The Puzzle Head Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The PS1 version of Puchi Carat comes with a paddle controller which is more than nice. Also has several modes in addition to the arcade game. Think its also in one of the Taito Legends collections for Oldbox & PS2 but its just the plain old arcade mode.

I really like it but I found it pretty tough - there's a challenge style mode that times how quickly you can clear a set target number of lines (think it's 200) and don't think I ever hit the target!!

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    watched this - thought it was quite good - some of the skills on show are a treat..

• I bought the DVD. It's reasonable. I'm in a Facebook debate with they makers about how tough nes Tetris is compared to other versions. Also how they refer to "world" championships but don't feature any o the top tetris players outside the US. Who.. Are.. Frankly.. Better.

I love Tetris though so it resonated with me. When I was playing at my top level I was seeing every day things in tetrominoes and dreaming about Tetris.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    into Tetris myself in a big way though my skills don't match my enthusiasm. Going online with Tetris Party Deluxe removed any allusions I had about how good I am!

was a surprise when the TGM grandmaster guy didn't qualify for the last 8......but I'm guessing the limitations of the older control scheme caused him problems.

I have a competition in work lined up for next month (did one last year) on the SNES version (from the Tetris & Dr Mario cart) connected to a projector. We play a knockout format using Game B (1st to 25 lines with garbage on). Goes down very well.

I'd like see the top guys go head to head in 2 player - though maybe games would go on too long if they are well matched but I suppose if its played at a high  enough speed then that may break the stalemate. Do any modern 2 player modes throw garbage across for t-spins?
  • Did you watch the Tetris friends final a month or so ago? It's hard to follow if you aren't a knowledgable player as the play is faster than the recording. Go to harddrop.com and check the news for info/link etc. I watched it live but the recordings will be there. I'd bet that the players in the nes finals wouldn't stand a chance on TF. I've played again the woman in the film and admittedly she's good at Tetris friends and perhaps better than me in her tsd2 setups but her stacking and some of the stacking in that film is odd. Why no one was central stacking before when it's clearly hard to side stack is just stoopid :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Having a look at the tetris wiki made me realise just how hardcore tetris has become - reading about rotation schemes, randomiser bags, zangi moves about charging up auto shift and all that just blew my mind. Way above my appreciation....it reads like hardcore 2D fighter web sites.
  • :) welcome to my world

ARS/DAS and on and on
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    My life is currently being eaten by Bad Piggies and Bejewled 2, if they count as puzzlers. I'm also a massive fan of Picross games, and got stupidly excited when I found a copy of Denki Blocks in GAME, way back when.

Good call on Intelligent Qube/Kurushi, I played the shit out of the demo of that back in '97, iirc.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    :) welcome to my world

ARS/DAS and on and on

What's considered a decent 40line time in Tetris circles? Saw that mad video of some Aussie guy doing it in 25 secs on Lockjaw....

• Depends on the version obviously but I think my TF record is 45? That's considered respectable.
  • heres the vid of the final for those too lazy

• Surprised anyone actually enjoys watching an hour of someone else playing Tetris

Wetrix, as mentioned by others, was brilliant. Loved it. Genuinely surprised nobody's updated and re-released that formula. The dynamics of earthquakes could do with a bit of tweaking, though.

Hexic is also superb once you get an eye for what's going on. The learning curve can appear steep, at first. But given a bit of time it suddenly clicks and you'll feel like a genius.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Isn't Hexic a Pajintov game? Nice to know he isn't a one hit wonder.
  • If the stream could keep up it would be more interesting but yea I can watch Tetris.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Depends on the version obviously but I think my TF record is 45? That's considered respectable.

In that case I'm glad you don't have a Wii and tetris party to play me online - I would be a walkover for you and you'd only get bored......I'm working on busting 2mins!
  • Playing in a keyboard is very different to a pad. I had to use a stick for the Xbox version.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i guess so but still - a line a second - If I can get down to a line every 2 secs I'd be happy. I have the Taksunoko v Capcom stick which is really quite nice and responsive - might give it a try as it presents itself as a classic controller to the Wii which is supported by Tetris Party.

Playing 40line mode against the CPU at the highest AI level (15) in Tetris Party deluxe requires you to do 40 lines in around 65 secs to win.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The TvC stick is the da.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The main problem I have with hexic is the number of bombs that come up. I also have an issue with the number of colours that show up. Basically its a tough enough challenge at the start to get one black stone and id like it to be legitimately possible to get the three required to win without too.much luck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    The TvC stick is the da.

it is you know....put it into digital mode and it works a treat with Tetris Party - knocked a few secs off my best time with it straight off which is pretty good since it usually takes me a hour or so to adapt to moving from pad to stick. I'll stick with it for a while but really if i break 2 mins for 40 lines i'll be happy.
  • Enjoying TNNS on the iDevice, it has a nice soundtrack and ting.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What is TNNS?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'd assumed it was an acronym!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

And I thought Dr. Mario was a simple game......who would want a job like this??

http://www.google.com/patents/US5265888?printsec=description#v=onepage&q&f=false

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Tetris variant appetite will be sated for another while - just got Sega Tetris for Dreamcast in the post.

• What does the gambling reel do? The line delay looks quite slow with the Tetris animation. Low stacking is the key then. Let me know how it plays!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    wow - looking at the manual - it looks like it supports the system link cable for 2 vs 2 mode...really cool though it's unlikely I'll ever get to try that..

supports arcade stick and DC keyboard too - more coolness.

won't get to play this until tomorrow - will post then.

has got a mention on one of the tetris forums: http://tetrisconcept.net/forum/archive/index.html/t-119.html

link cable talk:http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3113
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have got some time in on this Sega Tetris game for DC - it's a bit of an odd one,

That little slot machine is in single player mode and it seems to track combos of line clears - for example 3 tetrises in a row will get you 3 matching crown symbols that give you a 100,000pt bonus. Getting 3 in a row of single clear(strawberry), double(cherry) or triples (banana) will get you smaller bonuses - so as far as I can see it isn't luck based in any way and really is like a little combo meter which is kind of cool.

The single player game will suddenly speed up and then slow down if you meet the right conditions (haven't figured it out yet) so it isn't a straight up tetris game.

The 2 player mode is a bit wild - attacks are different from standard tetris vs. 

A tetris will do the usual thing - 4 lines of garbage added to the bottom with a space for a straight line for a counter attack. The space doesn't seem to vary in a game (a criticism of Tetris & Dr. Mario) but given the other attacks you have it probably won't result in a tennis type of game that the T&DM variant would be prone too. 

The game also recognises splits - so if have 2 lines cleared in one move that are "split" it seems to generate a rocket attack that takes out some random blocks. 

Getting a triple sends a single line of garbage to drop from the top of your opponent's pit - with a single gap so it can be cleared (but leaves anything above it floating). 

Getting a split triple sends a stun attack over which lasts for a couple of pieces. Button mashing speeds recovery

A double forces the next two pieces to stick together before dropping into your opponents pit - your opponent can decide how they stick together in the next piece preview area - so they can actually be used to do a double tetris in one move given the right set of circumstances..the view zooms out when this happens which is a bit off-putting initially.

An interesting game then but don't know how the hard core would look at it as it appears to be a bit manic - but setting up those split line clears for attacks would be quite satisfying.

Control-wise it doesn't feel old but isn't modern either - you have wall kicks and two rotate buttons - but the lock down delay doesn't last that long which I guess is like the old arcade version of Sega Tetris. The auto repeat delay seems quite short (not too short) and the pieces move very quickly to the side when that kicks in. There is only soft drop - no had drops.
  • No hard drop???? Wtf?!?!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!