zuma, Pipe Mania, World of Goo, Lost Vikings (Amiga), Suduko, Minesweeper, Audioligy (EA iOS game, maybe spelled wrong or recalled wrong) 

Missing loads. Are we counting shit like tetris? Then Columns and a load of other things. Oh yeah NotPr0n. Erm. Yes I like a puzzler. I especially like those I've mentioned. I like this thread. It can sink but I've bookmarked it.

Also never owned but have played and enjoyed Blue Toad & Tumble on PS3.

Would you throw the Laytons in here as well? Oh yeah, checking me steam account something I played recently but haven't found time for was Zenbound on Android. I'd also say the Edge series on Android.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Devil's Dice is fucking AMAZE. Did that ever get a ps3 retro release?

I had a ps1 and a copy floating around up until a couple of years ago, but the console finally died.

There's an XBLA (and probably PSN) title called Droplitz which is well worth a punt. It's probably cheap now (it was only 800 points on release anyway). A bunch of different modes, vanilla idea is great, responsive, and can go on and on or be short burst.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • @mk + muz. Yeah if you get only one kind of z its impossible to make a line without leaving a blocked hole. Presuming its completely random you'll eventually get a run of z that will fill up your bin.
  • I enjoyed Drop7 for a good while.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just remembered that Wetrix on PS2 is called Aqua Aqua - which may have misled those looking for a Wetrix fix on PSN. The basic Wetrix gameplay is there but there are some changes which I remember as coming over a bit unnecessary - will have to check it out again as it has been some time.

Devil Dice got an upgrade for PS2 called Bombastic which has the original game mode among it's options. Worth looking out for too.

The PS2 also got the budget release called Detonator which is set around demolishing buildings a floor at a time but in reality is a tile placement, slidey affair in a 2D grid that is pretty tough.
  • Shinji wrote:
    Picross probably wins it for me, along with Super Puzzle Fighter.  I never got my hands on Slitherlink, still regret that. Looks like it would've been fantastic

Slitherlink IS fantastic. Perfect pick up put down handheld puzzle material. I spent hours working my way through the whole puzzle collection and never got bored with it. No time limits but you get ranked for completing a puzzle quickly. There is a great sense of satisfaction with completing the bigger puzzles with a 3 star ranking.

Pullblox (3DS) and SpaceChem (PC) stand out for me from this generation. Great feeling when from a seemingly impossible situation something clicks and you've solved it. Sharing of user generated puzzles in both is a brilliant touch too.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Puzzle Quest.  Granted, the main game isn't particularly puzzley but there are puzzle grids hidden away in there.

Played the hell out of it on the DS
  • so does anyone fancy some tetris online somehow? either tetris friends or on th 3ds via tetris party delux or tetris 3ds? or if you have some other software i'm game.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I will no doubt have my ass handed to me and will probably regret it but what the hell:

Tetris Party (wiiware) 2280 1450 7550

Tetris Party Deluxe (Wii) 4727 3198 7402

and,,

Dr Mario (wiiware) 3958 2246 7343
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Landmaker... PS1 got this. Video is of arcade mode but the PS1 also got a more thoughtful and satisfying single player puzzle mode

aaahhh.... here it is

• hmm, i dont have a wii, i might get one though so we can play. How much is a wii these days?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought that I read about the Wii version of Tetris Party Deluxe linking up with DS players - but I may have been drunk - need to check. Will let you know.
  • Slitherlink (DS) was never released in this country was it?  Only Japanese version available as I recall?
  • I owned the shit out of this. Was very good, too.

• Jesus, I just pasted the first decent quality video I found of this game, but this player is fucking awful. Drop more lines, you fool!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I liked Bust-a-Move 4 for the Dreamcast and its tarot-based story mode.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Ok, this video is better, shows the VS mode off. Very Super Puzzle Fighter. Player still refuses to advance blocks when his board is practically empty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!